Maleku Hostel
$129
$84
$199
$159
Hotel La Rosa de America(Alajuela)
$67
$79
$67
Hotel Brilla Sol Airport(Alajuela)(Great Value!)
$77
$75
$77
$72
Hotwire.com
All reviewsprivate roomfree shuttle to the airportclose to the airportwell equipped kitchenhour receptionbed dormclean comfortable roomsjuan santamaria airportleaving costa ricaarrived latefirst night in costa ricataxiflightcrcouchlinensstopover
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

This was the perfect end to our trip. We didn't spend a lot if time here, but my bed was really comfy and the employees were friendly. The place was clean and secure. As advertised, they arranged a free taxi ride to the airport at 5 am. We missed the breakfast, but oh well. I would recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Nice, clean hostel that serves its purpose - getting you into or out of Costa Rica. My friend and I stayed here one night at the end of our trip. The free shuttle to the airport was nice - we definitely took advantage of that. Breakfast was pretty crappy - bananas, orange juice and crackers - but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

This is a family occupied house with rooms to let. Not a practical or functional hostel or backpackers accommodation.

While it is not the worst, or most misrepresented accommodation I have ever booked...it is not a place I would stay more than a night or recommend to other travelers.

I don't mind kids, but dirty diapers in the shared bathrooms are a bit much. Leaving the common area at 11pm so the live in relatives can go to sleep may fly in Moldova, but this is Costa Rica, the most developed country in Central America. For nearly 40 bucks, I expect more.

We stayed here for the proximity to the airport. Locked in our room at the 11pm curfew...this is the first time I wish I had a predawn flight.

Choose a different option....

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you're flying in to San Jose late this is your place. $5 will get you a taxi to the door. Early flight out? There is a free taxi to the airport.
The only reason I did not award 5 stars is because it can be cramped when it's full. On the good side, it's clean with great beds and decent sheets plus a towel. You get a small breakfast of banana, cookies, orange juice and coffee or tea. There are also private rooms.
Walking distance to restaurants and food shops plus buses to San Jose or other destinations.
The staff is usually friendly and you can watch t.v. if you like or use the one computer and surf the web.
Not a destination but a great place for your first or last night in the country.

Room Tip: try to stay away from dorms and rooms on the front street side. lot's of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Alajuela and San Jose aren't great places to stay, but for airport convenience I highly recommend this hostel. Even with dorm rooms, the place has a "B&B" feel. The front desk worker was very friendly -- very social. Ordered pizza and sat down with us and had a great conversation -- it was a very genuine experience.

Rooms and bathrooms are among the cleanest I encountered in Costa Rica, and the mattresses were definitely the most comfortable around. Taxi shuttle to airport was nice, and even though the dorm was a little expensive, it was a good experience to end my trip in CR.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo