“Excellent small and friendly hostel”

La Fortuna Backpackers
“Excellent small and friendly hostel”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Clean, friendly hostel with well equipped kitchen and basic but clean rooms. But best of all is the owner, Lilo. He gaves us great advice and booked good value tours and onward travel for us. Currently a lack of areas to relax in but Lilo is working on the garden and once the plants all grow and a few more hammocks added it should be great.

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Ist just simply the best place for backpackers in la fortuna. They got for sure the best prices and give the best dorms in the area. Don´t try others!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed here a couple nights during my spring break with my girlfriend and one other friend for a very low price. We had a private room and it was very clean. The bathroom and showers were also very clean. The staff is very friendly. They are always willing to help and they have a cookout most nights. We rented a car and they even offered us to park the car inside. I suggest to ask the staff at the hotel before joining any of the tours, because they tend to be expensive. This should be your first stop.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I should start by saying I'm not a hardcore backbacker. When we first booked this place for 2 nights I thought "Well, if it's bad then we just lost $8 a night, no big deal, NOTHING anywhere was this cheap". We were SOO pleasantly surprised! for the price it was A STEAL.
It was super super clean, basic, but clean. We were lucky because it was low season and they gave us a room with a double bed in it (and a bunkbed we didn't use) for the same price! We had a private room, towels, soap and a fan for 8$ a night per person! AMAZING.

Everyone is so friendly and helpful too! We got our clothes washed for half the priced we were being charged anywhere else in Costa Rica as they charge PER load which also makes a huge difference. Oh yeah! fast free internet included (bring your own laptop though). They also have a room of bunkbeds for ladies and one for men only in case you rather not go co-ed.

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BrendaD10
Zermatt, Switzerland
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Fortuna Backpackers is one of the best hostels I ever stayed. It's very clean, comfortable, cheap and the owners are very friendly and helpful with tours etc. There is a great kitchen and a nice place to watch tv. I can recommend this place to everybody who wants to stay in a cheap and great place. I would always return there. Thanks for everything guys.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 12, 2011

A very nice young owner who, I think, recently started this and the place doesn't seem well known yet. We only paid 6 USD per person in a 6-bed room and we were only three in it. The owner is very helpful, and he has a very good price not only for beds, but also for tickets to Baldi hot springs for exampel. His English was not very good but certainly understandeble and he really liked to practice the language. The kitchen could have been a little more cleaned, but it was alright. He could also maybee have a book-exchange just to make it even a little more cosy. But he's on a very good way and I'm sure, and I hope, this will be a good business for a local nice and helpful guy. A good budget choice, and the good marks is due to the price and for the helpful owner.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Myranm
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 14, 2010

The hostel is just a couple blocks from the bus station. I suspect many people don't know about it yet, because it opened in February and hasn't made it into books yet. The owner, Lilo, is extremely nice and helpful. I arrived with an injured knee and a cane and he went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable, carried my stuff, gave me ice for it, ordered me food, etc. He renovated his family's home, and has a new bathroom with showers, toilet stalls, a couple of sinks, all very clean and well designed. There's a place in the back with a small garden, hammock and a fooz ball table (for free), free wi fi, television, etc. I haven't seen this kind of quality for this kind of price in Costa Rica.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
#16 of 68 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
EcoHostel
EcoHostel
#15 of 68 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to La Fortuna Backpackers? Share your experiences!