“Our waiter HATED Americans” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Que Rico Arenal

Que Rico Arenal
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Costa Rican
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Our waiter HATED Americans”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

On our second trip to CR/Arenel, we ended up here in a bad storm even though our hotel does not recommend this restaurant. We sat down and were ignored the first 15 minutes although the British family next to us (that sat down after us) were immediately attended. Finally we were brought bread and water. I could see the waiters grumbling over who was going to take care of us. After about 10 more minutes, our waiter (Melvin) came over. He did not introduce himself, he did not ask what we would like to order he merely said "Ready/" and began looking distractedly around the restaurant. I speak a little Spanish and always try to use it. I told him (in Spanish) to hold on that we had not ordered drinks yet. He acted very annoyed and put out but took our drink orders. 15 more minutes later we had our beers. He took our food order, gave us more annoyed expressions over our request for two checks and then walked away never to be seen again until the checks were brought to the table. The food was average at best. At the end of the meal I found Melvin and asked him if he had a problem waiting on Americans. He actually laughed at me and corrected my Spanish. Really? I try to never be that typical American tourist that starts jabbering off in English just expecting people in other countries to understand and serve me. We finished our heated discussion and I told him that I would be writing this review. He laughed again. Maybe the other waiters would have been nicer our just not flat out rude to our faces but the food isn't even worth it anyway. If you are from the United States, I would not go here. You will leave angry and disappointed. There are so many fantastic restaurants in Arenal/La Fortuna, don't waste your time with theses people. They don't like us and they don't want our money. Good Riddance.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
soyafortunado, Propietario at Que Rico Arenal, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Mr. Alabamaliz

Thank you for your review and letting us know about your personal experience at our restaurant. We are taking actions to guarantee immediate improvement for future customers. We want to let you know that we love American tourists and have many North Americans that visit us several times while they are in the Arenal Volcano area, some even repeat when they come back to Costa Rica for their second or third trip. For me as co owner of the restaurant our waiters way of serving you is not acceptable and I want to sincerely apologize with you. I do hope when you come back to Costa Rica you visit us again so you may experience the real service of Que Rico restaurant. I look forward to meeting you in the future!.

Thanks again for your opinions.

Best Regards,

Hernan.

• Hebrew first
Alta Loma, California
“Best in La Fortuna!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was a real find! Very nice atmosphere, great location, good service, and great food. This Italian restaurant has a great view of the Arenal Volcano and has wonderful floor to ceiling glass to get the best views. This is a great place to eat for couples or families.

• Visited August 2013
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Nothing Bad, but nothing Great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I visited Costa Rica in June of 2013. We spent almost two weeks there. Prior to arriving, I planned almost our entire trip solely through using Tripadvisor Reviews. We promised that when we got back that we would write reviews on all the places, restaurants, and excursions we participated in to give others who might be planning a trip to get good honest feed back.

We stayed in the Arenal Volcano area at the Arenal Springs Resort and Spa (Highly Recommended). After a day of activities we were hungry and did not want to eat at the hotel and knew that Que Rico Arenal was right nearby. You could probably walk to it from the hotel if you really wanted, but it was night, and raining so we took the taxi from the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel there was only about 6 other people in the restaurant. We were promptly seated when we arrived. As like much of Costa Rica it was a hot and humid evening and inside the restaurant it was muggy and the air even with the ceiling fans did not circulate that well. They have a decent sized menu with many options. We had heard good things about the pizza here and we each ordered one. The size of the pizza's were around the size of a large in the USA if not a little bit bigger.

The pizza was a good wood fired oven style pizza. Neither of us was able to eat all of ours and we got a to go box. The service at the restaurant was slow (even slower than the standard you come to expect in some parts of Costa Rica). Having lived in Costa Rica in the past, I would rate the speed of service as below average, especially with only 6 other people in the restaurant. I would hate to see what happens when they have a large crowd.

The price was a bit expensive, but when you are not in the city of La Fortuna it is to be expected and it is on par with what I would expect to pay in regard to its location.

It was a good switch up from what we had been eating. Like stated in the review there was nothing bad about this place (other than the speed of service), but there was nothing either that made it stand out from the norm.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Andrew S
Western Maryland
“Good Pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

After many trips to Arenal, this is the fist time we stopped at Que Rico! It has a lovely view of the volcano. We has the pizza, which was very good. It is a bit pricier than some of the other pizza establishments in town, but we would definitely eat here again. During our visit, we noted a large tour party and they appeared to be well organized in serving that large group. The restaurant is spacious and would make a nice stop for a large party. Our service was also good.

• Visited July 2013
NJ
“Nice meal, a little pricier than other options in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We ate dinner at Que Rico and thought the prices were on the high side (after eating at a few other options). The food was very good, although our meals came out at different times. As I recall, two of us were almost done with dinner (and this after waiting a bit before starting) before the other two got their food. I much prefer if we are all served at once, or at least within a shorter period of time. That being said, the food was good, though not especially memorable. We chose to eat outside (under an awning), but most of the tables were indoors.

• Visited July 2013