“Very welcoming and convenient”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Hotel Los Volcanes B&B
Ranked #3 of 63 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We were very pleased with this beautiful b & b so close to the airport. The decor is warm and lovely, and so is the staff. We felt very welcomed for our first night in Costa Rica.
The breakfast included was delicious and very generous. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lobby.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The best choice I made when planning my solo trip to Costa Rica was to avoid San Jose and head for Alajuela and Hotel Los Volcanes B&B. Just 5mins from San Jose airport, it's airy rooms and gurgling fountain are the perfect antidote to a longhaul flight. The ceiling fans, so much healthier and nicer to sleep with than aircon, have 6 (silent) speeds but i found an open window looking onto the quiet back courtyard to be sufficient. And, miracle, there was not one single mosquito.

Jose, the owner, is also just about the nicest Costa Rican you can hope to meet and since hardly any locals I met spoke English, he was a godsend and helped me plan my day trips as well as giving me lots of tips for my due departure to the mountains of Monteverde and Sta Elena - buses, routes, prices, etc.

Breakfast - not huge quantities but just the right amount of fruit, freshly prepared juice, tea/coffee, bread and delicious mango(?) jam and eggs any way you want them - is beautifully presented outdoors. And, If you stick around, you get to meet some really interesting people and even potential travel chums. I was seriously tempted to change my plan and join a yoga trainee in Montezuma!

It's often a misconception that you have to stay in a hostel to get your own room - here I had my own twin bedroom and shared a spacious bathroom with just a handful of other people so it was always free when I needed it. But rooms with private bathrooms are also available.

And remember that Alajuela is far closer to the airport than San Jose, so it makes sense to stay here, plus most buses from San Jose will pass through here as it is still considered a major town. This can save you 45mins travel time and having to change buses.

So thank you again, Jose, for your kind and helpful hospitality and for making my stay in Costa Rica so much more memorable. I hope this little blurb will encourage people to visit Los Volcanes as it is certainly a place to share.

Ana

Room Tip: Sharing a room with another person means the cost is just $5 more for each of you. But travelling so...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here our first and last nights of trip - less than ten minutes from SJO. Staff very friendly and helpful with recommendations for restaurants and directions - made sure we had coffee,fruit and toast even though we had to leave before the 7:00 breakfast - a quiet oasis in an interesting part of town.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This B&B is certainly one of my favorite hotel I've stopped in Costa Rica. I arrived there without a reservation and finally stayed for 5 nights. The staff is so welcomed and always there for you. It was the perfect place for me to get a rest after a 2 months trip all around Costa Rica. The rooms are amazing clean, very cosy. The different type of rooms are made for every budgets and the prices always stay very honest. The superior rooms are very nice. Wifi is working very well and in every rooms. The breakfast, included in room price, is delicious, fresh make and served by the staff just for you: fruit smoothy, eggs, toasts, fruit salad with granola, coffee, tea, are taken in the interior peaceful and beautiful garden. You will always feel like a special guest here!!! 5 minutes to the airport. Eduardo, the receptionist, is great! He's got the best town recommendations (for a walk, a lunch, a dinner...). He is the best host ever!!!!!
I spend my 2012 christmas in Hotel los Volcanes, and it will always be an unforgettable christmas eve for me, thank you Eduardo ;-)
You will never feel like waisting your money staying in that hotel!!!

Room Tip: The superior rooms with AC and flat screen, are in the back of the main house and got a very quite...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel los volcanes was excellent. The room i had was close to the street (#15) and was a little noisy. i used ear plugs and slept very well. the breakfast was the best i had in costa rica. eduardo was the perfect host. he seems to never sleep, always on the job. eduardo's dinner recommendation was spot on. alajuela is a nice small town to stroll around in, safe and very picturesque. the central park and cathedral were beautiful and a wonderful place to sit and watch people. my taxi to the airport was on time and FREE, part of the room rate. I would highly recommend the hotel and town as a great way to start and or end a trip to costa rica.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We arrived to hotel Los Volcanes without a reservation and the staff welcomed us in and made sure we had everything we needed.

The staff were knowledgeable (whereabouts of post office and ATMs) and recommended a good restaurant and organised a reliable taxi to the airport and spoke excellent English.

Our room was tidy and spacious and we had a great nights sleep in the middle of the hotel with no noise disruption.

The best part by far was the wonderful hot (shared bathroom) showers with incredible pressure after months without them!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Great little B&B only ten minutes or so from SKO airport. Very secure, with a neat interior garden cafe area - breakfasts (eggs & toast, fruit, and good coffee) are terrific. Rooms are clean and fairly modern (esp. their "superior" rooms with en suite bathroom) , and free wifi throughout. I often use this as a base at the start or end of an excursion in CR - it's a peaceful place to stay, with friendly, accomodating staff - yet only two blocks from bustling heart of Alajuela. At lunchtime, be sure to wander into the central market down the street for terrific tamales, etc!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business