“Exactly What I Was Looking For” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maleku Hostel

Maleku Hostel
Memphis, Tennessee
“Exactly What I Was Looking For”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

It can be difficult to find a reasonably priced hostel/hotel near the airport that is clean and offers early morning shuttles. I've stayed in 2 other other hostels in Alajuela that were both fairly disappointing. Maleku is a bit more like an inn than hostel and appears to be run by a family. When we arrived the staff member on desk was very friendly and warm, showed us around and didn't seem to mind that we showed up a bit early. I shared a private room for 2 with my sister. The room was very basic with a fan, double bed and bunk twin bed above. The bathroom was right across the hall. I saw it being cleaned 2 or 3 during my stay which was nice. We spent some time in the kitchen/common-in area. It's a bit cramped if you're planning to stay more than a night or two. I like that the hostel encourages guests to stay quiet after 11. Many people have early morning flights and the area near the airport is loud enough. I did think shutting the kitchen down for use at 9:30 was a bit early. 11 would make more sense. Our shuttle was great and super easy! I will most likely stay here the next time I fly out of Alajuela.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I highly recommend this hostel for anyone flying in/out of the international airport as it's only a $5 cab ride away (but they also offer a free shuttle to the airport). It's the cleanest hostel we stayed in while in CR for 3 weeks. There are private/dorm rooms, the prices are very reasonable, the staff is very helpful and downtown is a short walk away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jodi B
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed here 3 times during my Costa Rica trip. I have only positive things to say about it. It feels like a home, not a hostel. It was the cleanest of the 4 places I stayed in Costa Rica. The staff are extremely helpful and nice. The kitchen is well equipped, showers are warm, and they arrange transportation to the airport. Plus, it is close to the airport, so a taxi to the hostel from the airport is only $5.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I found Maleku Hostel in my Lonely Planet book. I would recommend this Hostel to EVERYONE. I stayed her twice in 2 weeks. Once with a friend before she left for the airport and once solo. I felt very safe here. The price was totally fare and the fact that they had a free shuttle TO the airport sold me - 100%. I hope they always have that for travelers! The staff was friendly and professional. Other travelers there were totally normal and super nice. There is a grocery store just a half a block away. It's like a $4 cab ride FROM the airport (if you tell them it's by the NEW Alajuela hospital. If I ever come back to Costa Rica, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: It is on the corner of a pretty noisy road so hopefully it's cool enough that you can shut your...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I would definately stay here again. Great location and friendly staff. Very clean, quiet, safe, and accommodating! Locked storage area for luggage, clean kitchen with everything you need. The first night we stayed in San Jose which I would not recommend. Alejeula is much safer!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Isidro de El General, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Reasonably good reviews led us to stay at Maleku the night we arrived in Costa Rica.

The manager on duty was courteous and informative. We felt welcome.

We found the dorm area to be quite a cramped space. At least there was a window. The stair way up to the dorm was steep and also head low head clearance.

The private rooms were also quite small.

The shared bathroom was reasonably clean and functional. Same for the kitchen.

Overall the Maleku is suitable for emergency purposes, but not really much fun otherwise.
Several repeat guests claimed to love the place, I can't really see why. We moved on and stayed a week at the next place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bordeaux
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We used MalekU twice on our trip to Costa Rica,once when we returned to the Central valley on our way up to Belize and on our way back before leaving for Tortuguero.
The hostel is situated opposite the hospital in Alajuela about a mile from the airport.The centre of Alajuela is about 25 minutes walk from the hostel and there is a supermarket just 200 yards up the road.
There is a variety of rooms from twin bedded rooms through to dorm rooms.It's comfortable and clean but basic.There is a small communal area with wifi and a couple of PCs, comfortable chairs etc. but space is limited especially when there are lots of guests.The kitchen area is well equipped but small.
A good place to overnight between trips.The staff is very friendly and very helpful ( they organized our transport to Tortuguero and at a moment's notice)There is a regular shuttle service to the airport. The only downside is the size and the fact that the hostel is right next to a very busy,noisy road.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor facing the busy road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends