“The only peaceful place near San Jose!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Hotel Los Volcanes B&B
Ranked #2 of 61 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I traveled with two groups of students to Los Volcanes, and it was absolutely perfect. Staff were brilliant and accommodating, breakfast was legendary (especially the coffee!), and it was a center of peace in the chaos near San Jose. I highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Los Volcanes B&B

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay.I like to stay here the nite before my flight and find it very relaxing.I really liked the atmosphere.I got there late and Edwardo recommended a nice restaurant (Monteleone) just around the corner.I was traveling alone but felt safe because the police station is near by so they are visable.There was difficulties with my credit card because their machine was broken but again Edwardo came to the rescue.(thanks)The bed was very comfortable and the sheets felt like baby powder.The next day I had a lovely breakfast and was picked up on time for the airport.The only thing I would suggest is to have the cash to pay for your room .I totally recommend this B&B.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I spent my last night in Los Volcanes at the end of my trip in Costa Rica. This establishment was recommended to me by some friends I met in Costa Rica. The B & B was architecturally pleasing and also was clean and quiet. The staff was extremely pleasant and accommodating - Antonio was very helpful. Thank you! The complementary breakfast was fresh and delightful. The price was very affordable. Finally, I had a very pleasant surprise when Los Volcanes paid for my taxi ride to the airport. I can't express enough praise for this establishment. Thank you for making my last day in Costa Rica a nice finish and I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've stayed at Los Volcanoes for the past 4 years and have enjoyed my stay more and more each time. The hotel is safe, clean and affordable in a beautiful setting. The complimentary breakfast is excellent and they even through in a free taxi ride to the airport. Highly recommend

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not near the street. It can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AshaChotard
Reviewed February 15, 2013

...A beautiful old colonial mansion converted to very smart rooms with beautiful old wood detailing, or pay a little more for a super sleek, chic, modern room with flat screen tv, a/c ( which you won't really ever need)and groovy bathrooms.
Alajuela is the place to stay if you're just passing through on your way to or from the airport for the night. It's a lot cuter of a town, and a lot closer than the horrible San Jose. And best of all, it's very safe, a woman alone can walk freely and safely in the evening...
Despite several problems with their staff in the past and again on this visit, Los Volcanes Hotel is still the best deal in Alajuela, where terrible rooms abound. If you are looking for breakfast, be prepared to miss it if your flight has you leave the hotel before 7 am. Even though upon check- in I was promised breakfast at 6:45 am by the front desk clerk, not only did he forget to give me my wake-up call, but his story changed and in the morning I was told " it's written" that breakfast is not served until 7 am. I also had a very noisy room with what sounded like a nightclub over my head, but turned out to just be a noisy party in a private residence. The front desk clerk was nice enough to take care of the noise, and then helped me change rooms. However, he didn't seem to understand that he should first get me to my new room before taking the time to fix up the old room, while I waited in the dark, for 10 minutes, outside, with my bag for him to bring me to my new room.
And that, in a nut shell, is what is very often wrong with Costa Rican service. This was a very nice man, who had all the best intentions, but the mentality here is a little confused and they don't know how to prioritize their customer service over other surrounding tasks. It also would have been nice if wake- up calls were taken more seriously, as people are usually there to head to the airport!
A nice perk is a good computer system with printers, as well as free shuttle service TO (not from) the Airport
It's right off Park Central, 2 blocks away, which has its own lovely charms, including a beautiful church from 1781. Also right down the block from one of the only decent places to eat a quick bite, if you're just passing thru for the night -- don't miss Cevichitos, an adorable restaurant, dirt cheap, with amazing ceviche and a very sweet owner.
All in all Hitel Los Volcanes is a pleasure to visit...

Room Tip: Get the rooms in the main house only!
1  Thank nancydrew2016
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife, adult daughter and I stayed here two nights at the beginning of our trip to Costa Rica. We stayed here since we came in on different flights and wanted something close to the airport. We also wanted something relatively close to the Poas Volcano. A friend has recommended Los Volcanes and we were very pleased. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. Our flight was delayed and our daughter arrived 4 hours before us rather than 2 hours after us. I called ahead and the staff made my daughter feel at home and allowed her into our room even though the reservation was in my name. Breakfast was excellent -- individually prepared and tasty.

They convinced our tour to the Poas Volcano and Doka Coffee Planation to pick us up at Los Volcanes even though they initially wanted to pick us elsewhere in Alajuela.

For location and comfort Los Vocanes is highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights as part of a transfer and we were pleasantly surprised. The room was small but had a great shower and we slept well. There was excellent service from the front desk and the breakfast was amazing, well presented and tasted great. Overall a good hotel in a good location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple