“Fresh ingredients”

Cuisines: Latin, Central American, Costa Rican, Spanish, South American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
“Fresh ingredients”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We came here twice during our stay in Arenal. It's located nearby the Christian supermarket. When we went, they didn't serve beer so we went to the supermarket to grab a couple of imperial.

The female chef is always there. She handles the kitchen and grill on her own. Quite impressive.

We ordered the jalapeño steak, ceviche, Tostones with guacamole, Casado with fish and all of them had great flavor and tasted fresh. They have this smokey tasting BBQ sauce that is to die for. So good. We should have asked to bring home a bottle.

The menu is in Spanish and English which was helpful because the servers barely spoke English. They also have pictures which helped us decide.

Price is fair relative to other options in the area. I think because they didn't serve alcohol, they are losing some customers. So make sure to stop by the supermarket beforehand and you'll be all set.

Koloa, Hawaii
“Good local food”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Ate here a few times. Had the local dish, chicken with rice and beans and plantain. Delicious, reasonable food.

• Visited March 2014
Middle England
“recommended by a local.”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

taken here by a local as 'hotel'restaurant was closed (due to swarm of bee).Very pleasantly surprised. Empty when we arrived but soon filled up. Fish excellent as was wood smoked steak with local sides.No wine, but local beer a good alternative.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank MiddleEnglandCharlie
Heredia, Costa Rica
“Burger OK, bad tourist treatment”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This place was just up from my hotel in La Fortuna. I gave it a try for dinner one night and came away very unhappy.

First, the burger was OK, not great, but OK. The problem was that the menu only had a plate with both burger and fries. I did not want fries and asked if they served just a plain burger. I was explicitly assured they did. This is common in Costa Rica. I was served and ate my burger. When I went to pay, I was told they only served the plate with fries and was charged for both. I commonly get just a burger in Costa Rica (asking first) and they charge a little less for no fries. This was a shell game.

I find it objectionable if they do this to tourists. As a Spanish-speaking resident of the country, I find it outrageous. OK, it's a tourist town and I'm sure many get taken advantage of. That doesn't make it right. I will not return to La Típica.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Quincho Q
New York City, New York
“Nice Spot”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Really convenient spot between La Fortuna and Arenal Volcano with good food and reasonable prices! Ate there a few times. It may get a little busy at times and don't expect the waiter to take your order right away, but he is nice and helpful.

• Visited January 2014