Hotel Mi Tierra
$67
$63
$169
Courtyard
All reviewsmy favorite thingsan joseevery morningeasy accesscentral valleypollodowntown alajuelaan early flightrobertotaxiairportpoasartworksjoconvenience
Reviewed October 15, 2013

All good, room was clean, pool was nice, bathroom was clean too. Roberto was cool and we chatted about kayaking for ages a nice guy. He helped us with finding places to eat and booked me a taxi etc.

Thanks for a nice last night in CR.

Pura vida

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I travel all over the world and use this site often, but I've never written a review. But I really had no option but to write about this place.
I booked it because it was near to the airport. Other than having paper thin walls, it's fine. But the owner, Roberto, gives the impression of being helpful and friendly but would rip you off as soon as look at you. But my advice is that if you stay here, don't do the trips.
Roberto's Poas volcano trip doesn't include a visit to the coffee plantation (it was a view of one). i had to pay more for that at the entrance, and no visit to a waterfall. So it was $50 for a $10 entrance fee to Poas, and not even guided. And another two day trip, where I'd paid to have my own room, but shared with someone else, was not a full two days. Home by 3pm and no waterfall trekk. not worth $300 or the $400 he apparently usually charges.
I've written this because it spoiled my last few days on an otherwise unforgettable trip. Go to Costa Rica, but don't stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy S
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Our room was spartan, but comfortable, especially for the price. Our host Roberto spent at least 90 minutes with us after a delicious breakfast (included) helping us get oriented to Costa Rica. This was our first trip to CR, and we needed lots of information. Roberto could not have been more gratious or helpful. He helped with car rental as he promised, and encouraged us to wait until we arrived to rent a car. I am very glad we did, rather than making arrangements long distance, then getting the car at the airport. If we had tried to find the hotel on our own having just arrived in CR after dark I seriously doubt we would have succeeded! In CR you don't simply plug in an address in the GPS and take off! Places there do NOT have street numbers or addresses as we know them, so programming a specific address is impossible! I know that is foreign to Americans, but it is true. So we flew in and took a taxi from the airport to the Mi Tierra for $6 US. Thanks again to Roberto, Christian, and Carlos for great service on both ends of our vacation to the Chachagua rain forest.

Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Bill M
Reviewed August 23, 2013

very nice and cozy place with very nice and helpful staff. The boss is an excellent kayak instructor. They offer training in their pool in the garden. Breakfast is good and I had as much coffee as I wanted

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tobias D
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Mi Tierra after arriving on an evening flight into San Jose. It is a 5 minute cab ride from the airport and provides a simple, clean and safe place to rest your travel weary head, and at a price that still leaves money in the budget for sightseeing. We booked it just for the overnight, but if I were to come again I would likely stay a couple days and take advantage of the tours they offer to the volcanos and rafting. I was very pleased with the service - both by email when booking the room and during our stay. Breakfast was great- delicious and filling and served on a lovely outdoor terrace by the pool. This isn't a fancy hotel. It's a place for people looking for very basic, comfortable lodging at a reasonable price and with a friendly atmosphere. Other guests included young European backpackers, a Tico family and another couple- and it was a good fit for all.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room in the back if possible. The street noise woke me up several times during the night, but all in all, it was still a great deal even so.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple