“Great Alternative Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

$54.00*
and up
Volunteer Program and Tour at Wildlife Rescue Center in Costa Rica
More attraction details
Owner description: Previous Reservation is required. Proyecto Asis is a Wildlife Shelter and Environmental Education Center located very close to La Fortuna. Wild animals which have been found wounded, forsaken or are rescued from the black market by the local forest rangers are brought here. Those that cannot be released are used within our educational programs. In order to finance our shelter, we offer daily tours and volunteer activities. Schedules: Monday to Saturday at 8:30 am or at 1:00 pm. Sundays Closed. Easy access facilities and trails for all ages.
boise, idaho
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Alternative Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

I am the owner/operator of a private language company and one of the highlights of my job is to travel with a group of students, whether with adults and/or families. I just came back from our second trip with a group to Proyecto Asis. We stayed with host families, volunteered in the mornings at Proyecto Asis and also at a local orphanage, and had fun in the afternoons (white water rafting, hike to volcano, zip line, tamale making class, artesian craft class, overnight trip to BEN) all of which was organized by Proyecto Asis. We just had to pay one price and from the time we arrived to San Jose to the moment we boarded our planes to return home, Proyecto Asis took care of every detail, including transportation and meals. I HIGHLY recommend them for group and family travel. Not only will you feel good about helping the animals and the small communities in San Carlos, you get to know the culture of Costa Rica like you never would otherwise.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank lovypaz

• Hebrew first
Tyler , TX
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Highlight of our Costa Rica Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

This was part of a multi-day trip to Costa Rica with Desafio Adventure Company.
We opted for the "volunteer" route at the facility. So we hiked for about an hour and a half with our guide Jason who showed us poison frogs, and toured us around the facility to see all the animals and tell us all their stories.He was incredibly knowledgeable. Then we stopped had a snack and we "volunteered". I felt bad because our volunteer work was feeding the animals which was way more fun that what I had envisioned we would be doing. Our girls ages 7/10 loved it. We then a little dirty work by cleaning out a few cages. So we did get our hands dirty and help out but not any real work. The facility does have several volunteers that were helping clear trails and make toys for the animals. There is also a group that has an immersion Spanish course tied into their volunteer work. it is a really wonderful place and they seem to be doing a great deal of good for the animals of CR.

We got to see/touch and sometimes hold several animals we had only seen n books/tv. Sloth, Capuchin monkeys, spider monkeys, owl, poison frog and many more.

If you are near the area it is worth a few hours of your time. it was a great trip.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank ThomasShawn
New York City, New York
“Best interaction with Costa Rican animals up close and safe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

Proyecto Asis is a place where animals are rescued and nurtured so that they can be healthy. My friend and I wanted to help out and do some volunteer work for them, but we only had time to help feed them and play with them. When we were there, we learned about the different species that were there and how they were found and brought there to heal and improve. Eventually, some will be taken back to the wild while others will stay there and live out their lives there. The founder and the employees there were very friendly and answered all of our questions. My friend and I have gone on various tours and spotted many of these animals from afar in the rain forest. We never thought we would see some of them so close and that we could actually touch them. Here, we were given that opportunity. This is a very good organization and we wanted to do so much more for them. If you are ever in Costa Rica, please do visit this place. It is definitely worth it.

Visited April 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“One of the Best Experiences in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

I had read about Projecto Asis while planning my trip to Costa Rica but knew it was 30 minutes outside La Fortuna and as I wasn't renting a car knew it would be difficult to reach. That is until I was looking on the Desafio site and saw they offered a tour there starting at 8am. I signed up for myself and 5 year old nephew. I learned more about wildlife in 2 hours at Projecto Asis than the rest of the 2 weeks in Costa Rica. We loved touching and feeding the animals. Miguel was our tour guide and he was great....... and spoke English well. The one disappointment was not getting to clean out parrot cages etc which I'd read about but I had a canyoneering trip planned with Desafio at 1pm. For some reason we rushed back cutting short our time at Projecto Asis. I sat twiddling my thumbs for one hour in the Desafio office when I could have spent that time at Projecto.

Visited March 2011
3 Thank winsomelosesum
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“An incredible experience for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

I brought my 2 children, ages 6 and 8, as well as a family friend to Proyecto ASIS for a week of spanish immersion as well as volunteering at the facility. The spanish classes were excellent. My children were fascinated by the classroom that is essentially in the middle of a jungle. The host family was wonderful and very accommodating and provided us with wonderful meals. The highlight of the stay was working with the animals and Mr. Teniente who is the caregiver at the facility. The man is absolutely incredible with the animals and his love for them so evident. ASIS cares for animals that were either abandoned or orphaned and at the time of our stay there were capuchin and spider monkeys, peccary, a kinkajou, sloths (a mother who had lost one arm due to an electrical wire injury and her baby), parrots, an owl, a coati and 2 abandoned puppies to name a few. We helped Teniente with feeding of the animals and the cleaning of the cages. During the short week that we were there, Teniente showed my children a level of caring towards other things that I doubt I will experience again. He taught my children how to bottle feed a baby squirrel that was brought in during our stay. He would often hug the animals as though they were his own children. Alvaro, the director of ASIS, is working diligently to try to teach others in his community as well as school children about conservation and wildlife. I hope that ASIS thrives as there are very few alternatives for many of the animals there. I am also happy that my children were able to work with such a wonderful human being as Teniente. I hope that they carry the experience and his respect for all living things with them in the future.

Visited March 2011