“Rite in town”
Review of Gringo Pete's Too

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Gringo Pete's Too
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This is a great hostel. There were four of us and we got a private room. There is a nice living area, easy to meet fellow travelers. This is a good no frills choice in the middle of town. We met a lot of people in this hostel and ended up traveling with them down to dominical.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at Gringo Pete's Too which is pretty close to the bus stop, had nice enough rooms (the price turned out to be unbeatable during our 5 weeks' stay - 14 Dollars for 2 with private bathroom, including sheets and towels) and a lovely terrace on the first floor. Juan Carlos, who runs Gringo Pete's Too, is somehow connected to a travel agency. Prices for all our tours were really good, and he also finds excellent guides for you. He has valuable information on most anything you can do in the La Fortuna area (hiking, canopy, day-trips, travel info...) and his tips turned out to be excellent advice. He is a real nice guy and we truly enjoyed our stay there. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Inga N
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This place was ok but fondest in my memory is Pete a lovely guy, the hostel is ok it has a huge kitchen area,upstairs lounge, wifi and ensuite bathrooms to the dorms.

i had a restful time here and think its a good base if you dont mind basic, i think as a base to do daily trps it can serve you well.

its located in the centre of town and close to all things in town

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Buses, Bars, Shops and a beautiful church are in walking distance. The staff speak English and are friendly. Booking trips from here may save you money. The beds are always clean, BEWARE! If you leave anything lyeing around it wont be there when you get back.
I stayed in a 3 bunkbed dorm with bathroom for about 6 dollars. I had lots of fun here, made friends with an aussi which lead to traveling to Nicaragua togeather.
Have fun. PURA VIDA!

Room Tip: Upstair has a sofa and hamock room. Excellent for sitting with a beer chating to your new friends...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Just to be clear, there are two hotels owned by ¨Gringo Pete.¨ We stayed in the first one where Pete himself lives, and I would not reccomend it to anyone. The place is clean and the rooms are adequate, although small. But the owner is completely impossible to deal with. There are signs posted all around the hostel treating guests as if they are children. For example, ¨unwashed dishes will be removed from the kitchen for 1 week¨ Also, the doors are locked promptly at 10:00 everyday and the first night we stayed there, I witnessed the owner lock a woman outside while she was smoking and then refuse to let her back in when she knocked on the door. On the second night the owner yelled and threatened to call the police on other guests as well as keep their deposit money. It is cheap to stay here, but unless you can get a room in the second hostel I would suggest to sleep in the park outside.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RTW_Drifter
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I checked into Gringo Pete's after learning the hostel I wanted was booked except their much more expensive private rooms. Gringo Pete's doesn't offer much, but it provides all the essentials. The front gate is always locked and requires a key to enter/exit. Each room is locked as well, and the final measure of security are the lockers provided in each of the dorm rooms. My very large bag barely fit, but it fit! I borrowed a padlock from the front desk for no additional deposit.

$6 a night gets you a bed and a pillow. It didn't get me a top sheet, and it didn't get me a real mattress, just a foam padding over the frame's wood slats. No towel, but one thing I didn't expect: HOT WATER. I was kinda hoping for a cold shower after a long day in the 90-degree heat, so I was somewhat disappointed when the water came out in a warm rush, but hot water is usually a good thing.

I didn't experience any difficulties with the staff. In fact, when I asked the day prior to checkout if I should settle up then because I was leaving very early, I was told not to worry, to just ring the bell, and someone would assist me at 5:30am. I was also able to exchange some colones for dollars, as I was heading to Nicaragua, and the banks were already closed when I thought to make the exchange.

Like most hostels in La Fortuna, Gringo Pete's also offers tours. I was made aware of this, but there was no sales pressure.

One thing I'd have liked: a fan. I don't know about the other rooms, but the dorm I stayed in didn't have a single fan. But what do you expect for $6?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 24, 2012

his was the worst hostel, I have ever slept in. this was such a rip off.
I have made a mistake, I thought check out time is at 11, and not at 10...what should not be a big problem. the whole hostel was nearly empty. But here they would rather yelled and mistreated people. Because of 6 dollars.... the guy sad to me....well this is the true life. That is a good start in the morning...... After travelling for 6 years in total and 8 monhts in south and central America, meeting all this amazing people all around the world, it is like a punch in your face waking up and realizing there are still too many horrible people on this planet....
i don't think they understood what is Backpacking and tourism.
This backpackers should be better a hotel, where they deal with people who have a lot of money .... money money money ..
the day before in town they tried to sell me trips for 100 dollar, the National park for 50 dollars entry......what was all a lie.
My expierienc about La Fortuna, over priced, peopel are very rude, guys are very harassment....just very bad.
i hope you guys dont have to deal with such awful people, while you on your holiday......
l