“not to my liking”
Review of Hotel Robledal

Hotel Robledal
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I didn't have a good experience right from the start. It took 45 minutes from the time I made the call until the hotel van picked me up. i almost gave up and took a taxi. The hotel was less than 10 minutes away. The room was spacious and clean but there were a number of problems. First. the door did not have a proper deadbolt and the flimsy door lock could be opened easy from the outside by any amateur.I have been to Costa Rica before and theft is epidemic here. I placed a chair against the door as aditional security. Their was no security guard patroling. I could see daylight betwen the door jam and the wall. The mattress was slightly less firm than a wooden plank. I didn't sleep well. The hotel is also on the airport flight path and jets are lading every 20 minutes. Quite noisy.
When I went down for dinner and sat at a table in the restaurant the staff ignored me. They were glued to the TV watching the election returns. I had to get up and ask for service. The hotel appeared quite empty.
I told the staff I needed a shuttle to the airport at 5 am and they told me they would wrap my breakfast to take with me. At 5.05 there was no sign of my driver so I had a worker doing laundry pound on the owners door and eventually a sleepy guy appeared and drove me to the airport. I didn't get my breakfast.
The price was $85 including the shuttle and I think it's excessive for what I received. There was no free internet unless you had your own laptop.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Robledal_Manager, Owner at Hotel Robledal, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2010

Dear Mr. Buddhaboy,

We are very sorry that your experience in our hotel was not confortable and what you expected.

It is true that the shuttle service took some time to pick you up. As you mentioned, it was an election day and that caused a lot of traffic when we went to pick you up, this is not the ussual case.

Our room doors works perfectly and they bring sufficient safety to our guests, the door frame is a security frame, meaning that is impossible to reach the lock from outside but even with the door open, you will not have to worry... our property offers plenty of security, surrounded fence and our gate is close during night time, we have never experience a guest who has been stolen inside the hotel in 9 years.

Our mattresses are semi-orthopedic and it is why they are slighly hard, they bring excellent support.

Planes are arriving often during night time and they stop at 11:00 p.m. with Mexicana flight

When you came to our restaurant we prepared a table for you, prepared you dinner and ask if everything was OK? it took us no more than 5 minutes to attend you. The people who was watching TV were some owner visitors, not related to the hotel staff.. and yes, they were watching the elections results..

I apologize that the shuttle service was late in morning, and because of that you had not time to grab our breakfast to go..

We will take actions in order to provide a better service with future guests.

Josue Guzman
Public Relations Manager

There are newer reviews for Hotel Robledal

Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed here on our first and last nights of our Costa Rica vacation due to the close proximity to the airport ~10minutes (as a result of this you could hear some planes, but this was minimal). The staff were very friendly and helpful they picked us up from the airport and hire car location and returned us to the airport for our early flight back to reality. While staying at the Hotel Robledal we ate breakfast one morning and an evening dinner the final night of our trip. The breakfast food was simple but very nice we ate saussage, beans and fruit. We were amazed with the taste of our evening meals (chicken and beef) both meals had a salad and bread entree followed by the main course. The steak was genuinely one of the best we have ever eaten! We opted for desert as well.
The room we stayed in was very simple, TV and a hard matress. It was equiped with a small, simple bathroom - the hot was was a little temperamental.
A family owned hotel, they genuinely care about the service they offer. While by no means a five star hotel, the service can'be faulted and the location was convenient for the airport.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I stayed in this cute hotel upon arriving in Costa Rica. I traveled with my son who remained in Costa Rica for a semester abroad studies. We stayed two nights. The rooms were comfortable, the grounds were beautifully kept, and the food was delicious. Breakfast was included in the price; dinner was available for purchase. The whole family works in the business. They provide a very cozy and comfortable atmosphere. It's a great place to stay when arriving to Costa Rica and when leaving; I stayed again in September the night before my departure. Because of its central location, I would also consider it a good place from which to make day trips. I highly recommend staying in Hotel Robledal.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed September 29, 2009

We always stay at the hotel Robledal when we go to our farm in the Southern Zone of Costa Rica. We stop at the Robledal when we arrive and stay one night, it is minutes from the airport and we are always so refreshed and relaxed for the next day. We do the same on our return. We stay the night before we leave for the airport very early in the morning. The family are fantastic hosts and we love the cooking! The rooms are spacious, clean and very nice. The new additions of the pool and the gardens surrounding the property are fantastic. We always feel right at home with the family and we appreciate their kindness and wonderful service! The price is fantastic! Great connection for the internet with wifi! We will ALWAYS use the Robledal as our stop over to and from Costa Rica! Felicidades a la familia de hotel Robledal for a job very well done! See you in February 2010! Saludos! Jennifer & Bruce

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2009

This a hidden pearl close to the airport. We stayed at Robledal three nights in total, two nights when we arrived and one before we returned. Since this was our first trip to CR, we needed one day to get organized.. The staff were extremely nice and relaxed people. They picked us up at the airport and offered transportation into town as well. The breakfast is served outdoor on a teracce, and tasted so yummy; fruit and coffee and very good traditional rice and beans. The swimming pool was a great feature in the heat. The rooms are spacious and have air condition. It's very clean everywhere. The service is in general excellent. They drove us to the airport even if we had to leave 5.30 in the morning. And they posted all my postcard which I hadn't managed to get stamps. There is not much to do in the surrounding areas, but there are tours and day-trips possibilities. 10 minutes walking lead to local restaurants. We visited the city of Alajuela, which was easy to reach with the local bus. After staying at Robledal we used Interbus to get to Monteverde. Interbus picked us up close to the hotel, and the staff of course drove us to the bus stop. On the return we arrived with the local bus from Sàmara which had a stop at the airport.

We'll stay at Hotel Robledal again, when or if we return to Costa Rica : )

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2009

The service we received at the family run, Hotel Robledal, was fantastic ! The family was the best, the room was the cleanest, the food was great, the grounds were absolutely awesome and the price very reasonable. A great place to stay if your flying in or out of the San Jose airport, only minutes away. Shuttle service is provided free of charge as well as a full breakfast. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Robledal on the last day of a 7 day vacation. We chose it because of access to the airport and reviews on trip advisor. It was great. This is a family owned place ,they take pride in their business and it was very much like staying with friends. The breakfast in the morning was served hot and was very good. A good selection of fruits, breads, eggs, cereal etc.
A good taste of local Costa Rica. We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple