“Pizza pizza”
Review of Anch'io

Anch'io
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had the pizza and it was so good. I didn't think we would finish it all but we managed to. The kids loved it too.

There are newer reviews for Anch'io

Reviewed May 21, 2014

So let me start by saying that the food was amazing. The pizza and pasta taste homemade.

Now for the bad service part. My girlfriend and I went in here to try it out on our vacation in Costa Rica, and from the moment we sat down we were treated rudely. We were greeted by a younger male waiter with a faux hawk style haircut and I think blue contacts. He asked if we spoke Spanish and we replied "no" with a smile and he said "no problem" as he spoke English. He went to get menu's and when he returned He asked what we wanted to drink and I then said "My girlfriend is vegetarian we'd like to look that over to decide if we're going to eat here" and he said "Drinks first!" In a snappy manner. So we ordered out drinks and contemplated leaving before he returned but we decided to stay because maybe it was all in our heads ya know? So when he returned he went over all the vegatarian options for my girlfriend very quickly, and walked off( no lie).

This is where it got really bad. Then over the next 10 minutes he proceeded to ask us if we were ready to order 8 times ( I counted). On the 8th he returned and looked at my girlfriend and said "You're ready, yes????" Almost pressuring her into ordering and then when I asked to seperate the checks he proceeded to sarcastically say aloud in front of other customers "You want separate checks right?" with a sarcastic
smile. We assumed he was rude to Americans but everyone else in the bar was also American at the time we were there. The only difference between everyone else and us was that I am African American and my girlfriend is white. Now I'm not saying he is racist but I have no idea why we received the service we did? I asked for the checks early and he proceded to do EVERYTHING but bring our checks. It seemed as if he purposely made us wait longer.
In confusion maybe this guy was having a bad day, but this was our WORST experience in Costa Rica.

1  Thank Nopenotdoingit
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We showed up to this restaurant with a large group of 19 people without a reservation and they easily accommodated us. The food was very good (Italian food) and the prices were excellent. The staff was great at recommending house specialties and the service was very quick.

We had a person in our group who was celiac and the restaurant was able to cater to her dietary needs.

A great meal in La Fortuna!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is an open air style restaurant that is so common to Costa Rica and not at all uncomfortable, even on the rainy night we visited. Being Costa Rica, you have to understand going in that you're going to get someone's interpretation of Italian cooking which may or may not satisfy. To that point the two dishes my wife and I had were tolerable but that was about it. The seafood in her Fruti di Mare pasta were overcooked and tough. My dish had a nicely cooked down and flavorful sauce but then they added fresh tomatoes to it. Why?? The pasta was drowning in this concoction and struggled to maintain a noticeable presence. I believe this is consistent with dining in Costa Rica in general, which is to say ho hum.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

After eating Costa Rican food for several days, my son told me he wanted to eat pizza. The pizza was excellent - wood oven, thin crust, salad and past was also good. nice find in La Fortuna

1  Thank LisaDL