“Couldn't find a better San Jose-area hotel!”
Review of Hotel Robledal

Hotel Robledal
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Alajuela
Cody, Wyoming
“Couldn't find a better San Jose-area hotel!”
Reviewed November 29, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Robledal on our first and last nights in Costa Rica, and our time there made a perfect start and finish to a wonderful trip. The family who own Hotel Robledal provided nothing but exceptaional service at every turn - we truly couldn't imagine friendlier, warmer interactions with our hosts. The airport pick-ups and drop-offs were efficient and we even had a breakfast prepared for us for our early departure the morning we left. Both evenings we stayed at Hotel Robledal we had dinner there - it was well priced and absolutely delicious, there's no reason to go anywhere else! And the grounds of the hotel are beautiful - an oasis that we truly enjoyed. We will definitely be return customers!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
Big Bear Lake
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights, our 2and trip. The service and helpfulness is incredible. This wonderful family pays attention to your every need. They helped us plan our perfect vacation. They provide accomodations, transportation, reservations, wonderful meals in theit restaurant and help with whatever you might encounter.Please check it out!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Batavia, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We found your hotel to be a safe, clean and comfortable place to stay while in San Jose. The family that owns and runs the hotel is so accommodating and welcoming. We were traveling with our 5 year old so the pool and wi-fi were a nice bonus. Thank you for your hospitality

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Madison
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Robledal on the day we arrived in Costa Rica. Honestly not the best first impression was made when we arrived and there was no one there to pick us up as we had set up. Thing is there are so many rides and drivers there that it took awhile for us to realize that we had no ride. So finally after 30 min of sitting out front a nice genleman called the hotel and set up a cab ride for us. When we arrived at the hotel, which was only a ten minute drive, we got out of cab to get payment for ride. The hotel than said that we hadnt arranged any paid transport. I showed them the email that said otherwise. There was an apology, they took care of the cab, and all was fine.
The hotel is a beautiful with nice gardens and a wonderful relaxation pool. They have a nice restaurant area outside and a lounge area. Beers and drinks were cheap. The room was very nice and it was a relaxing sleep. When we first arrived they ordered us a great local pizza with coconut in it......it was so good. We spent the whole first afternoon at the pool having drinks and taking photos. We met ALOT of other travellers some starting their trips and others ending. Lots of swapped information and advice. Great time.
The dinner was very good but not alot of variety. To be honest it was the second most expensive dinner we had the entire trip. The breakfast was a very big table with cereal, fruit, cheeses, juices, and water. They also made eggs and bacon to order.
The best part by far though about Hotel Robledal was the service. Joshua and his brothers were great. Joshua and I were talking and I told him I was a big bird enthusiast to which he too said he was. He showed me photos and his list for the property. He also came and found us when there were birds he sighted on the property. They gave us alot of local info and were always there to asist.
Amenities: Great rooms, Free WiFi, Shuttle, Big Breakfast, and a pool you could sit in all day.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, ON
Reviewed February 22, 2010

The employees were very friendly and went out of their way to make sure our visit was a good one. They picked us up at the airport and dropped us of for our departing flight. When our tv wasn't working, the receptionist called us a cab and PAID FOR OUR CAB in to town so we could go see a movie. Pretty nice.

The rooms were clean but pretty simple. The matresses were pretty firm. The hotel is very secure and is in a gated property. It's great for an airport stopover.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
vancouver bc
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I didn't have a good experience right from the start. It took 45 minutes from the time I made the call until the hotel van picked me up. i almost gave up and took a taxi. The hotel was less than 10 minutes away. The room was spacious and clean but there were a number of problems. First. the door did not have a proper deadbolt and the flimsy door lock could be opened easy from the outside by any amateur.I have been to Costa Rica before and theft is epidemic here. I placed a chair against the door as aditional security. Their was no security guard patroling. I could see daylight betwen the door jam and the wall. The mattress was slightly less firm than a wooden plank. I didn't sleep well. The hotel is also on the airport flight path and jets are lading every 20 minutes. Quite noisy.
When I went down for dinner and sat at a table in the restaurant the staff ignored me. They were glued to the TV watching the election returns. I had to get up and ask for service. The hotel appeared quite empty.
I told the staff I needed a shuttle to the airport at 5 am and they told me they would wrap my breakfast to take with me. At 5.05 there was no sign of my driver so I had a worker doing laundry pound on the owners door and eventually a sleepy guy appeared and drove me to the airport. I didn't get my breakfast.
The price was $85 including the shuttle and I think it's excessive for what I received. There was no free internet unless you had your own laptop.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Robledal_Manager, Owner at Hotel Robledal, responded to this review, February 13, 2010
Dear Mr. Buddhaboy,

We are very sorry that your experience in our hotel was not confortable and what you expected.

It is true that the shuttle service took some time to pick you up. As you mentioned, it was an election day and that caused a lot of traffic when we went to pick you up, this is not the ussual case.

Our room doors works perfectly and they bring sufficient safety to our guests, the door frame is a security frame, meaning that is impossible to reach the lock from outside but even with the door open, you will not have to worry... our property offers plenty of security, surrounded fence and our gate is close during night time, we have never experience a guest who has been stolen inside the hotel in 9 years.

Our mattresses are semi-orthopedic and it is why they are slighly hard, they bring excellent support.

Planes are arriving often during night time and they stop at 11:00 p.m. with Mexicana flight

When you came to our restaurant we prepared a table for you, prepared you dinner and ask if everything was OK? it took us no more than 5 minutes to attend you. The people who was watching TV were some owner visitors, not related to the hotel staff.. and yes, they were watching the elections results..

I apologize that the shuttle service was late in morning, and because of that you had not time to grab our breakfast to go..

We will take actions in order to provide a better service with future guests.

Josue Guzman
Public Relations Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed here on our first and last nights of our Costa Rica vacation due to the close proximity to the airport ~10minutes (as a result of this you could hear some planes, but this was minimal). The staff were very friendly and helpful they picked us up from the airport and hire car location and returned us to the airport for our early flight back to reality. While staying at the Hotel Robledal we ate breakfast one morning and an evening dinner the final night of our trip. The breakfast food was simple but very nice we ate saussage, beans and fruit. We were amazed with the taste of our evening meals (chicken and beef) both meals had a salad and bread entree followed by the main course. The steak was genuinely one of the best we have ever eaten! We opted for desert as well.
The room we stayed in was very simple, TV and a hard matress. It was equiped with a small, simple bathroom - the hot was was a little temperamental.
A family owned hotel, they genuinely care about the service they offer. While by no means a five star hotel, the service can'be faulted and the location was convenient for the airport.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple