Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$234
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$178
$95
  • Breakfast included
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$450
Bookit.com
$256
$201
Arenal Manoa Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$288
$136
Hotel Mountain Paradise(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$234
$143
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Lodge(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$113
$96
  • Breakfast included
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$490
Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$108
$86
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Lomas del Volcan(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$144
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmud bathtour of the propertypineapple houseoff the beaten pathdirt roadcosta ricacommon areas arerustic experiencespring fed poolplants and animalsbeautiful junglefruit treesnatural springwaterfall hikelove naturethe main housepura vida
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Perhaps we were there on an off week (early May, 2014) but I could not let our experience at Princesa go unheard. First of all, everyone who I communicated with via email was extremely nice and helpful. We had to make a last minute change to our dining request for our 1st night there due to having my Mom & Step Dad arrive in CR a day later than planned and it was no issue. We were excited about the grounds, and the structure itself is awesome, but the problem was that outside of our rooms, the whole place was dirty. We have stayed in 12 different establishments all over the country of CR and never have we encountered one with such a level of neglect to basic cleanliness. Usually Ticos take great pride in keeping their homes and businesses clean, even when places look like dumps from the outside. This was definitely not the case at Princesa. In fact, there seemed to be nobody there who was designated to clean and all 3 mornings that we were there I went downstairs to make coffee and the coffee pot would be still on from the night before with burnt coffee cooking away and every single dish from dinner would still be dirty and sitting in and around the sink with swarms of gnats and other insects on them. Again, this is HIGHLY unusual for CR, particularly due to the number of insects that are around, waiting for opportunities like this. I have 4 dogs and 2 cats and was a Deadhead in my teens and early twenties, so I am definitely NOT a clean freak, but this place was gross. An animal came and pooped on the porches every night... no big deal except that it SAT there the whole time!! Nobody ever cleaned it up! I was truly dumbfounded by the whole experience since this place could be absolutely beyond amazing, not to mention that it is one of the most expensive places that we have ever stayed in CR, yet was certainly the most poorly kept. Even in our room there was a vase of flowers (you pretty much always get fresh flowers in your room in CR) that was old and rotting and had gnats on it. My Mom and Step Dad both stepped in dog poop on 3 separate occasions (the dogs are very sweet, btw, though Luna was extremely ill while we were there and may be gone at this point :()... we had giant cockroaches in our bathroom (I know it's the jungle but I've never seen roaches in any of the other 12 places we have stayed and I have to believe it is because of how utterly filthy the kitchen was). I had to actually ASK the "volunteer", who I guess was in charge, if they would please clean the poop off of our deck and get some of the dog hair off of the furniture on our deck, which was COVERED in it, because my Mom was arriving that day and it being her 1st time in the country I did not want her to be grossed out and have nowhere to sit that she felt comfortable. They acted like I was being a pain in their butt, even though they said that the deck area was "due for cleaning". Huh?! I would think that the whole place would be gone through every day, like any other hotel in the world! Again, I don't think they had anybody there who was supposed to do the cleaning, or landscaping, or anything except cook food in the gross kitchen, which cost extra and which we canceled our last meal due to my Mom going to wipe her hand on a dishtowel and having 300 gnats fly out of it as she touched it. Not to mention that the food we had eaten there was not good (dinner was super salty) outside of the delicious pineapple, which comes from the property, so that is cool. The woman, Yasmine, who cooked breakfast, simply sat around at the table all day instead of making herself busy doing even basic chores. Maybe she doesn't get paid, who knows. Weird. I have never felt uncomfortable in this beautiful country, but I felt uncomfortable here. Nobody was particularly friendly except the 2 volunteers who live in the house up the driveway. I didn't even attempt to walk through the garden trails because they were so overgrown and we were told by Wayne, the male volunteer, that there were trees laying in the waterfall that needed to be pulled out (why do today what you can put off until tomorrow, huh?) so it wasn't much worth seeing. Needless to say, we were all very disappointed by our experience here and had I not paid 100% for the rooms in advance, we would have left after the first night. Again, not being the neatest of folks ourselves, I am very surprised that I don't see more commentary on how dirty this place is, ESPECIALLY the disgusting kitchen, but maybe we just ended up there at the wrong time. I know that the owner, Jonathan, had left several weeks prior to go to his home in San Jose, so maybe that was the problem? Regardless, I truly hope that they clean this place up because it really could be SO awesome with a bit of TLC and regular maintenance... and perhaps some folks who seem happy to be there!! OH, on a positive note, the beds were SUPER comfy! Probably the best we've ever had in CR... if you can sleep after seeing the giant cockroaches with their beady little eyes staring at you from the bathroom a few feet away!

Room Tip: The balcony room away from the kitchen was spacious but the old bathtub in the bathroom proved a challenge to my 73 year old Mother. The beds in both balcony rooms are super comfy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank bowwowkitty
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Princesca de la Luna offered me the experience that I expected from Costa Rica, nestled in a private piece of rainforest with a view of Arenal Volcano, this hotel was rejuvenating and absolutely beautiful. The entire time I kept saying, "I cannot believe I am able to afford this experience!" William and Chaquilla (the dog!) are assets to Princesca and made the experience particularly enjoyable.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ablondieqt
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Was an incredible experience in Costa Rica, The hotel is a little piece of paradise in the jungle, and the Volcano view is awesome! Favorite place in Fortuna, really you have to come and see by yourself this beautiful place.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank jchidalgo
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on our honeymoon and it was just what we were looking for! Rustic, quiet, beautiful and romantic. Absolutely everything you would want if you are vacationing in the rainforest! The staff was amazing! The home Cooked meals were delicious! If you want a true rustic Costa Rican experience this is your place! We will be coming back!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here! We couldn't get enough of the relaxing hours sitting on the porch watching all the birds, making cocktails with the great rum we bought in town with the fresh juice that was plentiful at the lodge. We saw toucans and birds of every color just from our porch vista. Our hosts were wonderful, very friendly and accommodating (but very unintrusive too so we never lacked for privacy.) They even did worked with me to do a surprise birthday celebration for my wife, complete with birthday cake! We ate great meals with lots of fresh fruit every day. And loved the outdoor shower too. If you are looking for peace and quiet away from the crowds this is the place. Note that there are a couple of dogs who live on the grounds and who love the couches, but they are very sweet. The grounds of the lodge feature gorgeous plants, and the decor give it great character. Get the flight in to La Fortuna if you can, we had be picked up and driven to San Jose, which is a long drive. Note also that is about 2 hours away from places like Monteverde, we recommend the local canyoning treks with zip lines and waterfall repelling. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family