“Best cuisine in town, but expensive (as the others, too)”
Review of Don Rufino

Don Rufino
Reserve with OpenTable
Don Rufino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish, Central American, Costa Rican, International, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our cuisine features a contemporary concept, influenced by the classic European cuisine, Asia and Latin America, from an eloquent and modern perspective. Our steaks are locally produced, with very high farming standards; and our seafood and fish dishes are amongst the preferred by our guests, for whom our menu also offers many vegetarian options, made with ingredients which, in most cases, are harvested in our own farm, pesticide-free.
San Francisco, California
“Best cuisine in town, but expensive (as the others, too)”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Food was fantastic, there is a Chef who knows his stuff, gourmet quality. The location and Service is ok, but does not have the high standard of the Food. Can recommend, would go again.

• Visited August 2014

Dallas, Texas
“Good food, service just ok”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The food was good, but the service was lacking. My husband had the pork chop & really liked it. I had the Sauteed Grouper and thought it was just ok. The place wasn't busy when we were there so we were confused on why the waitress was slacking.

Visited April 2014
San Jose, Costa Rica
“A delicious lunch with fast service”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We had a fantastic lunch at Don Rufinos when we were in La Fortuna in February. The place looks quite non descript as you arrive and get seated, you would never be able to guess the delicacies this restaurant will treat you to. The refrescos naturales (natural fruit shakes) are delicious and can be had with milk or water as a base along with any of the many great fruits on offer that day. Definitely worth a try for both old and young!

We ordered the Risotto Kabocha which was absolutely mindblowingly delicious with chicken and jumbo prawns, the 1/2 chicken Pollo al estilo de la abuela which was also so tender and juicy as well as the Pasta de Carlos. The dishes were huge and the food delicious. We had two babies with us and got high chairs immediately to seat them in as well as great and fast service. Highly recommended!

• Visited February 2014
Milford, Ohio
“Great food and excellent service”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I had a lovely meal with excellent service at Don Rufino. The food was inspired by the local culture and was amazingly prepared to bring out those flavors.

Visited July 2014
New York City, New York
“Um... Yeah. F for Value”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Let me preface this by saying I live in NYC and am somewhat spoiled by the food offerings I can take advantage of.

I wanted a nice meal to end my La Fortuna experience before heading back to the states. I picked Don Rufino because of its fairly high ranking on TA. Here is my take on it.

Restaurant: It's a really clean and nice place for La Fortuna. Honestly if you walk around to some of the other joints, they are not as well put together as this place. So they get the "A" rating for looking the nicest in La Fortuna.
Food: Here is the kicker because food is why what brought us here. I think alot of people would agree that we would in in hole in the wall joints if the food itself justified it.

I ordered the ceviche appetizer cause of the previous comments on the TA writeups for this place. Here is my take on it. The product itself is pretty fresh and nice. Except.. the ceviche is DROWNED in lime juice to where its a bit too overpowering. Maybe it should be called ceviche soup with the amount of liquid there. Also.. if im at a nicer type establishment.. I dont mind you giving me crackers that have been opened. Handing me a plastic pack of crackers on a plate for my ceviche at this type of place kinda just sent a mixed msg to me.

Main: I ordered the sirloin medium rare. Temperature was spot on with a decent crust on the outside. Once again.. I come from NYC.. so having two dipper cups of sauce to go with the steak is a sin. And after biting into the steak I understood why those dipper sauces were provided. Maybe its a Costa Rican thing.. but I'm used to steak being somewhat flavorful on its own. This steak had no flavor what so ever. Not sure if the chef just doesn't believe in salt and pepper on the steak beforehand? Also.. maybe this place needs to talk to its butcher because a muscle tendon was running straight down the middle of my steak. Sure I can cut around it.. but honestly the butcher can give you a better cut than that of sirloin.

I know above comes with a jaded point of view given where I am from. I know alot of food is not quite like NY. But at the prices they charge, they are comparable to some places in the US and I will hold my expectation to that level.

Go here if you are kinda getting tired of Tica. Its an ok alternative. I just think the value is not quite there for the prices they charge.

Visited July 2014