“home away from home”

Ranked #2 of 58 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
“home away from home”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My family and i have been staying at Hotel Los Volcanoes for many years and i am writing a review of the hotel because i am truely impressed with the level of service they provide . The hotel is family owned and operated and the family atmsophere is noticed immediatelly upon entering the door .The owner takes great care of us from check in untill check out and this type of service only happens when the owner is soo involved in the daily operation as Jose is .It is a great place for the price and located really close to the international airport . Alujuela is the second largest city in Costa Rica and has everything one could want ,soo going all the way to San Jose is unneccesary ( most people think that San Jose is where the airport is but it is in Alujuela ).The breakfast is perfect with fresh fruits , C.R. coffe and homemade jam in a pleasant courtyard .The rooms are clean and comfortable . In an area of Costa Rica where hotels are overpriced and sometimes downright dissapointing we have found our casa in Los Volcanoes and will spend many nights more there ! Gracias Jose !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel is really an oasis in the city. The ambience is calming and the rooms have privacy. The staff is amazing. They are friendly and helpful. It's nice to stay at a hotel where the employees don't act like you are bothering them. Breakfast until 10 am is a wonderful bonus. fee taxi shuttle at the end of your visit is also awesome. One less detail to worry about! I will recommend this hotel to my friends and I will return. Ruth and Arturo

Room Tip: the deluxe rooms are a geat value
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our friends recommended Los Volcanes having stayed there twice before. It stands on a fairly quiet residential street and looks more like an old house than a hotel. Upon entering the charm and taste of the owners is immediately obvious. There are many beautiful objet d'art in the entrance and hallway and lots of interesting wall decorations. You feel slightly like you're in somebody's home. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are smallish, but very comfortable and clean. There is a small restaurant with quite good food and great breakfasts. Take a walk in either direction out the front and you're soon in an area of interesting shops and buildings. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the hall away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank maguiredan
Verona, New Jersey
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights at the beginning of our trip, and it was passable. I'll start with the positives: they were very accommodating in having our room ready before check-in time since our flight arrived early. Everyone who worked here was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was wonderful; you could order any or all of fruit with yogurt, eggs with mix-ins, toast and jam, and juice or smoothies, with unlimited coffee or tea. Honestly this was probably the best breakfast of our entire stay in Costa Rica. The hotel is located close enough to the airport to be a decent option before departure or upon arrival, and within Alajuela it's walkable to everything you could want. There's a fabulous smoothie place across the street.

The reason my review is only 3/5 is because our room had a major bug problem. We had little ants literally everywhere -- we couldn't walk barefoot for fear of stepping on a bunch of them. They were on the walls, the floor, the bathroom, and even the twin bed in our room! We also had a cockroach in our bathtub. I know it's a tropical country, so I'm generally forgiving of bugs, but it was just really gross. The room was quite tiny for the price we paid (for $60 we could barely walk around the bed), the TV reception was terrible (we didn't come to CR to watch TV but it would've been nice to unwind after a long day of exploring) and the wifi didn't work in our room.

On the whole it was a decent stay, but considering we spent the most here of any hotel the rest of our trip, I was disappointed with the overall value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sal67, Owner at Hotel Los Volcanes B&B, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We are so glad you found us accomodating and enjoy our breakfast, but also like to thank you for your bad comments, those kinds of cronstuctives reviews help us improve our integral service.

Regarding the insects problem , we would like to add the fact our hotel is surrounded by tropical gardens witch are considered one of the nicest on the downtown area, but the price we have to pay is this great amount of insects , so we should be really attent daily .

Respectfully , I consider an exageration the comment they were all over walls and the fact you could hardly walked, also important is that they are really tiny , harmless ants.

Regarding the TV is a pitty such a little problem causes your bad calification is just a simple cable connecting problem at the back side of the tv where the fitting from the cable plugs in.

We promise to pay more attention to those importants details after all that what hosting is about.

MUCHAS GRACIAS & PURA VIDA!! JOSE
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This little hotel is pleasantly tucked away in a popular shopping and dining area very near the beautiful downtown square of Alajuela. The hotel was once a beautiful and ornate single-story home, converted some years ago into a quaint hotel with additional rooms added in the back and to one side. A small courtyard with plants, trees, clay tile awnings, and a large fountain, with a covered seating are, provides a wonderfully protected and quiet enclave for breakfast made to order from a variety of options and served with casual class.

We would highly recommend this small hotel as a great value. For the money, it is a wonderful place to spend a night or two a short drive from the San Jose Airport.

The surrounding streets are all narrow, one-way streets with plenty of traffic and pedestrians in the late afternoon and evening, so it was a bit hectic getting there, but leaving in the morning was a breeze. We spent a pleasant hour or so in corner coffee shop and restaurant a block away eating dinner and watching all the people out shopping all the boutiques and meeting friends. I'd like to go back just to explore the area more. Walking through the historic and well-maintained downtown square just before dusk was romantic, and there were plenty of young couples cuddling and giggling together on the park benches.

Our room was small but clean, the bed was very good, and the air conditioning was good. We had antique sliding windows that opened onto the courtyard. There was also a ceiling fan. The shower and bathroom were very nice, but the promise of "hot" showers was both true and misleading. The hot water was somewhat spotty, as though it was being heated on the fly by a heater that could not always keep up with demand. It wasn't horrible, but the heat would drop off for a few minutes during a shower. Fortunately, the shower was large and it was easy to step aside while waiting for another burst of really hot water. I found myself adjusting the knobs repeatedly.

The only other issue was that "secure parking available" turned out to be a single parking space behind the ornate wrought iron gate at the sidewalk. We arrived just in time to get first dibs on the space, but that was just luck. Everybody else had to park on the street. While the area felt very safe during the daylight hours all the businesses and homes were well secured with iron grilles and gates indicating a potential for theft at night.

The staff of the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful. We appreciate their attention to our stay.

If we ever return to Costa Rica, we will definitely stay at Hotel Los Volcanes again.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room toward the back, if possible, to be furthest from the street and have a view...
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I spent 2 nights here, aug 16 and 23, before and after my trip to mal pais. I really enjoyed my stay. Eduardo was kind and accommodating. Prior to my arrival on the 16th, I had emailed the hotel multiple times for information. I recived prompt, courteous replies to all my queries.  When I arrived on the 16th, Eduardo greeted me with kindness and helped me find my way around the neighbourhood. Breakfast the next day was tasty and filling. I missed breakfast on my second stay due to early departure of my flight. The free taxi to the airport was a plus.
My first room was a simple single with shared washroom, perfect for a short stay. My second room was a single with private bathroom. It was located outside with a separate entrance. There was some street noise but because I fell asleep quite early, I'm not able to write when the noise subsided. In any event, ear plugs helped.
Hotel Los volcanes is a great place. Close to the airport. Close to shops, restaurants, parks. Being a single female, I felt safe walking around, with regular precautions.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank MsCicciaTO
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my brief stay here at the end of my trip to Costa Rica. I had previously stayed at a less than comfortable hotel in San Jose on one leg of my journey, and wasn't sure what to expect here. I arrived in the evening after a long bus ride. I was taken to a cozy room with a private bathroom. It was in a separate building to the left of the main building. It was simple but quite lovely and comfortable. The guy at the reception desk was pleasant and helpful. Twice the wifi wasn't working and he fixed it quickly. I missed breakfast but appreciated the shuttle to the airport. I definitely recommend this hotel as a place to stay when arriving to or leaving the San Jose airport.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 77 in San Jose

Been to Hotel Los Volcanes B&B? Share your experiences!