TripAdvisor
Alajuela
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews free taxi to the airport costa rica san jose central park delicious breakfast superior room hot water solo female shared bathroom cute hotel international airport felt very safe granola rooms are small safe area great place to stay taxi fare
Selected filters
Reviewed April 10, 2019

This was our first stop on arrival at SJO and last stop before heading home. We stayed in the "Superior" room which was clean and comfortable with our own bathroom, and in a quiet and safe back hall of the hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is AMAZING and you sit in a pleasant outdoor courtyard! During our short stays, we wandered the busy city streets - very interesting to see for a short time. The price was definitely budget friendly. It was only 10 minutes from the airport and the hotel offers a complimentary taxi coupon to the airport when you leave. This hotel has a Costa Rican feel to it. It's a beautifully converted old home in the middle of the city, a lovely change from big corporate hotels. We were very pleased overall with our stay here and recommend this to any budget traveller. Our only suggestions are perhaps blackout curtains be added as we felt the room could have been darker for sleeping, and a safe in the room is an important anywhere. (There is no room safe.)

Room tip: Superior rooms are quiet and comfortable.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Volcanes2018, Owner at Hotel Los Volcanes, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2019

PURA VIDA! Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will stay longer next time and enjoy all the amazing things to do around us.

Reviewed March 31, 2019

Really enjoyed our stay at this property. Quaint building, exceptionally friendly staff, good location. Close to the airport. Many good restaurants nearby. Room was very clean. Breakfast was delicious. I would stay here again.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Volcanes2018, Owner at Hotel Los Volcanes, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2019

We are so grateful you enjoyed your stay with us. We really make an effort to make sure our guests feel welcome.

We have been doing a lot of updating and renovations. Maybe on your next stay they will be done and you can stay longer. We can help plan area tours and excursions. There is a lot to do in our little city and surrounding area.

Reviewed March 14, 2019 via mobile

Great room for an overnight stay on our last night in Costa Rica. It was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great, lots of options. I am gluten intolerant so had an omelet made and some fruit, but they also had toast, bacon, eggs, yoghurt and granola. The service was friendly too. An airport transfer was provided in the form of a taxi voucher, which was great as we could go when we were ready. There are ATM’s and restaurants within a 2 minute walk of the hotel. The nearby Tex Mex restaurant was very nice! Thanks to the staff for a pleasant stay.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Volcanes2018, Owner at Hotel Los Volcanes, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2019

Our staff is very attentive and truly desires to make our guests experience a good one.

Not only are we a great place for the first and last night... the area is wonderful to explore. Let us help plan tours an excursions of the area the next time you come to Costa Rica.

Reviewed March 13, 2019

Hotel Los Volcanes is a basic, budget-friendly hotel located conveniently in downtown Alajuela, which is a 10 minute drive from the San Jose Airport. It is a good place to stay for one night upon arriving to Costa Rica or before departing. I did a lot of research on where to stay prior to arriving in Costa Rica and this hotel was one of the most budget-friendly in the area around the San Jose Airport, however, I found it to still be on the pricier side for what you get.

I stayed at this hotel for one night after landing in San Jose late in the evening and one night prior to departing Costa Rica in February and March 2019. I stayed in a private room with shared bathroom.

The hotel is small and has 15 rooms. There was only one shared bathroom and one shower for guests. Although the hotel was quiet during both of my stays, I feel like the lack of bathrooms could be problematic if the hotel is full. I am unsure whether all of the rooms would use the shared washrooms or if any of the rooms have private washrooms. My room had two single beds, a nightstand with lamp, fan, window, mirror and bath towel. The room was clean, simple and comfortable. There was no safe or lockable space to store valuables.

The front desk staff member was friendly and helpful and called taxis for me when requested. I was pleased that the hotel covered the cost of a taxi ride to the airport. I also appreciated the hotel accommodating my late check in on my arrival to Costa Rica and early check out upon departing. The staff member provided me with a map of Alajuela and highlighted restaurants and other points of interest which was helpful.

The hotel had an outdoor courtyard at the back of the building with tables and chairs and lots of plants and trees with a fountain in the centre. It was a peaceful place to sit and relax. There was also a comfortable lounge and sitting area beside the hotel reception with couches and a small library of books to enjoy. They sold drinks and snacks here as well.

They provided a free breakfast in the mornings, however, I only had the opportunity to experience one breakfast as my flight left too early in the morning during my second stay. The breakfast that I had consisted of fresh fruit, yogurt and granola and juice. It was satisfying and tasty.

The hotel has free Wi-Fi which was fast and reliable.

The hotel was located two blocks from the central park in Alajuela and there were restaurants, banks, pharmacies and shops all within walking distance. The San Jose Airport was approximately a 10 minute drive from the hotel.

I felt safe staying at this hotel as a solo female traveler. There was a gate to enter the hotel from the street and the front door is always locked with a buzzer to press for the front desk staff to allow you to enter. I did not walk around Alajuela after dark after witnessing a physical fight between two local men a block from the hotel during the daytime (thankfully, it didn't seem too serious), which made me a little uneasy and cautious about the area. Other than that, I felt safe walking around on my own around the vicinity of the hotel and visited the park a couple of times.

Overall, I would recommend Hotel Los Volcanes as a simple and budget-friendly place to stay that is conveniently located close to the airport.

Trip type: Traveled solo

Thank you so much for writing such an informative review. We have been working hard to update and upgrade our hotel. Our prices are about 3% higher than our competitors for a similar equipped room. However, our service and ambiance is far superior. :-) We have the BEST staff that are attentive and truly care about our guests experience.

Alajuela is very safe and the safety of our guests is of great concern to us. I'm sorry you felt as if you could not go out after dark due to the altercation... It is very safe. I have been know to go out by myself as a single female. Not only do when have the gate to have to be buzzed in and a 24/7 Guest Services Staff, we have on site security at night.

I'm so glad you mentioned out WiFi. We put a lot into making it function so well.

We have four rooms that share the bathrooms all the other rooms have private baths. In our years of operation it has not been a huge problem. People seem to stagger their need of the shower well. In addition, we get into the bathroom between each guest to clean it for the next.

Not only are we great for your first and last night... there are so many things to do in our area.
We can help plan your exploration of the area on your next trip.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again on your next trip to Costa Rica.

Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

Our flight landed late at night and we cabbed it to the Hotel Los Volcanes. It’s a very good value- not fancy but comfortable, clean and convenient with a good breakfast (included). Perfect for our purpose and easy departure from the hotel to the coast for our beach vacay.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Volcanes2018, Owner at Hotel Los Volcanes, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2019

Our breakfast is wonderful. Fruit, Smoothie, and Eggs your way. We are glad you were able to enjoy.

We are excellent for your first and last night in Costa Rica like you mentioned. Also, there are so many things to do in our area. On your next vacay let us help plan some explorations of the area.