“If you want authentic, local food at a great price, stop here.”
Review of Soda la tipica

Soda la tipica
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Reviewed February 15, 2012

When I first got to Costa Rica, I went to a fancy restaurant that was full of fellow tourists. Nice ambiance, nice music... terrible food and expensive. After that, I started listening to my girlfriend, who has traveled the world on a dime, and we began to eat where locals eat. We ran across this very modest place on the side of the road while walking from our hotel into town and it was some of the better meals I had on our trip. Very inexpensive and good sized portions. Both of our dishes were delicious.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

The Arenal area tends to be extremely pricey so if you are a budget traveler, finding places like this are a must. The location was easy to get to, the service was fast and the food was delicious and filling. The menu was simple and traditional. Don't expect any frills but I thought it was great!

Reviewed January 19, 2012

A decent family style restaurant with low prices. I had grilled sea bass one evening that was very good, and came with the usual rice, beans, and salad. Cost was about $6 for the entire meal, and a chilean sauv blanc for about $4 a glass. Also had a huge cheeseburger with fries there a couple of days later for $4.

Clean, slightly slow service, tasty well-seasoned food.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

Ate lunch here and had a typical costa rican meal. It was very good, included grilled chicken, rice, beans, tortilla, cabbage salad and plantains. Huge meal for only about $6!

Reviewed January 13, 2012

Food was average. TV was on during entire meal on a soap opera station or something while the radio was also playing. Did not make for a very peaceful and enjoyable meal time.