“We loved it and we'll be back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Mi Tierra

Hotel Mi Tierra
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Seattle, Washington
“We loved it and we'll be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

I have stayed here several times and Roberto is great. It is different than most Americans are used to but if you are staying awhile he will give you the best thing to do on the day you are there. The way I have stayed the last few times is a few days when you land and a few days before you take off. If you don't have anything planned just stay a week or two and he will give you a great schedule based on what you are interested in.

Room Tip: The weather and amount of people interested in doing things is a big factor with regards to the expe...
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank timetravel6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

I had stayed here once prior and had forgotten, I try to always stay at a reasonably priced place with a pool and unfortunately this might be the only one in Alajuela. We were put in a very small dank room no bathroom for 35 dollars, we saw another room which I assumed was 40 and was told it was 45 which that price is never mentioned on their website, was told that it was the last room of it's kind and might be needed for a family, of course no one cam and I believe they had us their already so why accomodate us.... I was told on the first night they did not have change for an american 50, and the next day when I tried to pay they said the same, when I told her I could not change it anywhere because I had lost my passport was given major attitude.....I felt like screaming you don't have 15 bucks,.,,,,c'mon......They have a new baby and a dog and as cute as it is...I don't want to spend my vacation listening to the wails of a baby as I lie by the pool... I was only there 1 day to enjoy the pool and they knew that but did not care that they had taken over the whole pool area and had workers there painting and it was horrible......sorry will never return to this hotel and won't recommend to anyone...... The hotel is not that it's THE ATTITUDE that is the worst,,,,,,,

Room Tip: Puntarenas room is nice at 45 dollars not worth it
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank tiffanytiffany

Travelers are raving about these Alajuela hotels

Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

The hotel is near from the airport and located in Alajuela center. It's calm (during the night you might ear cats fights... but that's quite normal if you travel in costa rica), well decorated with paints of the owner, very clean. It's a friendly place, the staff is pretty nice!! (although it's helpful to speak spanish for the breakfast... by the way the breakfast is delicious and the service is fast). You can use the kitchen so that's cool if you wan't to travel cheap!!

Rooms are little but perfect for transition from the airport!! You won't find cheaper for this near to everything!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

Paying with credit card? "Not possible". Free airport shuttle (as promised on the business card)? "Not available". Two beers please? "We do not sell beer"...

The room did not make me very enthusiastic either: the sheets of the bed did not look extremely clean, the bathroom was so-so and the noise of the traffic was pretty loud.

But... for a traveler who needs a bed for only a few hours, awaiting his or her early flight from San José, it is a not too bad pick (I payed 47 dollars). Bring your ear plugs!

If one goes right after leaving the hotel, takes the first right and then the first left, on your left hand there 'll appear (after 50 yards) a really nice bar. Opposite to that, there is an ATM.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Mi Tierra for our first night in Costa Rica as we arrived late and needed somewhere to crash near the airport. We had opted for a private room with shared bathroom.
The room was very small, with a double bed, twin bunkbed and wardrobe cramped into a small space. There was not much room for our suitcases and no space to walk around the room. We did not have AC in our room and instead had a room fan which was noisy but necessary as it was so hot! The room was not in great condition but was clean.
The shared bathroom was outside which was a bit freaky but it was clean.
It was fine for a one night stay to be close to the airport, however I wouldn't have wanted to stay for any longer. I'd note that Hotel Mi Tierra is like a hostel not a hotel.
They pay for your taxi from the airport, so keep your receipt from the taxi driver and they will take this off your room bill.
The breakfast was nice and included in the room price. We had typical breakfast with coffee and fruit and ate in the outside dining area.
Staff were helpful and the girl at reception helped us to organise car hire for our trip the next morning. Details of this are on their website so you can check it out beforehand.
Hotel Mi Tierra is no frills basic hostel but is fine for a night stop over after/before a flight.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Tampa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

This is my fourth time to stay here and finally I have had enough. Roberto is a reasonable manager but his wife, Ivanna is very moody and not helpful. Upon arrival one person fell on the horrible connecting stairs...off to the right and broke his wrist, ruining his entire trip. I could not find ice, and grabbed some frozen meat to put on his wrist. Ivanna yelled at me and grabbed it out of my hands. I fell on the wet steps on my last visit to Costa Rica and bruised my leg. Second, they did not honor our room request. We had seven people and were forced to take additional rooms. an expense that we did not want. Early one morning we left to go rafting and someone asked for a banana, stating "we will not be here for breakfast"...Ivanna reluctantly gave him the banana. One of our group did not have his receipt for the taxi and they refused to refund him the money. Finally, Ivanna said we were rude Americans and difficult clients. Moving across the street to cleaner and nicer acomodations.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank lisasafari
Portland, Or
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Mi Tierra for one night. They had a pool (although it was too rainy to want to swim), hot water, internet and free breakfast. The staff was friendly, but after traveling around for a while we realized that it was far too expensive. The breakfast was good and they have a nice open-air dining room. It is just a couple of blocks away from the main attractions of the city (which can be seen in about 2 hours time, including the free museum.) For the price we should have at least had a private bathroom, but it was clean and they payed for our taxi ride from the airport. Awesome paintings.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple