“Local Spot”

Soda La Hormiga
Cuisines: Costa Rican, Fast Food
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The most popular Soda in La Fortuna de San Carlos, our delicious Gallo Pinto will provide you energy to start your day, plus a good cup of coffee. Also our wide variety of Casados will be the perfect complement to go back to work or continue your adventure, also we have more optionslike: tacos, sausage, beef, chicken, fish and cheese GALLOS, besides hamburgers and sandwiches. Natural drinks are available, coffee, milk shakes, tea and hot chocolate.; located in downtown La Fortuna where you can find many different tourist attractions and the main one that raises at 1648 meters, the Arenal Volcano. We have the best combination in our dishes: Flavor and Price, we are proud to be rated as the best Soda in La Fortuna. Our menu have a great variety of options where typical food is our best option; we invite you to come and enjoy our service in order to confirm why we are the best Soda in town.
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Stop here to eat like a local. Basic local fare in the middle of town. We were the only gringos there.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

I have ate here many time in years and it is good for typical foods but I sometimes like different foods I realy like barbque and they dont have that here

Reviewed October 23, 2011

Wow. The casadas we had were excellent, as were the blackberry ("moro") bebidas naturales. Bebidas naturales are kind of like smoothies and are very popular in Costa Rica-- I'd recommend trying one (especially a passionfruit, "maracuya"!). We ate and tipped for about 5000 colones, approximately $10. The staff only speaks Spanish and prefers the formal "usted" address, as do most Ticos. If you're polite and appropriately formal, they'll treat you exceptionally well!

Reviewed October 21, 2011

What tasty fun. I was at many sodas over the 10 days of our trip, and this one stands out as one of the top two (the other in Quepos). The food was fresh and really tasty. My wife's pork chop cassado, which is a traditional meal with rice, beans, plantains, picadillo, and salad, was excellent and fresh from the kitchen (just behind the counter). My chicken cassado was great as well. They both came with a new twist for us but traditional for Ticos: pasta with a thick sauce and carrot chunks. They unilingual staff commuicated warmth and pleasure that we were there. All for $8 including 2 drinks! Gotta try it!

Reviewed February 26, 2010

I have eaten at all the sodas in La fortuna, and La Hormiga has the best fare.
They are inexpensive and friendly, and the proportions are generous.
I dine at La Hormiga at least four times a week.
It's like eating at grandma's house.