“You HAVE to come here if you're in the Arenal area!”
Review of Benedictus Steak House - CLOSED

Benedictus Steak House
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Benedictus is located in a volcano slope with a unique view of the valley o La Palma de la Fortuna and Monterrey.The restaurant its a beautiful wood building surrounded by pasture land and primary forest overlooking the valley.The lamb, cattle, pork and chicken we serve are breaded free range in the farm and we bring the vegetables from Tapezco a little town two hours away from Fortuna, where Mr. Juan Jose Paniagua, a Pioner in the organic agriculture in Costa Rica, produce the best organic vegetables. We are 800 metros away of the main road that link La Fortuna with the Arenal Lake. The gate its just in Front of the Volcano Lodge Hotel.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This restaurant is absolutely amazing! My boyfriend and I were staying in Arenal and really wanted to have a nice steak dinner. After reading the reviews on TA, we decided to try this one, and it did not disappoint. We got there around 6pm, and the road wasn't that bad, it was about 800 merers up a dirt road, so you would need a car or taxi to get up the road. We've seen a lot worse in our travels! It's definitely adventurous, which I'm assuming you would be totally fine with that if you vacation in CR (kinda goes with the territory!). We were the only people there, and the waiter was incredibly nice and attentive. My boyfriend had the Dijon chicken, which was so fresh and delicious! I had the peppercorn steak with homegrown veggies. I think this steak easily rivals some of the best steakhouses that we've been to at home and in our travels! Amazing flavor, incredibly tender, and so fresh tasting, a hundred times better than what you'd get in any supermarket in the US. I ordered mine medium because I've realized that CR's version of medium is the US's version of medium rare, and it came out perfectly. We also tried some dessert- my boyfriend had the brownie with ice cream (which both tasted homemade and fresh), and I had the plantain flambee with ice cream, and both were to die-for!

We had all this, plus 3 beers and water, all for $80 US, including tip. Coming from Seattle where this type of meal at a good steakhouse would easily be $150+, it was totally worth every penny. I highly recommend this restaurant! If you are in Arenal and want to have a great steak meal, please try this one!

3  Thank Ezelise B
There are newer reviews for Benedictus Steak House

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Would return in a heartbeat. 4*4 not necessary, but high clearance vehicle would be recommended. Very small restaurant that is a beautiful old house. Food is 5 stars, and Oscar our server was so friendly ! Great value for an excellent organic and locally grown steak ! Go for sunset :)

3  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Everything written about the rough and bumpy climb to reach this restaurant is true. It was a deceptively long and windy mile from the main road in La Fortuna . If we were to come again we will come in the day so we can see the view of the valey below. Our host and owner was gracious. Our meals were delicious - I had the lamb which was a bit tough; my husband's steak was fine. We especially love the ambience of having dinner in a chalet-like home on top of its own mountain. Lot of organic and home grown veg and free range chicken on grounds.

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

The road is not that bad. After reading reviews about how step the road up is. Don't let that stop you from going it is totally do able.
I had steak and it was great. Hubby had lamb which would have been great if there was meat on the bones. There was three rib bones on the plate which looked like a great portion but there was hardly any meat. Daughter had a hamburger which was great and other daughter had the pasta which she loved but i tasted and thought was not good.
I would still recommend this place for service fresh food and location with view.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Best service we experienced in all of Costa Rica. Server was extremely humble and attentive. The interior is a cozy cabin. The food was beyond excellent.