Gringo Pete's Too
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
See available hotels
San Bosco Inn(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Hotel La Fortuna(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Pura Vida Hotel & Restaurant(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
Hotel El Volcan(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Arenal Rabfer Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Cabinas Arsol(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Monte Real(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Hotel Arenal Montechiari(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Luigi's Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Regina Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
All reviewsjuan carlosdouble room with private bathla fortunacosta ricaswimming holestayed nightsvolcano arenallaundry servicedormtoursriverwaterfallhikebirdsclouds
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Gringo Pete´s is a nice place in a quiet part near downtown La Fortuna. The stairways and the placing of the rooms made it feel a bit like Pipi Longstockings Place, which I like a lot. Marta gave a quick tour and in the kitchen and the terrace I felt right at home. The rooms are small, but clean. Prices have doubles since the Lonely Planet 2010 edition, or those were the dorm-prices. Nevertheless the 12 dollars for a room was fair: most places in Costa Rica are noisier.

Pete is a great guy. He makes jokes all the time and his loud laughter made me think of Santa Claus. He gave some honest advise on what there was to see. Ad they got some good discounts on trips and fares...So if you are looking for a budget place to stay, I can defnitely recommend this one!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is a review for “Gringo Pete’s TWO”.
There must have been changes made in Gringo Pete’s because I couldn’t find majority of the negative reviews posted on this site. The staff must have changed.
The location of the hostel is OK. It is just of the main drag, next to a small river and close to a fully stocked market, restaurants, and two blocks from the bus station. However, it is also located on a road that can get a bit busy in the morning. So the rooms immediately facing this road can get a bit noisy in the mornings. The rooms in the back are fine.
The hostel itself offers an excellent value for the dollar. It has all the facilities of a good hostel. Most rooms have private bathroom. Only a couple of the cheaper single rooms have shared bathroom (with hot water – depending on how much water you turn on…the least water the warmer it is). Free coffee and a strong Wi-Fi are available all day. My room and all common areas were always clean and cleaned daily. Each room has a fan.
Staff was one of the best I have encountered during my travels in Latin America. Most spoke at least some English. Especially the manager/tour guide in charge was exceptional. He is not only an excellent host but also a very good tour guide and will answer any of your questions about Volcan Arenal Park and Costa Rica. I can certainly recommend them for tours as well. They have very competitive prices and knowledgeable and bilingual guides.
I was not thrilled with the mattresses and pillow, but for this price it was still acceptable.
For Costa Rica, in its category (Hostel) and for this price Gringo Pete’s is easy 5/5, even with the hard mattresses.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back, away from the street. are more quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank povetron
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I am surprised so many people are so-so on this place. I loved my stay here. I wish there were more places like this throughout Costa Rica.

The proprietor/manager was an extremely nice, congenial guy who gave me good recommendations and didn't care when I and the other ex-pats partied somewhat loudly until midnight. My solo room was very Spartan - a clean but rigid bed, a working fan, a clean room, shared (clean) bathroom/shower with warm-ish water, free WiFi that actually worked, free coffee, all for $7/night!

I was travelling solo, and this was the type of place that is best for solo travelers. There were probably 3-5 Americans, 4-8 Europeans, all between 25 and 35. We were all strangers but managed to come together to party.

Also this place is super close to the embarkation point for all of the tours, etc., and a block away from an amazing Tico soda called "La Casa de Hormiga."

I travel a lot... if you like no-frills travel with the basic amenities (WiFi, not freezing water, clean rooms) for super budget prices, this is the archetypal place.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I have to agree with a number of the poorer reviews that have been left by fellow travellers. Gringo Pete and his staff are a rude, antagonistic group of folk. I stayed here for one night, and although I left an hour before checkout time, I was told off for making myself comfortable in the garden for an hour after breakfast rather than leaving the premisis immediately after I'd finished eating. It seems as though Pete enjoys the conflicts that come with owning a hostel. If you can afford it, pay the extra couple of dollars to stay somewhere else within this fantastic town.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AndrooMarr
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Spent 2 nights at Gringo Pete's and thought it was the best value accommodation we used whilst in Costa Rica - US$5 a night for a private room.

Very sociable place to stay; with a kitchen, lounge and garden used by all - enjoyable evening spent drinking coconut rum and playing poker with other travellers! Good location in the centre of town, and got some good recommendations for tours up Arenal etc.

The only downside is that there is a 10pm curfew and this is rigidly enforced. Pete came out twice and told us to "keep it down or go to bed" - felt this was slightly unfair as all of us were in the room together! He wasn't particularly polite about it either, and I felt a little courtesy could have gone a long way.

However, I would still recommend this place as a good value for money and well worth staying in.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple