WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
sask
“just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We booked rooms for our arrival and departure at the brillasol back in early fall, the good things are on arrival there was a shuttle to pick us up on time, the rooms were clean and the staff was helpful. On our departure we arrived to find out they oversold rooms to a large group and we then had the option of a cabin with just a bed or a back room next to the kitchen which had a shower and tv at least. We are not fussy people and the price we paid was not overpriced for he discounted the room because of there mistake which was all right and the fact we were leaving early next day we could live with the mistake. We would probably book with them again because of location and price as they did try to help make things better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hebrew first
Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

The day before I was due to arrive in San Jose, I received an email from Brilla Sol that the room I reserved was no longer available. They had a very large university group come in as a class and I suspect my room was given to them. They offered me a "cabina" instead, saying it had no A/C or TV. Since I was only looking for a good night's rest before 24 hours of travel, I said I did not care about those things.

Well.... the cabinas have only screens for windows so my whole family heard every rooster, every dog, every airplane, and the university class talked and laughed in groups until midnight a mere 20 feet from my bed. The worst part was that it was windy and the wood shutters banged against the wall all night long. It sounded like fifty wooden spoons pounding on all the walls at once. Needless to say, none of us slept at all.

We had to walk into the office to use the bathroom, which was open at midnight and at 5:30 a.m., but locked at 3 a.m., creating an uncomfortable situation.

I did not get to try the breakfast because we left at 6 a.m., but the dinner the night before was very good. The shuttle was prompt, the pool was too cold to enjoy and dirty. The grounds were beautiful, with lots of fruit trees. Next time I will stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building may be fine, but I would not recommend the cabinas.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Afordable, dependable, comfy hotel near airport. We've been 4 times to Costa Rica throught San Jose airport and always stayed there. In fact, we were there 3 times before and this time didn't need a hotel near the airport since our flight was so early; we could reach our final destination in one day (Manuel Antonio). But because of bad weather, our flight was very late and we would reach the capital at midnight with no reservation. I emailed them from our transit airport and without proper reservation or credit card info, they were at the airport with a sign with my name on it. Free shuttle to the hotel, took 5 minutes. They kept the reception open for us so we could buy drinks before heading to bed. They woke us up at the perfect time, in time for a great breakfast. Buffet of fruits, bread, cereals, juice and coffee and service of eggs and gallo pinto. And then, free shuttle to the Sansa airstrip for our flight to Manuel Antonio. And all that for an unbeatable price!

The grounds of the hotel is great. Peaceful garden with flowers and fruits trees. Birds. Quiet neibourghood. There is a pool with patio, outdoor restaurant, little path throught the garden, and some kind of large reception area, a covered large table for 20 peoples maybe. The hotel itself is 2 stories with outdoor patio. All the furniture is great big dark wood. The room itsfelf is large with a sinle and a double bed, couch, dresser, armoire, tv, fan. Don't think there was AC, but we don't need it in the mountain like that. The bed were always a little uncomfortable, too soft. That would be my only concern. The batroom is large, with a large shower and hot water. Not recently renovated, but still clean and functional.

To us, for the price, you can't find better hotel that could be so dependable, servicable, easy, comfy, serein. Going in and out of Costa Rica, we will always chose this place.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
West Hollywood, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel twice now, and it is a perfect, simple overnight Hotel close by the airport if you don't feel like trekking all the way into the center of town. Very quaint, clean place . Staff is super friendly . You can't beat the price which includes airport transfer and breakfast . It will make your travel easy. The owner is wonderful . I had problems with my credit card, and she let me stay anyway, when I assured her I would pay the next morning . I thought that was very kind .

Room Tip: I liked room 8
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
sams_pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Whether looking for a place to go that first night after you have arrived late at the airport or wanting a place close to the airport that will be convenient for your escape on the last day in country, the Hotel Brillasol is a great choice. The rates are NOT over the top, the complimentary breakfast in the morning is excellent and they have a shuttle service that can pick-up or deliver to the airport if you organize it ahead of time. That, alone saves quite a lot on the taxi ride. There is an internet cafe conveniently located a couple of blocks away on the main road and a nice suburban community where you can find anything from a pharmacy to a haircut at a reasonable price.

The Employees are always friendly and helpful. They will even advise you on travel and sightseeing plans. This is my preferred first and last stop when I visit Costa Rica.

Room Tip: You can ask to see the room before you select. I have never had a "Bad" room. The garden...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is a very nice place to stay the night before you fly. The rooms are clean. The staff is very nice. The garden and the vines growing on the porch are beautiful and create a relaxed atmosphere. Once inside the walled grounds, it is easy to forget you are in a city neighborhood behind the airport. There is a little shop for last day gift purchases. Meals are delicious, simple, and affordable. Sometimes it can be a little noisy but that is a trade-off with being so close to the airport. The free shuttle will get you there in 5 to 10 minutes!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

recommended by taxi driver as close to hotel with 5 minute shuttle included..wonderful optional meal at night... chicken lasagna with salad and homemade bread am for $9 US.. kind wonderful managers who will give you lots of tips for your trip but speak minimal english

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends