“Quiet, pretty and amazing”

La Terraza Guest House B&B
Ranked #2 of 9 Grecia B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Quiet, pretty and amazing”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I had corresponded with the owner, Jeanetta Owens on the net so I had an inkling of her wit and charm before I arrived. Her Inn is spotless. The guestroom I stayed in was well appointed; with 2 rocking chairs on a small balcony overlooking the jungle hillside that abuts the back of her property. Her property is lovely and groomed with many flowering plants and trees - and a small bright yellow footbridge that crosses a rushing mountain stream. Breakfast served on the porch by an attentive Christina was fresh fruit, toast and jam, good CR coffee or a full eggs and whatever else you might want breakfast. I was traveling alone and Jeanetta and I held a discourse each morning about the days travel plans. I wish I could have stayed a month or two. I'll be back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ron e
applehead, Owner at La Terraza Guest House B&B, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Thanks so much for taking time to share with others your experience here with us at La Terraza Guest House. We appreciate your review, it was a pleasure to serve you. Please come back to visit us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Pontiac, Illinois
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Even though we stayed at La Terraza for only one night, the lovely owner, Jeanetta, made us immediately feel like we were family. She was always available to answer any questions and give us information on the area. Her staff, Christina and Carlos, were always friendly and smiling. The accomodations and grounds are really beautiful. Loved being able to sleep with the patio doors open listening to the rushing river in the back yard! The breakfast was wonderful, Christina was willing to fix whatever we wanted! We left wishing we could have stayed for more than one night. We will definately stay at La Terraza next time we are in the Grecia area, and look forward to visiting with our friend Jeanetta!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott and Chris E
applehead, Owner at La Terraza Guest House B&B, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Thanks so much for your review, we enjoyed your brief visit but you did promise us that when you return to Costa Rica you will stop by here first. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we are so happy you enjoyed our services.
North Carolina
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Experiencing La Terraza B&B was even better the second time around! The owner, Jeanetta Owens, was as warm and welcoming as I remembered and, as always, served as my authority on all things Costa Rican, especially real estate. During my stay, Carlos served as my driver and guide for a weekend side trip to several beaches and proved why he's the best at what he does. He knows the roads - no small feat in Costa Rica! - and all the best out-of-the-way eateries for enjoying local delicacies. Speaking of delicacies, La Terraza’s cook, Cristina, served me the best tamale I ever ate! Her scratch-made breakfasts every morning on the relaxing terrace overlooking the lush grounds of La Terraza, made every day of my visit extra special. Can't wait for visit #3!

Room Tip: La Terraza's website features copious photos of the B&B so you can tailor your room choice t...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank NorthCarolinaDiva
applehead, Owner at La Terraza Guest House B&B, responded to this review, February 12, 2012
When you first talked to me about your mission and reason for returning to Costa Rica to improve on your Spanish, I was a little apprehnsive. Not because you were not a nice person but because not everyone can adapt to the culture here in Costa Rica. Most of us don't understand what it means by third world.

Thee was something about you that made me know if I would match you up with a very special Costa Rican family to live with them for a month, you would make it and you did. In fact a strong friendship developed. It is people like you who have made being a B&B owner something very special . Thanks for your patronage and we sure hope to see you again and again.
London
Reviewed January 4, 2012

The great reviews are deserved. Jeanetta seemed to have thought of everything: massive and tasty welcome meal, varied breakfasts, pool table, jacuzzi overlooking the garden (unavailable when we were there because it was being refitted), four fluffy towels, hair styling set, TV, rocking chairs on the balcony, strong wifi, nice shower, proper toilet roll (a rarity in Costa Rica) and a driver who'll take you anywhere for the same price as a taxi. Homely would be the best word to describe the rooms. Ours overlooked the gardens which had fruit trees - you can pick your own oranges - and a river. Jeanetta also sat with us to chat at breakfast - she was a real treat. It's a little way to town (bus or taxi needed) but there isn't a lot there anyway. I guess people stay here as a base for day trips (zoo, Poas, airport etc). We paid $95 for our room which we thought was just about right - but unbeknown to us, the quote we got over the phone did not include tax so we ended up paying $15 more per night. That would be our only criticism after a really happy stay. Can't imagine you'd find anything nearly as good in the area.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JimR1980
What a compliment, thanks so very much we appreciate your comments. We will make sure to indicate to our guest that there is a 13% tourism tax. Sometimes we assume that our guest have read our rate information and they know about the tax requirement. Thanks so much for letting us know that making sure people know there is a tourism tax is very important.

Our returning customers have a lot of sepcial benefits so please come back to visit us.
Matthews, North Carolina
Reviewed December 12, 2011

When I started looking at accommodations in Grecia, La Terraza sounded delightful and it was, from the beginning to the end of our week-long trip. We were first "wowed" by the rushing of the river and the palm trees outlined by moonlight when Carlos drove up from the airport, and continued to feel relaxed in the natural setting day and night. Our deck overlooked a lovely and well-tended tropical garden. We felt well taken care of by Jeanetta, Christina and Carlos. It was wonderful having them "show us the ropes" and we always felt safe and well taken care of - like visiting a friend or relative. Jeanetta is really fun and interesting to talk to. I was very grateful to Carlos for driving us around on the bumpy roads in the crazy traffic, I'm not sure I could have handled that, especially on our first visit. I really think I can easily say that it was the best B&B we have ever stayed in. Our 25th anniversary arrived this year, and we decided some time ago to celebrate by going to Costa Rica. When Jeanetta heard that, she said she was going to have a party for us! And she did - she invited some Americans who had moved to Costa Rica and we really enjoyed talking to them about their expat experiences. The food at that lunch, and at breakfast every day, was fantastic - made with care by Christina. I can't promise you that you will have a party at La Terraza, but I can promise that you will enjoy your stay and you will want to return as soon as possible. Pura vida!

Room Tip: We loved the apartment, didn't see any of the other rooms but I'm sure they are nice as wel...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alden C
Thanks for the opportunity to serve you. I'm a romantic by nature, after many years of a wonderful marriage, it is hard for me to pass up the opportunity to celebrate with others their very special day. Keep loving each other and come back to see us again.
Grecia Costa Rica
Reviewed December 8, 2011

This is an email I sent to Jeanetta this morning and thought I would share it.
Good Morning Jeanetta,
What a simply marvelous time we had yesterday. A BIG thank you is definitely in order and hats off to you and your wonderful staff. Although we dont normally eat big meals I certainly had more than my full yesterday of your delicious lunch! Could you possibly let me have the recipe for the fish soup - I just simply must have it or Lance will be visiting you every time he hears you are making it. We thought the guests were such a vibrant crowd and everyone talked for the whole time we were there. It's very refreshing to speak with different people about different matters and not the same old "humdrum". As you so aptly put it everyone there just loves Costa Rica. You have certainly been a catalyst in forming many friendships over the years and we know that you were the major instrument for Lance and I making wonderful friends here. Thank you.
Warmest hugs and we must see you again very soon.
Colleen and Lance Wingfield

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Reviews148
Etiwanda California
Reviewed November 19, 2011

My husband and I just returned from costa rica. We spent the front and back end of our vacation at La terraza. Like always the service and accomadations were wonderful. Jeanetta the owner is a wealth of knowledge about costa rica. Her hospitality is second to none. Chrstine makes the best breakfast in the country. Carlos keeps the place pristine. We have been here many times. La terraza is consistently the best bed and breakfast in the central valley

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sledger_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grecia
Xandari Resort & Spa
#3 of 9 in Grecia
Hotel Mango Valley
Hotel Mango Valley
#1 of 9 in Grecia

Been to La Terraza Guest House B&B? Share your experiences!