“Avoid this hotel like the plague!”
Review of Hotel Vagabondo

Hotel Vagabondo
Auckland, New Zealand
“Avoid this hotel like the plague!”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My brief stay at Hotel Vagabondo has been my worst accommodation experience to date after 6 months travelling through Central America. I made a reservation in good faith according to what their website had advertised, but found the hotel did not provide the services it promised. There was no WiFi when I arrived, although they did fix it a few hours later, there was no hot water at all, and when I went to find someone to help me, the whole place was locked up! This was just after 8am and there was not a soul to be found. The website also said that breakfast was included, but when I went to have breakfast, the restaurant was dark and deserted! So with no one around to call a taxi, I walked 20 minutes in the poring rain into the town centre to look for alternative accommodation. I found another place and got a taxi back to Vagabondo to get my things and leave. I tried finding someone to tell them I was leaving, but to no avail, so I left. I then sent them an email to explain the situation. They were incredibly rude in reply, blamed me for the situation and went ahead and charged my credit card for 4 nights' accommodation. I recommend never staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Never stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Susan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 21, 2014

The hotel is a 15-20 min walk from downtown La Fortuna, which is a pretty good location, since it's not as noisy or crowded. The room (number 8) I got was a tad bit small and only fit a bed and a nightstand. But the facilities were pretty clean. One concern I had was that, since all of the rooms were on the ground floor, there were lots of big ants coming into the room, especially when it's raining. I tried stuffing the cracks in the door, which helped a bit, but the hotel owner could definitely do more to keep the bugs out. Otherwise, the decor in the room was nice, and the AC was comfortable. The reception desk was in a separate building (in the gift shop), so I was a bit concerned about security, since it seemed like anyone could just walk into the vicinity of the rooms. But no issues came up during my stay (maybe the area is just generally very safe?)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Vagabondo for two nights. It was a great little spot and breakfast is included. There's a little pool in the back, which was perfect as it was really hot out. The room we had did not have AC (they do have AC rooms) but the fan over the bed was fine. The hotel is a few kilometers away from the main city centre and has a perfect view of the volcano. There are plenty of restaurants in the area. It was a perfect spot for us to spend two nights in La Fortuna.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Great place for a great price. Good location, very near many hotspring, arenal park, and the waterfall. easy walk to la fortuna. friendly staff. Good breaktfast, nice clean rooms. Very good & safe. Fun souvenier shop

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Difficult to find (stopped about 5 times for directions) - turns out they had a sign on the ground painting it by hand as we were trying to find it....but there are two small banners indicating the hotel and pizzeria. Not enough signage, in my opinion. Once we checked it, we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room, and that it looked as if it had recently been remodeled. Very colorful and very large room, tv, no fridge, nice bathroom. Small parking area - be cautious as cars park tightly, scratched our rental car. Bathroom - have soap and shampoo (which wasn't always the case at other hotels we've seen), bring conditioner if you want it ANYWHERE. The shower has temperature issues: there are instructions on how to use it on the wall, but no, the water seemed incapable of becoming hot. Definitely had cold showers. Breakfast in the morning is served at the pizzeria - told us it started at 7am, which was good because we were leaving early for the airport...but the staff didn't arrive until 7am, which caused a delay in a tight schedule. But they did a great job, the breakfast was excellent. They serve coffee and juice, and offer 3 options for food: 1. pinto tipico (rice&beans, eggs, toast, fruit), or 2. ham & cheese croissant with fruit and eggs , 3 is some variation of that....we obviously selected the other two - they were very good, prepared and served as if ordering in a restaurant. One of the ladies also worked the gift shop/reception counter and offered to take our room key so we could leave right after breakfast. Overall, a great value and we'd be back.

Room Tip: Rooms at back facing pool are peaceful and offer a bit of an escape
Post Falls, Idaho
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We only spent one night here, on our way from the North back to Alejuela. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms in back by the pool offer a pleasant get-away from the highway.

Were traveling with another couple and so we had a long dinner at the Pizzeria, even played cards. The staff was fun to interact with and was happy to have us hang out there.

The next morning we had breakfast that is included. We didn't even know that we got breakfast, and it was made to order.

We enjoyed our stay here, wish it was longer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised at how lovely this tiny one story hotel was. When we were dropped off I was just expecting a clean bed, warm shower and not much more! Then they took us to our lil bungalow style room in the back...with the pool right outside the gorgeous spacious room!!!! The street is lined with tons of restaurants , sodas, bars and a supermarket. There is a restaurant on the small hotel's property that gives you a free "traditional or typical " breakfast per person. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating. If you choose to go you will not be disappointed. The check-in is also the souvenir shop with a lot of reasonable priced items.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms in the back next to the pool!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple