“Awesome jungle hideaway”

Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We loved this place!
Staying here was a true high-light of a very well-highlit trip to Costa Rica my husband, my 7 year old daughter, and I took in June. This place is really special.
The lodge itself is really nice- the deck is huge and comfortable with lots of lounges to take in the wide open view over the jungle below and to the volcano (dormant now so don't expect any spewing) or to spectacular evening thunderstorms. We spotted lots of birds from here- eagles and toucans. The bedroom was big and comfortable and we liked the outdoor shower (there's an indoor one too!). The lighting could be improved in the bedroom because it gets a little dark- we actually used our headlamps at night. The kitchen and dining areas are open (ie no doors, no windows) and really beautiful- views out to the jungle everywhere. One might expect to find lots of critters given the open-ness of everything, but aside from a few geckos, we had no such encounters. I'm petrified of spiders- didn't see a single one.
Right out from the lodge are well-maintained paths that take you down jungle paths to a small pool and, further in, a creek leading to a waterfall. Our explorations into the jungle were accompanied by Chiquita and Paco- a couple of the dogs that happily roam around the lodge. Being a dog-lover is definitely a requisite as the dog presence is high!
The meals at the lodge, all cooked by Jasmine, are fantastic. Fresh juice from fruits I'd never tasted, full meals with desert. Yum.
One of the issues that concerned us most when we booked a room with the lodge was its location- because we didn't rent a car and we wanted to get into La Fortuna for tours, etc, we were concerned about being too remote. It is indeed a bit of a trip into town! And it costs about 8 dollars, one way, for the 20 minute, very rough ride. A rough enough ride that we actually had one taxi driver turn us down! No regrets, though. The remoteness wasn't a deal-breaker for us and we appreciated having the jungle all around us to explore.
Finally, a word about the hospitality- Esteban was the guy we communicated with when we made the reservation and answered all our questions, etc. He wasn't at the lodge while we were there but we were well taken care of by Jasmine and Katrina. We did, however, eventually get to meet Esteban who went to heroic efforts to reunite my distraught daughter with the stuffed animal she left behind at the lodge. He actually hand-delivered it to us at the hotel where we were staying in San Jose, the last night before our departure back to the States! Great people, great lodge. Wish I was sitting on that deck now, drinking from a coconut.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 900Jessica

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I´ve been at Princesa de la Luna 4 times already, I love how peaceful this place is, I feel like at home but with beautiful views. I really recommend this place if you are one of those that enjoy nature and a peaceful place to stay.This is the perfect place for family, friends, couples, even if you go on your own, I was able to go to the Arenal Volcano in a matter of minutes, I love walking in the middle of nature and get to its pool to have a nice time, and because of its location it is very private. Hope you enjoy it the same way I do!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marcela S
Reviewed July 24, 2013

To be fair, my family and I were not prepared for just how Eco this ecolodge is. Bizarrely, there was no one around when we arrived, in the swelter of late afternoon, after a really rough ride up to the lodge. The pool was empty, the veranda was nice enough but would feel too crowded with more than a couple of people. We sat on the veranda, walked around the grounds for an hour and still no sign of a soul. There's no ac, the fan in our room didn't work, and did I mention there was no one around? It felt like the zombie apocalypse, which would be the only time I'd consider staying here. It is a step up from camping, but for the price, didn't seem worth it. Oh, and I never got my money back.

Room Tip: Don't go here unless you want a step up from camping
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank LSinNJ
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Definetely Luna Ecolodge is a very unique place where you will really enjoy GREEN LIVING; it is an amazing ecofriendly refuge, and its rustic buildings with hardwoods brings you such great atmosphere to get relax, we love it !!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoaneHowell
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I gave this hotel a 5 star review and I stand by it. But you need to know there are a few quirks, although, I think these quirks make it all the better. 1st, you should have your own car and preferably a 4 wheel unit. The dirt road is rough with steep hills. If the road is wet it is going to be very difficult to get in or our. 2nd the drive up the road takes just as long as it does to get into La Fortuna. 3rd, the cabin we stayed in is plain and a little buggy, although it didn't bother me but it might bother others. We were in a cabin away from the main building which was nice and quiet, there were a few bugs inside, but who cares, you are in the rainforest and they don't bother you. The views of Mt Arenal are truly amazing from this hotel and next time we come we will definitely be staying here again. Also, the food was nice although dinner was a bit pricey.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank IndianaGeologist
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I wanted my girls to experience Costa Rica and not from a resort. This place worked perfectly.Simple accommodations with very friendly people. Jonathan is awesome and very helpful.I would recommend renting a car since it is expensive to take taxi when you want to get around. It is a beautiful place and beautiful country.

Room Tip: rooms 1 and 2 have great views
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank terri j
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Arriving at the lodge at dusk, I was first struck by the well proportioned rooms, and the spacious veranda. I then went swimming in the exquisitely set pool, under large fern trees, showered by warm tropical rains; I haven't felt that alive in many years. The friendly owner and his local staff then cooked up a sumptuous traditional meal for us—I literally thought that the starters would have been passable as a whole dinner! We spend some unforgettable afternoons in peace and quietness on the property, just gazing into the forest and waiting for the volcano to lift its cloud cover (which it dramatically did in the end). We ended up staying an extra night.

All that being said, this property is being developed as a working fruit farm and the staff is stretched thinly by their many ambitious projects. There are many minor (and, depending on your standards, not so minor) issues; just read all the reasonably sounding reviews carefully and you will get the picture. But I couldn’t imagine a nicer place to watch the colourful birds and butterflies, peak into the cloud forest on the mountain slopes leading towards Monte Verde, and slowly sip a cup of coffee.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple