New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Rancho Cerro Azul

Hotel Rancho Cerro Azul
“Excellent service---beautiful location!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

This place was everything we read it was in previous reviews. Alvaro and his wife were super friendly and helpful and the breakfast was delicious (we had Typical style both mornings). Our cabin was great. It was clean, spacious, cozy, and I lived the special touches of local flowers here and there. Towels could have been thicker but for $50+ a night I made due. We geocached and had a great walk to the waterfall. The area is absolutely beautiful. We had a car so we were able to drive into town very easily for dinner. We went rappelling with Pure Trek---can't say enough great things about them too. Also hiked in the National Rainforest Park. That was an incredible experience. The only negative was the first night we flew in. We drove what should have been 2-3 hrs to find the hotel and it was a nightmare---not due to poor road conditions---due to complete lack if road signage. My husband works in the oil fields in rural NM & TX and is used to driving like that & we STILL had problems finding this hotel. No one knew where it was!!! We stopped to ask many people. I speak Spanish fluently. Finally some police knew and pointed us in the right direction. There is no signage for it at all like there is for some of the larger hotels. We arrived close to 3 am. Alvaro had gone to bed so we had to sleep in our rental car. It was awful. We got no refund for that night's stay and we're glad it was only a loss of $50 ish. We would have rated it 5 stars were it not for it's total lack of signage.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ann E

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Finnish first
Riverside, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I can see now why these cabins get such wonderful reviews, yet I have to add my own. The value is outstanding. For the price, location and amenities it was a perfect stay for our first trip to La Fortuna. We had a family of 5 in a cabin for 3 nights and were comfortable - two in each bed and they gave us a mattress on the floor for another child. My kids loved the river. We had a car so drove to the waterfall and then hiked down in - one of the highlights of our trip. From this area we also drove to the Volcano area, and the hosts helped us book the Safari raft trip - perfect for young kids.

I would recommend this spot to anyone - we may have been the only one who used it but also loved having a/c in the room.

Room Tip: All of the cabins are very equal, lined up in a row. Any one is great!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Allison_Yr
Alvaro A, Propietario at Hotel Rancho Cerro Azul, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for your time and also for share your opinion about your stay, we are glad because you and your family had a nice stay with us, is good to know children and adults can enjoy our place.
Thank you for choosing us as one of your destination in Costa Rica, we are looking forward to welcoming you and your family again.
Overland Park, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My family of 4 stayed here in July and were impressed by the outstanding hospitality of the owner, Alvarro, and his wonderful family. Our room was clean and very comfortable, with a charming little deck overlooking a pasture (and their two pretty horses) in the back of the hotel. We were greeted by a flock of toucans perching in the trees, and a visit by an adorable agouti eating the delicious-smelling guava fruit by our cabin. The hotel is conveniently located on the edge of the town of La Fortuna. The cabins are situated near a quiet road, with nice landscaping around the property. The accommodations are simple, but very comfortable. This was one of the best values of our trip. We so enjoyed getting to know our hosts, warm people who really care about their guests' comfort and enjoyment. We hope to visit again someday!

You can take a short walk from the cabins to a river that runs behind the pasture. Keep your eyes open for red dart frogs in the woods. We enjoyed a very satisfying breakfast each morning (a small extra charge) of fresh fruit, good coffee, eggs, pinto gallo, and toast. Titiana was so gracious and helpful in giving us directions and calling to reserve tours for us. (The Rainforest Chocolate Tour just up the road was so interesting, interactive, and included tastings-yum!).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for your review , we are glad to know how you and your family enjoyed the property and all the fauna, thank you for your good comments about our family, all our guest are the main razon to be here. Please, return soon.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I absolutely loved this place. The owners were so friendly and always went out of their way to make our stay special. The cabins themselves are beautiful and very spacious, with both front and back porches. The back porch has a hammock and looks out to a very beautiful area where you can see horses, and even walk down through the forest to a nice stream. It is about a 30-40 minute walk from the town center, which we did a couple times but we eventually decided to just take taxis. It's only about $3 each way, and the owners are more than happy to call them to come get you. Once you are in town, the taxis to get back are easy to find and usually gather around the church in the town center. There is also a beautiful view of the volcano from the hotel, which we were lucky enough to see both days as it was hardly ever overcast. You can also walk up to the La Fortuna Waterfall although it is about a hour hike. There is also a chocolate tour 5 mins up the road that was really awesome. Overall for the price I really can't say enough about how much we loved this place. My favorite part though had to be the breakfast, which was served across the street each morning. Don't miss out on that!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for share your experience based on your recent stay in La Fortuna in our hotel, we are glad to hear the wonderfull opinions from our guest.
Thank you very much, we look forward to welcoming soon.
Florence
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had some trouble with fly date and companion so
I have to rebook and leave one room and we arrive at midnight but Tatiana was very comprehensive and she didn't charge us (she would able to rent the room in few hours). Wood cabinas are very clean, simple but you find everything you need. great porch with wonderful view on a small garden. good breakfast. if you don't have a car is far from downtown but any adventure company pick up you in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, NY USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I did an embarrassing amount of research for places to stay in Costa Rica. My husband and I were so lucky that Cerro Azul had space for us, because it was a WONDERFUL place to stay. Such an excellent deal for a great location, beautiful property, lovely hosts, and delicious breakfasts. We interacted mostly with Alvero and his daughter, Tatiana, throughout our 3 night stay. Tatiana's English is excellent, and she helped us plan activities and made reservations for us. Their family is so kind, warm, and friendly. The location is a very short drive to the main town and the Rio Fortuna waterfall. We were there in July 2013 and there were some short periods of rain, but they never affected our activities.

We were in Cabin 3 - the room was large, clean, and comfortable (the shower was huge!). We really appreciated the air conditioner and wifi. I am a mosquito magnet, so I was a little nervous about spending two weeks in Costa Rica. There were definitely a lot of mosquitoes in the area and on the property, but I just made sure to wear a lot of DEET bug spray from morning until bedtime. It's inevitable that you'll find mosquitoes in your room, no matter where you stay or how much you pay. We stayed in two luxury resorts later during our trip, and both had mosquitoes in our room. I did notice a large gap in the door to the back porch of our cabin, so I stuffed it with towels and tissues on our first night. I mentioned it to Alvero during breakfast, and when we returned that afternoon, he had the gaps boarded up. I was grateful that he acknowledged the issue and fixed it immediately and effectively. The breakfast is absolutely the best. We had the typical Costa Rican breakfast at six different locations on our trip, and our favorite gallo pinto was at Cerro Azul. I also loved seeing the horses wandering around the property.

I can't say enough how much we adored Alvero and Tatiana. They are SO NICE, considerate, accommodating, and hardworking. When our transportation didn't arrive as scheduled, Alvero took notice from his house and immediately called them. When I came back from a mountain biking excursion with bandages on my knee and arm, Tatiana came to ask if I was ok, and said she was worried. (I'm just a klutz on a bike). We loved staying at Hotel Cerro Azul - it's so much better than the large hotels/resorts because we received more attention and warmth. When we stayed at the larger hotels, there were times we felt stranded and disconnected from the country and culture. We highly recommend spending your time at Arenal with Cerro Azul!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of june. I had read the reviews and this place lives up to them. The owners are wonderful, nice, honest people. The location was great. I still crave their breakfast. It was amazing and for $6 a person you can not beat it. The rooms were simple but very clean. They have a/c with was great. The wifi there was the best i had in all the places we went in costa rica. Super fast and always connected. Which made contacting home very easy. I enjoyed sitting on the back porch watching the horses everyday. Simply relaxing. And for $55 a night this place is a steal. 5 stars all around! Thank you so much for inviting us into your home! I hope the puppys that i enjoyed playing with are still doing good!! You guys were the best!!!!!!!! The Yaldas

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple