I stopped there as i wanted to say good bye to a friend who was leaving the next morning.
First i arrived and the receptionist told me the price for the nigth in colones with a rate of 560 colones for a dollar. I told him that the rate was wrong and i showed him the rate of the bank that day which was 540 collones for a dollar. He rectified and gave me the righ rate. But if they take 20colones per every dollars they receive that is quite dishonest.
Second: i arrived there at 9pm and the kitchen was closed as cooking time is only until 8.30pm.
Third: My friend and i were discussing in the commun area have a discussion at very low voice level. We went outside for a smoke at 11pm and for that i had to wake up the security guard (in which hostel/hotel in the world the nigth guar is sleeping???!!!!). There for as he was probably a bit upset by that as i walking back in he told me that me and my friend had to go yo our dorm rooms and that we couldnt talk anymore. I explained him that it was our last nigth of conversation and that we were very quite he got uptset said that a lot of negative things and aggrzssively. When 15 minutes later we went for an other smoke the guy also told us that it was the last one and after that we had to go to bed. I tried calming him down and saying that i didnt wanr to bother him. I gave him my hand to shake as a peace sign he refused to take it and became mute.
I have been 6 times to costa rica and over all i spent in total 18 months here. It is the first time i have felt so uncomfortable and unwanted in a hostel.
I have been traveling for the past 10 years on and off and this is probably one of my top 3 worse hostel i have been.
Avoid it avoid it avoid it
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maleku Hostel is run by a Costa Rican Family. It is located really close to the International Airport Juan Santamaria, San Jose. that actually is in Alajuela Town. Our location is really convenient for all those traveler arriving or Departing Costa Rica. 3-5 minutes Taxi ride from the airport SJO.Next to big Super Market with ATM, walk distance to restaurants, stores, movies & public transportation.Our Facilities:•Free shuttle to the airport (from Hostel TO Airport, starting 5am to 5pm)•Free internet &WiFi•Breakfast 7am to 10am (coffee, tea or orange juice, Cookies and fruit)•Lockers•Towels•Full Kitchen•Hot Shower in Sharing Bathroom, all rooms in our hostel have share bathroom.• Great location •Free travel information •Public transportation and cabs a cross the street•Parking: On the street(Please Note we don't offer Airport pick up)We have:1 Dorm Rooms with 6 beds, 4 Private rooms available All with Share Bath. We offer the best recommendations in Local transportation, tours, rentals, other great hostel around Costa Rica and more.We are open 24 hrs. But our Information staff usually is available to help you with questions from 8am to 8pm. Hope to see you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Maleku Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maleku Hotel Alajuela
- Maleku Hostel Alajuela
- Maleku Hostel Hotel Alajuela
- Maleku Hostel Costa Rica/Alajuela