“Finger licking good?”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

This place looked really nice and clean from the outside and wraps and iced coffees sounded good and they were. But we ordered a fruit plate and I couldn't help but notice the guy who was making it was eating pieces of the fruit while he made it with no gloves on and he was licking his fingers every few seconds and touching the fruit after. I didnt eat any of it and I sure would want people to warn me if they saw that at a restaurant I was eating at. Just a heads up. I work in the food industry and this kind of stuff really grosses me out. He was also licking peanut butter off his fingers after he made the iced coffee with chocolate and peanut butter. Hopefully they read this and realize that grosses some people out. Would have been a much better experience otherwise.

1  Thank Honest_Aaron_Ca
TropicalChef, Owner at Gecko's Waterfall Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! This is the first time hearing of anything like this and our employees have been trained in food handling so reading this review was definitely a surprise. We immediately did another round of food guide handlers training. Thank you & we hope to see you again in Costa Rica!

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Had breakfast here a few times and I want to go back just for the banana pancakes. Great place to grab breakfast right before your rafting trip (Located next door to Wave Expeditions). Smoothies are also good. I didn't get a chance to grab lunch and try their sandwiches or salads, but I did hear one guest rave about their hearts of palm salad. Definitely a stop you'd want to make if you're visiting La Fortuna.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We dropped $30 on 3 plates and drinks. The funky monkey banana smoothy was good, but the sandwiches left something to be desired. My wrap had so much hot sauce on it, I couldn't enjoy the flavor and they forgot to put the pasta in my mom's "oriental pasta salad".

Reviewed April 4, 2012

nice sandwiches and wraps and breakfast! very good. Service is okay. its located right behind the Fortuna church.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

I write this because of the New York Tripadvisor member "Terrible" review. We were staying in a Rainforest Room at Tabacon, but refused to shell out $28 each for breakfast. We found Gecko. We were so pleased that we ate breakfast there, 4 days in a row.

Recommend the breakfast sandwich, breakfast burrito and the fruit plate. I do not drink coffee, but my wife says it is very good.

Staff were pleasant and spoke adequate English.

If you are looking for a NewYork deli style breakfast, I suggest you stay in NewYork.