“A Hidden Gem”

Coco Loco Art Studio & Gallery
More attraction details
Owner description: Coco Loco is a FAIR TRADE work shop & gallery for fine local crafts & artwork with a special focus on Costa Rican indigenous culture. It is located 14 km SE of La Fortuna on national route 702 (La Fortuna-San Ramon). Besides indigenous arts & Boruca masks Coco Loco also exhibits the original artwork (arte DK) of the owner, Ruth Deiseroth-Kweton, who works in her studio next to the gallery. As a mixed-media artist Ruth uses any kind of material of the surrounding rainforest to paint and work on: wooden artefacts and surfaces, plant leaves, stones etc. She creates masks, vases, mirrors, crosses and paintings.
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We heard about the gallery from thela Fortuna hotel because we were looking for original art which was not packed with tourists. We visited the gallery on our way to Alajuela. There were enough signs for the gallery that we did not get lost. Once, we got there, we noticed Alfons was working on a piece of art. He greeted us graciously, and told us if we have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask. As we walked around the back studio, we felt like the owners gave real meaning to art because it was a beautiful location in the middle of rainforest, mango tree at the entrance of the back studio and many more trees surrounding the property.
Alfons went over the significance of native masks called Boruka masks in details. Furthermore, he insured that the gallery gave each artist full credit of each mask along with the earnings. He was very polite and eager to explain how he and his wife moved from Germany and have come to love Costa Rica. We had a wonderful time at the gallery resulting in numerous purchases which all arrived in a timely manner. We enjoyed the conversation and would definitely go back.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Saw this quaint Art studio while driving towards tabacon/arenal volcano and so glad we decided to make the stop. Ruth was delightful and the assortment of treasures was spectacular. Do yourself a favor and make this a point of interest while going up to the volcano. You'll be glad you did!

Reviewed January 16, 2012

I decided to check it out based on the positive reviews and that it was right next to where I was staying. I wouldn't go out of my way to visit this place. It is a bit far from Fortuna. I went there with my husband and nobody greeted us. The art was okay. it was hard to focus because I was being bitten by so many mosquitoes...and I haven't had this problem on my trip thus far! Anyway, I liked the pottery but the rest wasn't so great. I was a bit annoyed because the owner never even said hello. I was walking to the next section and I assumed it was her and said hello and she acted strangely and didn't even respond. I was only sure she was the owner when I went to pay for my pottery. Very strange interaction. She just handed me a sheet that explained who made the work and that's it.

1  Thank paradois
artedk, Owner at Coco Loco Art Studio & Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2012

Thank's for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding my art gallery and craft workshop. I am certainly disappointed that your visit was not all that it could have been.

I am crafting my artwork in my own workshop and selling my pieces in my art gallery next door. I am aware that I have those moments when I am focused on my artwork and I am called to the gallery to attend visitors. Those are the moments I would love to have a sales representative taking proper care of my customers while I finish my artwork. On the other hand most visitors so far seemed happy to stroll through my gallery on their own without a salesperson on their heels. If they needed information or just wanted to chat I tried my best to be available. Now I am aware that I have to try harder and find the better balance between work and customer service in those conflicting moments.

My gallery is located in our own 20 acres rainforest reserve with tropical gardens and abundant wildlife. It is an open building blended into the lush tropical vegetation. I received many compliments so far for this combination of artwork and nature preservation. In fact, many visitors take advantage of the stop and walk through our gardens taking photos or just enjoying the touch with the rainforest. Unfortunately, mosquitoes are part of our amazing ecosystem. Really sorry that their presence interfered with your visit.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to our beautiful country was most enjoyable.

Ruth, owner & artist of Coco Loco Art Gallery & Craft Workshop

Reviewed December 23, 2011

Easily located along the road to Fortuna and Arenal, Galeria Coco Loco is a place I have visited more than once. The gallery is stocked with lovely pieces of quality local art of many types - my favorites are the masks and ceramics. I too, am tired of seeing mass-produced trinkets for sale to the masses and am on a quest to shine more light on true local art. In this, I applaud Coco Loco! Alfons and Ruth are knowledgeable and genuine - I spent some hours learning from their experiences and found my visit to be quite refreshing!
Hummingbird cottage is artistically appointed and comfortable and Ruth and Alfons are gracious hosts. My breakfasts were hot, delicious meals with fresh fruits, pipa and a pot of coffee. I enjoyed a tour of the property and delighted in the reforestation efforts there. I'm glad to recommend Coco Loco both as an art and B&B experience - pura vida!

1  Thank Knobwab
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Coco Loco is a great gallery to visit if you are in the La Fortuna area. They have goods from many of the tribes/locations within Costa Rica. It's also nice knowing it's a fair trade gallery where the tribes benefit from the sale of their crafts. Free shipping if you spend over $300 as other posters have stated as well, which is easy to do and is very nice so you don't have to carry your items back with you on the plane. We bought 2 boruca masks and can't wait to go back for more!

1  Thank Petro49er