“Close to airport, great breakfast, awesome host”

Vida Tropical B and B
Ranked #8 of 62 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We chose this bnb because of its ratings and proximity to the airport. We arrived close to midnight after a 2hr wait at Thrifty (horrendous customer service). At that hour it was a bit confusing to find, and we had to enlist a local to help us (Tico love!!!). The hostess helped us get parked up and once we settled in she gave us a quick. The honor system for beverages was a nice touch at that hour. Breakfast was great - your choice of typical Tico breakfast or somethign mroe familiar like french toast. There were also cereals, breads, coffee/tea you could help yourself to. On our way out of Costa Rica we stayed here again, this time Jose was on duty. What a cool guy! We let him know that we were getting up at a crazy hour to avoid Thrifty delays, and he got up before us, made fresh banana bread and offered the regular breakfast. This is a great place as a first stop, especially for families. It was peaceful, within walking distance to the grocery store and restaurants and some nice sights in Alajeula.

Room Tip: We had rooms on both the first and second floor and liked them both. A room away from the street mi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thanks for the great review, it was a pleasure having you as a guest in our humble place. Your experience with the rental car is a perfect example of why we recommend that you don't get the car the night you arrive, as addresses in Costa Rica are based on landmarks which can't be easily seen at night. It's better if you take a $7-8 cab ride (you will save 5-6 times that by having one less day of rental), and get there quickly and safely. All rental agencies will do a pickup here in the AM at any time you want, like after a good night's sleep and breakfast.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We've stayed in Vida Tropical four times now, in 2009, 2012 and 2013. It's a great place to stay on your way to or from the San Jose airport - much better than staying in San Jose itself. The rooms are pretty basic, but are very clean and comfortable. Breakfast is excellent, with a nice little courtyard to look out upon. Isabel is a wonderful host, and will help you with whatever airport transportation or tour assistance you might need. Highly recommended!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Isabel and Silvia will make you feel very welcome here at this small B&B in a quiet street a short walk from the centre of Alajuela. It´s a great place to stay if you going to or from the airport and if you don´t fancy the madness of San Jose. It´s also very convenient for Poas Volcano which you can easily do on the public bus for next to nothing. If you´re from somehere unusual like me, take them a small flag from your country and a small bank note for their collection. Isabel and Silvia both helped me organise trips and a hostel in la Fortuna. Nothing is too much trouble for them.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Very good place to stay.

Nothing is too much trouble, which must be hard sometimes, particularly with the high turnover of guests, staying one night for the airport.

Isabel is fantastic like rest of the staff, I introduced myself it was only a brief meeting and was the only time she was there when I was, she may not even remember my visit. They organised a Taxi for me for Paos & Le Paz, and the driver was amazing - he turned into a personal guide. (Alex)

For breakfast I highly recommend the Texan Omelette. With their own home made Chilli sauce.

Room Tip: Avoid the bottom apartment for outside noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My six year old daughter and a had a short, although wonderful stay, at Vida Tropical. We stayed here the last night of the Costa Rica leg of our trip. Isabel was kind enough to allow us to leave our luggage and some prescription medication that required refrigeration. Isabel was great at answering emails. Jose, the owner, was there when we arrived and welcomed my daughter by showing off the bunnies in the back. My daughter and I went on a walk to find something to eat. The neighborhood is very nice and perfectly safe. On the way towards downtown we heard a young family speaking both English and Spanish to their son. Although I speak Spanish, I was tired and decided to ask them for directions. The family turned out to be Isabel, her husband and son. Our children, who are the same age, played together in the park and then we accompanied them to their restaurant Normans. They are a lovely family and it was one of those great coincidences.
We had a restful night sleep and an informal wake up call by Jose in the morning. Breakfast was good and Jose was kind enough to also pack my daughter some food for the airport. I can't recommend this place enough. It felt like home!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family (3 children, husband and myself) stayed for one night at the beginning of a trip and one night at the end of the trip. I can't say enough good things about this property.

