“On the side of a volcano you feel like a god”
Review of Benedictus Steak House - CLOSED

Benedictus Steak House
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Benedictus is located in a volcano slope with a unique view of the valley o La Palma de la Fortuna and Monterrey.The restaurant its a beautiful wood building surrounded by pasture land and primary forest overlooking the valley.The lamb, cattle, pork and chicken we serve are breaded free range in the farm and we bring the vegetables from Tapezco a little town two hours away from Fortuna, where Mr. Juan Jose Paniagua, a Pioner in the organic agriculture in Costa Rica, produce the best organic vegetables. We are 800 metros away of the main road that link La Fortuna with the Arenal Lake. The gate its just in Front of the Volcano Lodge Hotel.
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I ate here for dinner one of the nights of our honeymoon. We originally got dropped off at the old location so we were stuck at Kokoro. We called and the owner came to pick us up in his SUV to bring us up the mountain himself. After that I am not entirely sure what all factors combined together but it was honestly the best dining experience I had during almost two weeks in Costa Rica. The food was very good. I had the peppercorn steak and she had the chicken with blackberries. Both I would recommend. Mix the food with a bottle of rose wine and the friendly service from Jose and you feel like a king.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Gorgeous views and friendly, good service but slow. Food was bad. Octopus was mushy, pasta was nothing special. Not worth the prices or the drive up the hill.

Aesolano53, Owner at Benedictus Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

We do not recognise this gentlemen from Liberia. We always ask our guest about the food and service. Fortunately we have not had any complain yet.
The commentary looks suspicious and in fact were expecting this king of things because we are going up the rankings in trip advisor quite fast.
Our politics took us from the 5th place in this prestigious guide to the second in just two months and we will try hard to be the number one, but also know this will be a bumpy road with a lot of obstacles.
Our politics are to have happy customers and will do anything to compensate them when upset for any flaw we may have in our service.

Sorry for this unfortunate commentary, and sorry that this alleged client do not show his face. I already asked trip advisor to track the commentary because we fear will not be the last of this source.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I went there with my friend.
We were welcome by Jose and Andreis.
We were shown the property during day time.

We went back the day after for dinner and the place was quite busy. We were sitting by the fireplace .
The ambiance is very good. This place makes you feel like home. The food is a good quality and the coffee at the end of the meal was awesome.

You should definitely stop by and have a lunch or dinner just to experience the excellent service provided by Jose and andreis.

You won't regret it.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and me stumbled upon this place, reading their "Organics" board since we are vegetarians.. don't think we'd have entered if we'd known it was a "Steak House" .. Glad we didn't know !!
The place was fabulous, had one of the most spectacular views of the Arenal valley, and the chef whipped up the tastiest Galle de pinto we'd eaten the entire trip.
Chatted up with the owner after the meal, who gave us a small tour of the property and their rooms [they have two rooms for guests..]

A must go for anyone looking for an excellant ambience, with some great food and wine thrown in !

Aesolano53, Owner at Benedictus Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

thank you, was a great pleasure to have you in the restaurant. Since Benedictus moved from Kokoro Hotel we are serving free range meets and organic vegetables, so for those who are vegetarians do not hesitate in climbing up to our place.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Note the new phone number is 24791912.

The ceviche & fish special (fish with shrimp & light avocado sauce) were fantastic! Jose & Oscar were great servers - very friendly and attentive. I had the filet, which was cooked perfectly, but I would have preferred it without as much sauce - I should have asked for it plain or with sauce on the side, so it's partly my fault.

The dinner atmosphere was great - not rushed. I guess the whole restaurant can handle 5-6 tables max? It probably has a fantastic view in the early evening - when we arrived it was already dark.

I would go again next time I'm in town...

Thanks for your comments.
In fact we have four regular size tables and 2 big ones for six or eight persons inside and four big ones for 6 yo eight persons in the terrace and two small. We may accommodate 40 persons at the same time.
Our ceviche and chimichuri ( a parsley, garlic and olive oil sauce ) are our secret of the chef special dishes in the restaurant.