“Adequate”
Review of Maleku Hostel

Maleku Hostel
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hostel was clean and Pamela, at the front desk was nice and very helpful. All the amenities you really need are there: fridge, dishes, simple breakfast, computer for internet, a fan in the room. We chose the private room and had a lot of room. The location isn't the greatest in terms of finding things to do - but about 5 minutes away from the airport! And they also offer a free shuttle to the airport (especially when you have a 5am flight when you need to make a special request for a cab).

Room Tip: Private and shared rooms are both available (3 ppl can sleep in a private)
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Upon arrival to Maleku my friend and I had just encountered the taxi ride from hell, so we were very thankful to be welcomed by the owner of the hostel with a warm smile. The hostel was very safe feeling, extremely clean (which I gratefully appreciated after spending the last 21 days in Costa Rica in and out of dozens of different hostels), bedrooms were very spacious and well equipped, and the bathrooms were very clean. The only down fall was the loud traffic from the road but when you were as tired as we were, it didn't really matter. Coffee was kindly ready at 4 AM when we were up and getting ready for our flight the following morning and the very convenient airport shuttle was SO nice. We will definitely be staying here again when we come back to Costa Rica; perfect hostel for either the first or last night of your stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Danielle H
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have been in Costa Rica for 10 years and stay here most of the time on my way to airport or coming back to Costa Rica. Only 3 minutes from the airport and they have free airport taxi. It is in Alajuela which is close to many worthwhile attractions such as volcano Poas a great day trip. The hostel is cozy, confortable and clean. Very friendly knowledgable staff, they have always helped me out with all my needs. I will stay there again and reccomend for sure. Pura vida!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

It can be difficult to find a reasonably priced hostel/hotel near the airport that is clean and offers early morning shuttles. I've stayed in 2 other other hostels in Alajuela that were both fairly disappointing. Maleku is a bit more like an inn than hostel and appears to be run by a family. When we arrived the staff member on desk was very friendly and warm, showed us around and didn't seem to mind that we showed up a bit early. I shared a private room for 2 with my sister. The room was very basic with a fan, double bed and bunk twin bed above. The bathroom was right across the hall. I saw it being cleaned 2 or 3 during my stay which was nice. We spent some time in the kitchen/common-in area. It's a bit cramped if you're planning to stay more than a night or two. I like that the hostel encourages guests to stay quiet after 11. Many people have early morning flights and the area near the airport is loud enough. I did think shutting the kitchen down for use at 9:30 was a bit early. 11 would make more sense. Our shuttle was great and super easy! I will most likely stay here the next time I fly out of Alajuela.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I highly recommend this hostel for anyone flying in/out of the international airport as it's only a $5 cab ride away (but they also offer a free shuttle to the airport). It's the cleanest hostel we stayed in while in CR for 3 weeks. There are private/dorm rooms, the prices are very reasonable, the staff is very helpful and downtown is a short walk away.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jodi B
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed here 3 times during my Costa Rica trip. I have only positive things to say about it. It feels like a home, not a hostel. It was the cleanest of the 4 places I stayed in Costa Rica. The staff are extremely helpful and nice. The kitchen is well equipped, showers are warm, and they arrange transportation to the airport. Plus, it is close to the airport, so a taxi to the hostel from the airport is only $5.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I found Maleku Hostel in my Lonely Planet book. I would recommend this Hostel to EVERYONE. I stayed her twice in 2 weeks. Once with a friend before she left for the airport and once solo. I felt very safe here. The price was totally fare and the fact that they had a free shuttle TO the airport sold me - 100%. I hope they always have that for travelers! The staff was friendly and professional. Other travelers there were totally normal and super nice. There is a grocery store just a half a block away. It's like a $4 cab ride FROM the airport (if you tell them it's by the NEW Alajuela hospital. If I ever come back to Costa Rica, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: It is on the corner of a pretty noisy road so hopefully it's cool enough that you can shut your...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo