“Venado caves was AWESOME”
Review of Sunset Tours

Sunset Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Sunset Tours provides amazing tours in Arenal, Costa Rica, since 1989. Enjoy daily adventures such as a volcano hike, relaxing hot springs, Cano Negro wildlife viewing, hanging bridges, canopy zip line and waterfall rappelling. We also can reserve private transfers all over Costa Rica, and custom tours. We look forward to providing authentic and memorable Costa Rican experiences. Now you can enjoy the new attraction, La Roca Canyoning.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you like caving you must check out this tour. Our guide David was great and we all had a blast. By far the best company and one of the best things we did in La Fortuna :) PURA VIDA

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"guide"
in 87 reviews

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Went with David our guide, he was amazing and very knowledgeable with the sorroundings in the rainforest. Taught us a lot about the history of Volcano Arenal and how the hot springs were formed from it.

P.S. Thanks for taking a picture of my hiking shoes!!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We selected an early time. So we were the only ones on the tour and received personal attention. Highly recommend a guide.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Sunset Tours is a reputable, honest company!
You will not be disappointed in their professionalism, tour ideas, and rates.
An added bonus is Tour Guide, Jason. He is professional, knowledgeable, and always adds a humorous quip to make any and all laugh and enjoy the trip!

See more reviews
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My friends and I went on the Venado Cave tour with David as our guide and it was great!!

Sorry that it is in English.

I almost didn't go because I had seen that there were a lot of tight spaces to climb through. Being that I am 6 feet tall (not super tall) and with poor ankles, I was nervous about climbing through small spots and everything. With the help of others I was able to make it through every nook and cranny. This would be harder for somebody who has trouble moving in weird ways like squatting often and so forth.

We were picked up promptly early in the morning. Our tour guide was named David and he was the BEST, no joke. He was fun, informative, nice, and a great guide. David was in the van with us and he gave us information on CR all the way to the caves. When you get there you get your helmet and walk to the caves. The walk is not hard, but it is not easy.

NOTE: You DO get wet on this tour. Where clothes you can move well in when they are wet. Bring an extra change of clothes and water shoes of sorts. They provide you rubber boots, but I wore J4-1 water shoes which seemed easier to use.

Inside the cave you use your head lamps to navigate. There were a ton of bats and bat guano. It is not cold inside, but instead it was humid. From the start you begin to duck down to climb through walls and so forth. You do not duck the whole way, but often in areas. You do get a chance to walk. David took us all around and explained to us a ton about the cave and it's inhabitants. We saw a rare spider thing and that was pretty cool. We also saw another huge spider thing and everyone took a picture with it.

We didn't go super far in the cave because the rest of the cave you can go in sometimes was closed to visitors that day. We did the photo package and I am so glad we did. I had a waterproof camera and I only got 4 good shots out of 50 because of the darkness and wetness. The photos in the package were of the cave and of your party. The photographer worked hard and ran quickly in the cave to get all of the people in our group in shots.

GO!! I hope you get David because he was WITHOUT a single doubt the best guide we could have asked for.