“Great experience!”

$31.00*
and up
Wildlife Rescue Center Tour in Costa Rica
More attraction details
Owner description: Previous Reservation is required. Proyecto Asis is a Wildlife Shelter and Environmental Education Center located very close to La Fortuna. Wild animals which have been found wounded, forsaken or are rescued from the black market by the local forest rangers are brought here. Those that cannot be released are used within our educational programs. In order to finance our shelter, we offer daily tours and volunteer activities. Schedules: Monday to Saturday at 8:30 am or at 1:00 pm. Sundays Closed. Easy access facilities and trails for all ages.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful experience when we visited this facility. Our guide, Carlos, was very knowledgeable. He took time to explain so many things about the animals, how they came to be there, and their habits. We were able to hold and feed them. I can't believe I held a boa constrictor! I would definitely recommend a visit to Proyecto Asis.

asisproject, Front Office Manager at Proyecto Asis, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Hi skacian,

Thank you for coming and supporting the project, and of course, thank you for sharing your experience and these great pictures. We really liked them.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

As always, it depends what you are looking for, how high your expectations are and what your individual experience is on the day. For me this trip is very worthwhile and an excellent accompaniment to seeing the animals from a distance in the wild. I learnt some interesting facts and got to feed and respectfully interact with the animals currently housed there. The highlight for me was being in the cage with the curious baby capuchins. If you go expecting Disney you'll be disappointed. This is a functional sanctuary to which you can contribute $47 to have contact with these creatures for half a day. I thought it was well worth it.

Hola Hayles13,
Thank you for sharing your point of view and experience as well. I could not agree more. As you say, this is a great opportunity to know animals from a distance in the wild and even have the chance to interact with them, pet them and take photographs. The fact that you know you are helping those animals is also rewarding. We really thank you for sharing your review for all.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had high expectations for this attraction because it was rated Number One. So high, in fact, that we took a one hour ride on an un air conditioned public bus to get there. All together there were about a dozen types of animals. The highlight of the trip was being able to hold a baby white faced monkey. Taking our time, the tour lasted maybe 90 minutes and this cost $27 each. It did go for a good cause. I definitely don 't consider this a must see, but rather an also see if you have the time and only if you rented a car. If you want to "volunteer", it costs "only " $47 for the privilege !

3  Thank Golgina
asisproject, Front Office Manager at Proyecto Asis, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Hi Golgina,

This is a ‘project’ and it’s growing every day in one way or another. We think what makes this project so good is not based on a specific number of species but the fact that through this you learn a good number of new things and raise awareness of Costa Rican animals’ situation and even worldwide, of course through a fun activity and with the opportunity of petting some of the animals and even feeding them.

This is a shelter and we are glad to take good care of all the animals and allow people to learn to protect them and respect them, etc. This is our goal. We are so glad to have been able to release some of them fully recovered, and to keep receiving others to provide them with what they need.

We appreciate everyone’s opinions. As I have written before, it’s a matter of viewpoint and this is yours, a review we appreciate very much as well.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is an OK side trip which is fairly far from La Fortuna. I understand that it is an animal rehab facility and a very worthy cause. I am all for that as I am a die hard animal lover, but #1 attraction, I don't think so. There were some monkeys that were very friendly and let you hold their hand, parrots, Macaws, a snake that I held, a few rodents, large and small, and a toucan. The cages were nice and the place was clean. The guide did the very best he could to draw it out and make it interesting by showing us the flora of the area and having everyone eat a termite. It was OK, but nothing spectacular. I can appreciate what they do and am more then happy to give the $27 fee as a donation as it is a very worthy cause, but there are SOOO many other spectacular things to do in this region, I find it hard to believe that this is the best. Sorry, just being honest.

4  Thank allpartoftheadventur

Hi allpartoftheadventur,

We are thrilled to know how you love animals and the fact that you understand we are a non-profit organization, supported mostly by visitors. As you know, people share their opinion about their experience, and this is the background of the website. You know we all like different things and might expect different things sometimes.

We appreciate everyone’s opinions and of course yours as well. Thank you for your sharing your experience. This is what TripAdvisor is all about.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Carlos was awesome!! It was great to actually learn so much about the animals and how they take care of them to prepare them to be released back into the forest. We booked the tour with the volunteer activity and had the opportunity to feed and hold some of the animals. Carlos was engaging and fun and very knowledgeable. It is obvious thy are very passionate about their mission.

Hola Shannon,
All the staff loves animals and that’s why we try to keep learning about the wildlife. Thank you for sharing your experience and for your very important support.