“The hike was excellente and I will do it again!!”

Cerro Chato ANC Park & Gardens
Book In Advance
More Info
$62.00*
and up
Arenal Volcano National Park Walk with Optional Hot Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: GreenLagoon Arenal Nature Conservancy Park & Gardens is a private Park, Trails & Gardens Preserve within its 400 Acre-Property. It is the closest property to the Extinct Cerro Chato Volcano, its Crater's Green Lagoon and the Fortuna Waterfall. There is a $10 Fee charge at the GreenLagoon InfoCenter or at the GreenLagoon Lodge to take this Hiking Tour. Parking facilities at no cost are available at the lodge. The Trails also lead to the Wildlife and Rainforest Preserve within the 400-Acre private property. You will have magnificent Views to Mountains, Arenal Volcano and the Valley of San Carlos here. If you decide to hike to the summit of Cerro Chato, the Lagoon or to the view point of Arenal Volcano at the summit, you will do it under your own risk and responsibility.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I can believe how amazing was to be hiking next to flowers,vegetation,frogs and toucans!!! It was so nice!! We took the tour from desafio hike,the guide was pretty explicit and he told us to be aware of the snakes,it was raining so hard! I must suggest to wear hiking boots because the rain is falling on and off and the mud is mixed with the wood (slippery ) you also must take a rain poncho and repellent for the mosquitoes ,our group was very nice but I saw two people falling because they didn't have the proper shoes,also take a lot of water with you!!! At the end the laguna chato is a beautiful paradise !!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

The staff was incredibly helpful and nice. The gave directions and informed us of places not even labeled on any map. The climb was long but extremely fun and enjoyable. The water in the lake can be a bit chilly but it's still good for a swim.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was a good hike. It is definitely challenging but I think it would be doable by anyone in moderate physical condition. It took about and hour 15 up and 45 min down. The short hike down to the actual lake and back up is definitely the steepest part of the whole hike but it's not very long. If you are from, or have been to Vancouver, and have done the Grouse Grind or the Cheif you will have no problem here. I did find it tough on my left knee coming down so if you have any knee concerns I would take a hiking stick.

When I got to the lake unfortunately the clouds fully rolled in and I could only see about 15 feet in front of me so I would suggest you shoot for a mostly clear day if you want to see the reward at the end.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was one of the hightlings of our trip. I was looking forward to do this hike for a long time. The taxi cab took us to the Cerro Chato entrance by the Waterfalls which according to him was the shortest hike up. The Observatory also have an entrance which is a longer hike and cheaper ($4) but if you start at the observatory and finish at the waterfalls you will also need to pay $10 at the park when you get there. We paid $10 per person and did the same route up/down. We wanted to go to the waterfalls after the hike.

The hike was not easy but is totally duable. It took us 1hr and 45min to get to the top and got down in 1hr 30min. It will take you apx. 3hours to finish all. 15 minutes after we started we were already tired but we kept going strong. Once you get to the top you will need to hike down to the crater to get to the lagoon. It's steep and you need to hold on to trees and roots to keep your balance sometimes. Vegetation was amazing! They told ous to keep an eye for the snakes but we didn't see any. Just be really careful if you deciede to go by yourself. You don't need a guide to do this hike, not even a map. The route is well maked and you won't get lost unles you do something that you are not supposed to . Just stay in the marked path.

Make sure you take lots of water with you, you are going to need it, and some sancks will help too.

Take a dip in the lagoon once you get there. It's worth it! We took our bathing suits and went for a swim. They say is deep but we stayed in the shallow area, you will feel that your feet sink in the sand a little bit after you get in, that felt weird but we didn't care.

It's beautiful and totally worth the hike. If you are in good shape and don't mind the extra excercise you should do this hike.

We did the waterfalls after the hike which it felt super good. We paid also $10 per person to get in there which I found it a little bit expensive but we didn't know better. They are very pretty and nice to see and take a dip in the water.

1  Thank JVTorres
Reviewed July 25, 2012

There are two ways to get to this Hike, one is via the Observatory lodge $3 per person and the other is Lagoon Green hotel $10. Have only done the Observatory route, which is all up and can be very muddy, Once you get to the top and can descend to the lagoon and take a swim, The decent is not easy to the lagoon or the return trip. We saw monkeys on the way down. This is just a great work out, about 3 hrs if your in good shape