“Awesome experience!”

$31.00*
and up
Wildlife Rescue Center Tour in Costa Rica
More attraction details
Owner description: Previous Reservation is required. Proyecto Asis is a Wildlife Shelter and Environmental Education Center located very close to La Fortuna. Wild animals which have been found wounded, forsaken or are rescued from the black market by the local forest rangers are brought here. Those that cannot be released are used within our educational programs. In order to finance our shelter, we offer daily tours and volunteer activities. Schedules: Monday to Saturday at 8:30 am or at 1:00 pm. Sundays Closed. Easy access facilities and trails for all ages.
Philadelphia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Awesome experience!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We went for the volunteering tour, which was so much fun. The first 2 hrs is a tour and description of all their animals, and you get to pet some of the monkeys. After the tour there is a coffee/lemonade/fruit break, and then you cut up some fruit and vegetables for the animals. The best part was feeding the animals. You couldn't go into the monkey pen, but you could still place the food into the outstretched hand of the monkeys through their enclosures. To feed the parrots you got a handful of fruit and seeds in their enclosure and let them fly to you and eat from your hands! It was so much fun, even if their claws left little scrapes on your hands/arms. Would definitely recommend to all!

Visited August 2014
asisproject, Front Office Manager at Proyecto Asis, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Hola TravelinGrasshoppers,

Thanks for sharing your experience and let everyone else know about this great opportunity. We are so glad to read about it. We also thank you for your contribution that helps us to continue on this mission.

• Hebrew first
Paoli, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Thought it would be more rewarding”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Definitely good what this place is doing for animals, but we wanted to volunteer on our trip. This was more like a petting zoo.

Good information...neat thing to have done...but if you're looking for a service/volunteer activity, look elsewhere.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Courtney M
Hi Courtney,

Proyecto Asis thanks you for your visit and contribution for this cause and mission of preserving wildlife. We have different programs that would imply a lot more of help in many other different tasks. What you did here was really important, even though you migh have expected something else. Your contribution to the rescue center was not only during the time you were here but longer since it will help us continue on this.

Thanks a lot and remember we have other different programs for volunteering much more.

Berlin, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

My family had a wonderful time at Proyecto Asis. Our guide was interesting, funny, passionate about animal rescue, and knowledgeable. We got lost on the way there and were late but they were kind and understanding and instantly relieved our stress. We did the volunteer portion where we prepared the food and fed the animals. Both the tour and volunteer portion were wonderful. My five year old daughter especially loved feeding the animals. Everyone from age five to sixty eight in my family had a great experience.

Visited August 2014
Hi Caro 2829,

We want to thank you for attending our tour that helps us to continue on this important mission. We are pleased that you enjoyed the time spent here. I am glad everyone, no matter the age, ejoyed the activity.

Oak Grove, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience!”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We paid extra for the volunteer part and it was well worth it. My son said it was his favorite thing in Costa Rica. I guess he likes 5 parrots sitting on his arms, head and shoulders eating his hair, ears and food that he had cradled between his arms.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Sue R
asisproject, Front Office Manager at Proyecto Asis, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Hola Sue R,

We appreciate your willingness to meet at Proyecto Asis. Your visit contributed immensely to the rescue center. We are so glad to read about your experience and the fact that it was your kid's favorite experience.

Warm regards,

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Highlight of our week”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We visited halfway through our trip last September after staying three nights in La Fortuna and on our way to the Nicoya Peninsula. I had read all of the glowing reviews and am a huge animal lover, so I was pretty much set to dive right in. My fiance, however, was not so keen on "working while on vacation" and up to the moment we parked our car at the location he was pouting. I only mention this because within 5 minutes of meeting our guide, talking about the place, and seeing our first animal did he change into a kid in a candy shop. We LOVED our time here and the tour guide was so informative, patient, funny, and took 100s of pictures for us while we fed the animals. My fiance ended up loving the experience (judging by the ridiculously large goofy grins in all of our pictures) and I got to get my nature/animal fix as well.

The whole tour is great as it allows you to learn about native animals and plants, as well as a little more information about animal trafficking. To this day I can't go into a Petsmart and see the birds without feeling bad. Holding the baby monkeys was probably the coolest thing that will happen to me for a long, long time and I will never forget being in the cage while they climbed all over me for food. In the end, my fiance was the one who was being more active, taking the fruit to the monkeys I couldn't (they like to pull on long hair, who knew?!), and he was in a fantastic mood the rest of the day. He even ended up buying a shirt, some jars, of jelly, and donating $200 before we left. I think any place that can take my pouting teenager-esque fiance and turn him into an excited, googly-eyed donor is worth visiting a hundred times over!

Seriously, if you're in the area, do yourself a favor and visit. Listen to the guide and learn about the animals and their plights. Enjoy the heck out of being that close and personal with animals you've only seen in movies or at zoos. Then really, truly, consider donating or buying something to keep such a wonderful and impactful facility running.

Visited September 2013
6 Thank Karen R
Hola Karen R,

Thanks a lot for sharing this beautiful experience you both had. We are ecstatic to read and share this with our staff. We thank you both for the help with the animals and hope to meet again for any of our different programs.

Best regards,