Maleku Hostel
Hampton.com
$163
$125
Courtyard
Hotel La Rosa de America(Alajuela)
$67
$199
$159
$116
$97
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $117/night.

$79
$67
$66
$63
Hotwire.com
$84
$81
$74
All reviewsprivate roomfree shuttle to the airportclose to the airportwell equipped kitchenhour receptionbed dormclean comfortable roomsjuan santamaria airportleaving costa ricaarrived latefirst night in costa ricataxiflightcrcouchlinensstopover
Reviewed February 11, 2012

This was my first stay at a Hostel. For the cost, I don't think you could find anything better. What made me choose this Hostel was 1) the low cost, 2) proximity to the airport 3) free one way shuttle. I only needed a place to sleep for a few hours before my flights arriving and then leaving Costa Rica. I would not recommend staying here more than 1 or 2 days. The Hostel is small. I'm not sure what you would do to entertain yourself for a longer stay.

The sleeping quarters were adaquate and the linens were clean. The towels were very hard, but I think things get air dried in CR. Never saw any dryers. For health reasons I wore shower shoes. There are only 2 shared bathrooms.

Breakfast is bananas, coffee, tea, and cookies. There is a supermarket 1 block away. The airport has a nice selection of food too. A few restuarants within walking distance. I ate by myself at a place 3 blocks away, Hacienda Sierpe Bar and Grill. Decent food menu. Very cold beers and Karaoke on Sunday nights. No one really spoke English but I was able to watch an NFL play-off game (they switched one of the tvs to American football from a soccer game for me). Ask if Raphael is working. He speaks some English. Don't worry, Kentucky Fried Chicken is across the street.

Overall, I would stay at Maleku if I needed a short stay. This is not a "party hostel". Also, I paid between $4 and $7 USD for an orange cab from the airport. The $7 cab was taken at 10pm while the cheaper cab was 2pm.

Room Tip: The private room can sleep up to 3 people but the traffic noise was very loud. It is on the main floor. The shared dorm room has 3 bunk beds but you must climb steep flight of stairs to get to the room. All beds and pillows were comfy. Large fans in each room. There is a locked gate surrounding the property.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Erica-Travels
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I love Maleku for several reasons. As noted by all reviewers, its close to the airport. They have a free shuttle that brings you to the airport. The beds are new and nice. The hostel is family owned and ran - its nice to support locals in the tourism industry! The hostel is close to the bus station too. The staff are awesome and super helpful. The hostel is clean. It feels like home away from home. I travel into Costa Rica a couple of times a year and I would never consider staying anywhere except here when coming or leaving the country. It is, hands down, your best option in Alajuela.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank RominSara
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Located near the airport in an authentic Costa Rican neighborhood, Maleku offers clean accommodations, family owned thus caring staff, shuttle service to airport and breakfast included, this is a worthy stepping stone for budget travelers. Note: they have tons of hand-me-down guide books available, so perhaps making this your first stop could be very helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JJ G
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We booked the Maleku Hostel purely based on its location. We were arriving to Costa Rica in the evening (after 10pm). The hostel is only about 5-10 minute drive from the airport. It is also located around the corner from a bus stop where you can catch a bus directly to la Fortuna so there is no need to go all the way into San Jose. Bonus!
The girl who greeted us on our arrival was very nice and helpful even though i could tell we had woken her up. The "breakfast" in the morning is pretty basic (bananas, crackers, coffee etc). We had a private room that was clean, and right across the hall from one of the shared bathrooms. The bathrooms apperaed to be clean well kept.
We were in this hostel for less than 12 hours, but overall we would recommend Maleku as a perfect place to spend ylur first or last night in Costa Rica!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Great hostel with free shuttle to airport (bonus!).
Friendly front staff, great rates.
Clean and bright.
Rooms were clean and simple. Private room was great, very private and clean and roomy. Great to have a fan.
Bathrooms were clean and big and ventilated. Showers were excellent.
Only con is the hostel is located on the corner of a fairly busy street, traffic noise was quite loud at times throughout the night.
Would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Private rooms are worth the $35 paid for two guests.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends