Maleku Hostel
1915 Hotel(Alajuela)
Hotel Mango(Alajuela)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsprivate roomfree shuttle to the airportclose to the airportwell equipped kitchenhour receptionbed dormclean comfortable roomsjuan santamaria airportleaving costa ricaarrived latefirst night in costa ricataxiflightcrcouchlinensstopover
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I found Maleku Hostel in my Lonely Planet book. I would recommend this Hostel to EVERYONE. I stayed her twice in 2 weeks. Once with a friend before she left for the airport and once solo. I felt very safe here. The price was totally fare and the fact that they had a free shuttle TO the airport sold me - 100%. I hope they always have that for travelers! The staff was friendly and professional. Other travelers there were totally normal and super nice. There is a grocery store just a half a block away. It's like a $4 cab ride FROM the airport (if you tell them it's by the NEW Alajuela hospital. If I ever come back to Costa Rica, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: It is on the corner of a pretty noisy road so hopefully it's cool enough that you can shut your window. Bring some earplugs and you'll be just fine. Beds, pillows, sheets and towels were the best of my stay in Costa Rica during my whole trip.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I would definately stay here again. Great location and friendly staff. Very clean, quiet, safe, and accommodating! Locked storage area for luggage, clean kitchen with everything you need. The first night we stayed in San Jose which I would not recommend. Alejeula is much safer!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Reasonably good reviews led us to stay at Maleku the night we arrived in Costa Rica.

The manager on duty was courteous and informative. We felt welcome.

We found the dorm area to be quite a cramped space. At least there was a window. The stair way up to the dorm was steep and also head low head clearance.

The private rooms were also quite small.

The shared bathroom was reasonably clean and functional. Same for the kitchen.

Overall the Maleku is suitable for emergency purposes, but not really much fun otherwise.
Several repeat guests claimed to love the place, I can't really see why. We moved on and stayed a week at the next place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We used MalekU twice on our trip to Costa Rica,once when we returned to the Central valley on our way up to Belize and on our way back before leaving for Tortuguero.
The hostel is situated opposite the hospital in Alajuela about a mile from the airport.The centre of Alajuela is about 25 minutes walk from the hostel and there is a supermarket just 200 yards up the road.
There is a variety of rooms from twin bedded rooms through to dorm rooms.It's comfortable and clean but basic.There is a small communal area with wifi and a couple of PCs, comfortable chairs etc. but space is limited especially when there are lots of guests.The kitchen area is well equipped but small.
A good place to overnight between trips.The staff is very friendly and very helpful ( they organized our transport to Tortuguero and at a moment's notice)There is a regular shuttle service to the airport. The only downside is the size and the fact that the hostel is right next to a very busy,noisy road.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor facing the busy road.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Great hostel for great value and most importantly very secure place. The employees here are very friendly and helpful, the best place to spend your last day before you fly back, since it's really close to the airport and they provide a free shuttle service!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo