“great host, great food, close to the airport”
Review of Hotel Casa Antigua

Hotel Casa Antigua
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Houston, Texas
“great host, great food, close to the airport”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The host/owner was very accommodating. He got us a room very quickly. We had everything we needed right when we asked for it. The courtyard area is beautiful! We were the only guests at the hotel that night as it was 2 days before Easter. We ate a lovely and delicious dinner at the hotel and had a wonderful long conversation with the owner. We had to be at the airport at 4:40am We we woke up the next morning the staff had coffee and breakfast for us ready to eat very quickly, and they had a cab waiting for us. The rooms are small and cozy and it can be noisy at night being so close to the airport, but I would definitely stay here again if we go back to Costa Rica.

Room Tip: excellent service close to the airport
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MegA107

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed February 25, 2014

It was the character in the picture that caught my eye, as well as the reasonable rates. After three nights of staying here, I can easily recommend this place as a landing or departing spot for those travelling to Costa Rica.

Henry is among the best hosts and gave me a very warm welcome. As a hotelier of my own small lodge, I appreciated his warmth, his helpfulness, and watched his style as he made his guests feel at home. The rooms are elegantly decorated and reasonably priced. The outdoor area in the 110 yr old home's back yard is a restaurant / garden with a sweet little pool and lots of places to lounge.

Need to work on WiFi? It's the fastest I've experienced in Costa Rica, and has plenty of places to work with beautiful driftwood tables and large day beds with Persian carpets.

If you are lucky enough to be here while Henry is in town, he cooks incredible food. He offered me and my friend customised dishes, and was happy to fix us an afternoon snack when we were hungry. Good coffee and cakes are available as well as fresh fruit throughout the day (even though officially only for breakfast, you can ask anytime).

The whole place is a piece of art - a testimony to the style that Henry has as a fashion designer for many years. It's rustic and beautiful, adorned with natural wood and tasteful art, and blends in well with the old world feeling of the home.

Don't hesitate to park here for as long as you need to - it's a home away from home, and a great starting or concluding point to your Costa Rican adventure.

Room Tip: Room number 8 is beautiful and was my favourite
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank evo_rod
Hawaii
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The atmosphere and setting of this hotel is truly remarkable. The property is very conveniently located near the airport, the rooms are exceptionally clean and uniquely designed in a very special way.

The proprietor of the property, Henry, is genuinely kind and customer service oriented and treats every guest like family.

The hotel has an adjacent restaurant with an elegant garden setting and the most delicious food in all of Costa Rica!

Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Vladimir K
Key Largo, Fl
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Amazing food, amazing atmosphere. We were staying at a hotel across the street and thought this place looked interesting. We walked over, and what a great find! Excellent personalized service, interesting artwork and woodwork. Persian theme was quite intriguing. So different and unique.
Don't miss this. We'll be back for sure!

Room Tip: We didn't stay at the hotel, but the restaurant was so worth it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, ON
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I arrived at San Jose airport late in the evening after missing a connecting flight due to weather. The tourist booth directed us to Casa Antigua who had only one room left. We really did feel like we got the proverbial 'last room in the Inn'.

We are not seasoned travelers and were feeling weary and a little overwhelmed at being stranded in a large city with our trip plans altered as a result of flight delays. Enter owner and consummate host, 'Henry' who welcomed us warmly late at night.
He showed us to our room which was simply furnished, but clean with an ensuite bathroom. We laughed at its close proximity to the road, and the open window in the room facing out onto the hallway. People would see us while we were sleeping!! We thought if we pulled the curtains the air circulation would be cut ... there is no air conditioning. In fact, the room with curtains pulled was nice and cool. Surprisingly enough, as other contributors have noted ... despite the excessive traffic noise (I felt I was sleeping in the middle of a highway!) ... I slept like a baby! There is an outstanding patio garden with a persian/costa rican theme surrounding a pool where I was told dinner was served nightly. I was disappointed that we arrived to late to participate ... especially now that I've read the glowing reviews from previous contributors.

Decor is created from the heart by Henry from wood and glass. Henry will tell you that he created his hotel from simple wood that most Costa Rican's use to smoke/cook their meat. The stained glass doors of red and yellow represent Henry's Zoroastrainism love of the Sun.

This hotel has truly been created with love by the owner Henry, and it is his caring and generous spirit extended to the weary traveler that motivated me to write this review. Henry is a different sort of host - refreshingly transparent and openly discussing his beliefs and philosophies, while at the same time advising you on best places to visit and booking a car for you. He was warm and generous host to two travelers in need. Thank you Henry.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BonesToronto
El Paso Texas
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Last night in CR, waiting for the next day to turn in car and go to the airport. Original room was not available so selected a room near the road...big mistake! no AC so windows had to be open to get air, Calle segundo Rio is 15 feet away. Noisy!!! but we were so tired could not move... so we grinned and bore it I sat by the pool, very nice and the breakfast is cereal, fruit and coffee.

Staff was perfunctuary and pleasant enough, helpful, yes and it is quirky and inviting....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SpearsTx
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have stayed in the hotel for a night on several occasions with different people from different parts of the world and thanks to Henry and Debbie as hosts and owners has been a great experience , not to mention Pishou , the persian cat and Gorkie , the Huskie dog as companions, the talking parrots in the garden and the soulful persian food cooked by Henry himself as he takes pride in everything he does for his guests, so yes....great experience for me and my daughter from BC, my parents from BG and always for me a pleasure to visit from the coast , love it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family