“Magic in the hills”
Review of Benedictus Steak House - CLOSED

Benedictus Steak House
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Benedictus is located in a volcano slope with a unique view of the valley o La Palma de la Fortuna and Monterrey.The restaurant its a beautiful wood building surrounded by pasture land and primary forest overlooking the valley.The lamb, cattle, pork and chicken we serve are breaded free range in the farm and we bring the vegetables from Tapezco a little town two hours away from Fortuna, where Mr. Juan Jose Paniagua, a Pioner in the organic agriculture in Costa Rica, produce the best organic vegetables. We are 800 metros away of the main road that link La Fortuna with the Arenal Lake. The gate its just in Front of the Volcano Lodge Hotel.
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I saw the sign on the road - Benedictus Organics - had no idea what it meant. I made my husband drive up this crazy road, he kept saying this is ridiculous. And then we were there. A romantic, unique farmhouse, like something out of a French film. All the meat is raised there, the veggies organic, the service impeccable. This is not for everyone, you have to want an adventure. But I highly recommend it. PS The tres leches cake was killer.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Best meat in la fortuna de San Carlos, literally Fresh off the farm and super romantic. If you go at note the path is really dark but ononce you get to the top and see the lights of the restaurant n the cows.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I were actually looking for a different restaurant. We couldn't find it and remembered hearing good things about Benedictus. We traveled up the stone road and thought, "we must be lost". Finally we arrive at the restaurant and it is a beautiful rustic cabin. We walk in and felt like we have been invited into someone's home. There are only 6 tables inside and it was a very intimate experience.

The food is incredible. Being from Los Angeles, we are familiar with the organic, free-range, grass-fed movement and the meat here is outstanding! Paired with flavorful vegetables, pescado ceviche, fresh baked bread with chimichurri sauce and to top it off… an excellent Plantain soufflé, warm brownie and a delicate tres leches. All coming from their own farm there on the premises.

I highly recommend getting their assorted meat dish. It comes with chicken, steak, lamb, and pork. I usually dislike lamb and it was my favorite here! Not gamey at all and on the bone, we were able to enjoy the marrow.

It was so good WE ATE THERE TWICE! Avoid La Fortuna's version of Applebee's like Lava Lounge. Come to Benedictus and have one of the best meal on your trip.

It is not expensive compared to everywhere else. Both times we had an app, one or two entrees, one or two desserts, and TWO bottles of wine for $100-$120 USD. That is rare to find in the US and we were pleasantly surprised.

Next time we'll go in the day time. We imagine the views to be incredible. But at night it is very romantic. GO!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Once you find the gate the 800m lane is that bad! It would be a nightmare if you meet someone coming the other way. My wife enjoyed the lamb. I ordered the tenderloin steak, but I don't believe I got tenderloin and I have eaten lots of tenderloin. I knew it was not on the first cut with knife, way too tough. Other wise it's a nice place and the staff seen nice. I think the view would be nice but it was dark when we where there. BTW the tenderloin I had at our hotel was far better (hotel royal corin)

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Had dinner here tonight and it was amazing. The road up is really not that bad, plus it's only 800 meters. We did it in the dark and it was fine. However, I am glad we didn't meet any other vehicles. The restaurant is tiny, 6 tables I believe, with a small prep area. The kitchen seems to be in the next building. It is beautiful, everything wood, with a big fireplace and floor to ceiling windows creating an amazing view. We were there at night but the views during the day must be spectacular. The food was excellent, we both had the filet mignon and thought it was one of the best we've had. We've found that steak in Central America tends to be "busy", but this one was just right. Cooked to perfection, with a nice peppery mushroom gravy and wrapped in bacon. Delicious. Price was very good, total was 38,000 colones/$76 for three meals and two wines. Service was also outstanding, Oscar was friendly, attentive and professional. Our baby fell in love with him and he was excellent with him, even offering to take him so we could eat in peace. They have high hairs, but it didn't have a "seat belt", so if your little one is a climber like ours there's nothing to keep them in. That is seriously the only half bad thing I can say!

In summary, I highly recommend eating here, but I would advise going hungry so you can take your time there to enjoy the food and the ambiance.