First let me start with Isabel. She was a great help prior to our trip answering emails with my many questions and offering to assist in any way. When I asked if my children and I could come early, drop off luggage and leave for the day for a tour - no problem. She let us know some tour companies would pick us up from the property so she made the phone call and arrangements for us to be picked up at Vida Tropical instead of the casino where we were supposed to wait for our tour. She helped us arrange transportation from our other location to their property. Guess I'm trying to say is she made everything very easy for us and took away all worries about traveling between properties and the airport.

When we arrived early Saturday morning with a LOT of luggage in tow (sorry!) we were greeted by Jose since it was Isabel's weekend off. He quickly showed us to the breakfast area where he fed us fresh fruit, banana bread, toast, juice and coffee and offered to cook breakfast for us. When we got back from our excursion we found our luggage in our rooms. Thank you, Jose! Also we had been discussing fresh fruit and how guanabana is our favorite. While we were out touring Jose had gone to the market to get guanabana for us! The next day he sent the leftovers with us when we checked out.

Both times we stayed there we rented 2 rooms. They offered us one large room to save us money, but we really just wanted to spread out a little. The first stay we had the Fish room and the Bamboo room. Both were very comfortable. Since we were the last to check out the next day we had access to 3 bathrooms. Our second stay we had the Gecko room and Dragon room. The Dragon room seemed a little stuffy when we first entered but the fan took care of that. The only negative of the room is the window opens directly onto the breakfast/living area. Had we not wanted to be next door to our children we might have tried to request one of the other rooms. However all was well with the fan, and we slept great.

We left our excess luggage there for the week between stays at no extra charge. We left laundry, and it was ready for us when we returned. We had we clothes with us, and Isabel said we could hang them on the clothesline. When we were out and it started raining she went out and got our clothes off the line for us.

All of these little things are what make staying at Vida Tropical such a great experience. You won't get that kind of personal service at a cookie cutter chain hotel.

Thank you Jose and Isabel for making us feel at home and for taking such great care of our family!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

It was a pleasure to see young kids go crazy for fruits like guanabana, which is high in my personal list of great fruits of the tropics, but a bit different from the norm, like mamon chino, which they loved as well. I hope you remembered the guanabana pulp I left for you in the drink fridge. I hope Dad had a good time, the boys were certainly looking forward to him joining you all for the last leg.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We only stayed one night as we had a flight in san jose. We may have been unlucky becuase it seems that isabel is great. However, she had business to do when we were there and the remaining staff does not speak english and unfortunatlly I am not bilingual. We found it hard to express what we needed and I also found the lady who made me breakfast a little rude. We had the room down stairs. We were the only couple in the room but there are many beds in the B&B. When we arrived it was pretty hectic (again maybe just unlucky timing) but still I didn't enjoy my last night in Costa Rica as much as I would have liked.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for the upstairs room, seems more secluded.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Hi travel adventure

I am really sorry that your last night in Costa Rica was disappointing. I know that every vacation day is precious and your expectations are high.

It is true that the only fully bilingual staff members are Isabel and I, and we are rarely there at the same time, so if either of us is busy with other guests when you need us, well, we are working on cloning ourselves, but no luck so far. 99% of the time it is super laid back and we can respond to your needs immediately, but sometimes it all happens at the same time and you have to wait a bit.
As a friend says, the difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a bit longer.

Regarding the room, you had the Gecko room, which is a family room, with a queen bed and a bunk bed, but it is always a private room, we don't have any rooms shared by strangers. Because the Gecko Room is by the front door, there is a bit of traffic by it, when people go in and out. Lots of people request it for the same reason, specially if they are leaving super early and/or they have a lot of luggage and don't want to carry it upstairs. It is one of our most popular rooms, lots of space.

Regarding Sylvia the cook who served your breakfast, she is a lovely woman with a friendly smile and great attitude, and I personally have never seen her be other than that with people, and our repeat guests adore her. Maybe because her English is extremely limited (read nonexistent), and she's been with us 10 years, always encouraging to learn English, but she just won't, it can be seen as rude because she's embarrassed by it, who knows, but in any case, I apologize for all these factors which disappointed you on your last day.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations, it is helpful to get reviews which point out ways we can try to better serve our guests. We've been in business for 13 years, and lasting that long is accomplished by constant reassessment of your product, which is a service to travellers.

Cheers,