“Bumpy fun”

La Pradera del Arenal Tours
Reviewed February 4, 2014

If you've never driven an ATV, don't worry, you'll get plenty of instruction, and you'll soon be off-roading almost like a pro, while enjoying amazing views of the volcano and the hills around it. The guides barely speak any English, but that's not what you're there for. Enjoy the views and the riding, don't think too much about what clever questions you can ask your guide, and you'll be fine. One word of caution: it gets very, very dusty, so be sure to bring a change of clothes.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I booked this ATV tour through a company in La Fortuna and were really happy with everything. We went early in the morning to avoid the heat, and they picked us up from our hotel which was a few kilometers outside town. There was only the 2 of us (maybe because we left before 8am), which is probably a big reason why we had such a good time. We got all geared up at their facilities, they provide helmets and bring water. I recommend wearing light cargo pants, t-shirt, and sunglasses, we also brought a small backpack with a camera etc. Since we have quads at home and are pretty familiar with how to ride, our guide went pretty fast. First we went on some dirt trails through a field where our guide figured out our skill level. The we went down a gravel road which lead to more trails through hills and forest. After over 3 hours we went back and had a delicious traditional Costa Rican lunch (included in the tour), the portions were huge and it was better than most restaurants we'd been to in town. The whole thing was about $45 each and well worth the price if you can manage to go on your own like we did. As someone who knows a little about quads, I just want to say that this place maintained their machines better than any of the other quad tour providers we've seen in central America. Bald tired are the norm, but not here!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had several of us in the tour -- may be 12 or more ATVs. Some can take one person and others can take two persons.

They make you drive it in two places: one near base of the volcano and the the other on remote public unpaved road with hardly any traffic.

ATVs are fun if you know what you are doing. They are easy to tip over. We almost got tipped over when my daughter drove it. So I took it over as some places near volcano the terrain is tough, rocky, curvy with some slopes.

The second place is on the public unpaved road which takes you to a stream/small river. This road is pretty straight and easy to drive but it has couple of bridges with no rails.

If you are a beginner, I would avoid those two bridges and some parts near Volcano. Other than that, it was fun to try this tour. It has wonderful guides - very patient and accommodating.

The tour ends with lunch or dinner depending on the time of the tour in wonderful restaurant. Food was very good.

They pick you from your hotel. They are 10 minutes from La Fortuna downtown.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was the worst ATV tour I've taken. You do a few circles through some open farm land, and then you ride down a rock road (a public road) until you get to a little river to swim for a few minutes. This was a waste of time and money. Since I hadn't gotten my ATV and mud fix, I went to Original Arenal ATV. Original rocked! They let you have fun and take you on real trails.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had a great time on this tour. We were the only ones on the tour so we were able to take our time and enjoy the scenery, as well as spend some extra time down at the river.