TripAdvisor
Alajuela
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews free taxi to the airport costa rica san jose central park delicious breakfast superior room hot water solo female shared bathroom cute hotel international airport felt very safe granola rooms are small safe area great place to stay taxi fare
Selected filters
Reviewed March 14, 2019 via mobile

Great room for an overnight stay on our last night in Costa Rica. It was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great, lots of options. I am gluten intolerant so had an omelet made and some fruit, but they also had toast, bacon, eggs, yoghurt and granola. The service was friendly too. An airport transfer was provided in the form of a taxi voucher, which was great as we could go when we were ready. There are ATM’s and restaurants within a 2 minute walk of the hotel. The nearby Tex Mex restaurant was very nice! Thanks to the staff for a pleasant stay.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Volcanes2018, Owner at Hotel Los Volcanes, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2019

Our staff is very attentive and truly desires to make our guests experience a good one.

Not only are we a great place for the first and last night... the area is wonderful to explore. Let us help plan tours an excursions of the area the next time you come to Costa Rica.

Reviewed March 13, 2019

Hotel Los Volcanes is a basic, budget-friendly hotel located conveniently in downtown Alajuela, which is a 10 minute drive from the San Jose Airport. It is a good place to stay for one night upon arriving to Costa Rica or before departing. I did a lot of research on where to stay prior to arriving in Costa Rica and this hotel was one of the most budget-friendly in the area around the San Jose Airport, however, I found it to still be on the pricier side for what you get.

I stayed at this hotel for one night after landing in San Jose late in the evening and one night prior to departing Costa Rica in February and March 2019. I stayed in a private room with shared bathroom.

The hotel is small and has 15 rooms. There was only one shared bathroom and one shower for guests. Although the hotel was quiet during both of my stays, I feel like the lack of bathrooms could be problematic if the hotel is full. I am unsure whether all of the rooms would use the shared washrooms or if any of the rooms have private washrooms. My room had two single beds, a nightstand with lamp, fan, window, mirror and bath towel. The room was clean, simple and comfortable. There was no safe or lockable space to store valuables.

The front desk staff member was friendly and helpful and called taxis for me when requested. I was pleased that the hotel covered the cost of a taxi ride to the airport. I also appreciated the hotel accommodating my late check in on my arrival to Costa Rica and early check out upon departing. The staff member provided me with a map of Alajuela and highlighted restaurants and other points of interest which was helpful.

The hotel had an outdoor courtyard at the back of the building with tables and chairs and lots of plants and trees with a fountain in the centre. It was a peaceful place to sit and relax. There was also a comfortable lounge and sitting area beside the hotel reception with couches and a small library of books to enjoy. They sold drinks and snacks here as well.

They provided a free breakfast in the mornings, however, I only had the opportunity to experience one breakfast as my flight left too early in the morning during my second stay. The breakfast that I had consisted of fresh fruit, yogurt and granola and juice. It was satisfying and tasty.

The hotel has free Wi-Fi which was fast and reliable.

The hotel was located two blocks from the central park in Alajuela and there were restaurants, banks, pharmacies and shops all within walking distance. The San Jose Airport was approximately a 10 minute drive from the hotel.

I felt safe staying at this hotel as a solo female traveler. There was a gate to enter the hotel from the street and the front door is always locked with a buzzer to press for the front desk staff to allow you to enter. I did not walk around Alajuela after dark after witnessing a physical fight between two local men a block from the hotel during the daytime (thankfully, it didn't seem too serious), which made me a little uneasy and cautious about the area. Other than that, I felt safe walking around on my own around the vicinity of the hotel and visited the park a couple of times.

Overall, I would recommend Hotel Los Volcanes as a simple and budget-friendly place to stay that is conveniently located close to the airport.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo

Thank you so much for writing such an informative review. We have been working hard to update and upgrade our hotel. Our prices are about 3% higher than our competitors for a similar equipped room. However, our service and ambiance is far superior. :-) We have the BEST staff that are attentive and truly care about our guests experience.

Alajuela is very safe and the safety of our guests is of great concern to us. I'm sorry you felt as if you could not go out after dark due to the altercation... It is very safe. I have been know to go out by myself as a single female. Not only do when have the gate to have to be buzzed in and a 24/7 Guest Services Staff, we have on site security at night.

I'm so glad you mentioned out WiFi. We put a lot into making it function so well.

We have four rooms that share the bathrooms all the other rooms have private baths. In our years of operation it has not been a huge problem. People seem to stagger their need of the shower well. In addition, we get into the bathroom between each guest to clean it for the next.

Not only are we great for your first and last night... there are so many things to do in our area.
We can help plan your exploration of the area on your next trip.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again on your next trip to Costa Rica.

Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

Our flight landed late at night and we cabbed it to the Hotel Los Volcanes. It’s a very good value- not fancy but comfortable, clean and convenient with a good breakfast (included). Perfect for our purpose and easy departure from the hotel to the coast for our beach vacay.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Volcanes2018, Owner at Hotel Los Volcanes, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2019

Our breakfast is wonderful. Fruit, Smoothie, and Eggs your way. We are glad you were able to enjoy.

We are excellent for your first and last night in Costa Rica like you mentioned. Also, there are so many things to do in our area. On your next vacay let us help plan some explorations of the area.

Reviewed February 22, 2019 via mobile

I was not asked my credit card information as I said I would be paying in cash. I checked out after I showered when I first arrived. The shower head was scummy and the water scalded me. The water did not cool down and I couldn’t rinse off.
I saw on my bank statement that I was charged for the room. They got my credit card information from a previous visit and charged my card without my authorization. This is now a fraud investigation with my bank. New American owners don’t believe in customer safety or satisfaction. I will never recommend this place again!

1  Thank Bernadette S
Volcanes2018, Owner at Hotel Los Volcanes, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2019

We are very much concerned about the safety and satisfaction of our guests. We strive daily to insure everyone has a great experience with us. And we tried to make accommodations for you as we were there at the time of your visit.

We take seriously the safety of our guests. In fact, are doing many things to make sure of their safety. We have installed new hand rails, floor gutter guards to prevent twisted ankles, etc. Things that the previous administration took no concern of.

The water system is the same as it has always been and can sometimes be hard to get the right balance of hot and cold water. Having said that, on our agenda for this past trip was to replace old shower heads left by the previous administration. We, in fact, have done that.

In so far as the credit card charge is concerned, our cancellation policy is clear. It is located on our website and on the confirmation email. You left because you thought the room charge was too much not because of the "issues". It was our season rate of $55.00 plus tax. You thought the total was the $55.00 so in an effort to hit your budget, we offered you the room at the rate with no tax. You declined our offer. That was when you brought out what your "issues" were. They were not "issues" until you found out the price of the room you booked. We were very willing to make accommodations for what you made into issues. You continued to decline our offer and left. Your card was charged in accordance to our cancellation and no show policy.

We are apologetic and feel as if we did everything we could to make you happy.

Reviewed February 17, 2019 via mobile

This place is awesome! The staff are incredibly friendly and speak English very well. The room was comfortable and clean and the building is very secure. As a solo female traveler, I felt very safe. It’s perfectly located to the center of town. The best part was definitely the breakfast! Best smoothie I’ve ever had. And they arrange rides to the airport for you. I’ll be coming back next week on my way back through the San Jose area and I know I’m in good hands.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Volcanes2018, Owner at Hotel Los Volcanes, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2019

This might be the best review. I love that our service was 5 Stars!!! Thank you so much!