“Constant quality!!!”

Vida Tropical B and B
Ranked #6 of 65 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have been coming to Vida Tropical for over 8 years and still love it! it is a great place to start and end a trip. The rooms are comfortable and and the showers have good hot water. They are wonderful people and helpful beyond a regular B and B. The breakfast is great and the attention filled with care. When they are booked they are helpful in finding another place to stay. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: The rooms in the front are on the road and can be a bit noisier - but it is a quiet street and I hav...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Vida is a small house in a nice neighborhood within walking distance to downtown. There are four or five rooms, places to hang out, and they serve up an incredible breakfast. The owner, Jose, was a sweet man with a generous spirit (when he found out that my five-year-old wanted chocolate chip waffles he went out and bought some just for her). We could not have asked for better hospitality.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TikkunOlam77
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Fortunately, a nearby grocery store had Eggos, it was worth it for the smile, thanks for the nice review

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have stayed in many places around the world and I must say , my experience here was arguably the worst place i have ever stayed in all of my travels.

First of all, I had a REALLY hard time finding the place. I don't know if it was late at night or what, but the directions provided on the internet need some serious improvement. There are basically no signs outside of the house (btw, it is really a "house") which makes it EXTREMELY difficult to find at night.

I was greeted at the door (definitely woke up whoever answered the door) and shown to my room. It was very small but here's the big issue: the bed/room reeked HORRIBLY of a dirty man smell/ body odor. It was about 11:15 at night and I was exhausted from my trip. I thought about leaving but was just too tired to leave. I tried to sleep but the smell of the room permeated through my nose. It just STANK. I was really frustrated. The room just didn't seem clean at all...I was afraid there might even be bedbugs.

After finally falling asleep at midnight I was awoken at 4 am by someone upstairs walking around. The walls /floors are paper thin so guarantee you'll hear someone if you are downstairs. At this point, I just wanted out, so I left.

It was a really bad experience staying here. Felt like a really raunchy hostel. I would think twice about staying here............

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank voodoo-d
JosefromCostaRica, Owner at Vida Tropical B and B, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Hi voodoo

I'm really sorry you were not happy with our humble place. Yes, it's not easy to find, there are no addresses in Costa Rica, so if the cab driver is not familiar with landmarks used, they might have a problem finding anything.

Regarding the room, we pride ourselves in cleanliness, so I don't know what you were smelling, we change bedding constantly, sweep and mop all rooms, etc, and have literally dozens of people using the rooms with no complaints, and we check all the rooms over and over to make sure all is OK. Yes, it's a house, and it can happen that a guest leaving for an early flight can be noisy, but we try to be as quiet as possible for the peace of the guests.

Again, I'm sorry you were so unsatisfied, we get so many good reviews that the bad ones really hurt and surprise us, just makes us try harder and not be complacent.

Thanks,

Jose

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I arrived late at night but had no problems checking in. I somehow lucked out with a big room with a queen bed and private bath at the back of the garden. (maybe I paid more for it? I don't know what the other rooms are like...) I was just there for a night, but things were clean and the hot shower was welcome after a long day of travel.

The breakfast was by far the best part. I don't remember what i had, but involved countless tasty things like rice and beans, eggs, fresh fruit, and toast with nutella. I even got away with 2nds (and 3rds... on coffee). Their library is extensive and I found some good info from random (albeit a bit outdated) tour books.

The next morning they called me a cab to take me to the bus station. Because I had a late arrival/early departure schedule, I didn't get to explore the area, but it's within walking distance of a bank. On my way there I passed restaurants, pulperias, sodas, and a school, so I got the 'good neighborhood' vibe.

Room Tip: The room on the back side of the garden is very separate and private.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was our first stop in Costa Rica and the hospitality of the manager and staff left a very good first impression. Most memorable was our breakfast made with love by Sylvia, traditional guyo pinto. Isabelle is very friendly and helpful and we got to meet her adorable son too. We had plenty of room to spread out and we only stayed one night before heading into the jungle. We also highly recommend the driver that was arranged for us, Alex Hernandez. He spoke english and was awesome~ we hired him three times! He will take you any where in the country.

Room Tip: we had the front room but if i were to go back i would choose the room in the back yard that is se...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jillian N
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We are B&B owners ourselves. We rely on Tripadvisor for our reviews and also research reviews to determine where we would like to stay while out of town. We found Vida Tropical on Tripadvisor. We called and spoke with Isabelle, who was very warm, informative, and welcoming. So, we decided to try Vida Tropical.

We were not disappointed with our choice. The B&B is located in a quaint area of town. it is walking distance to restaurants, bus lines, parks and shops. The kitchen in Vida Tropical has everything you need to make your own meals, if you wish.

You can take buses into Pavas or San Jose easily and save yourself quite a bit of money over the taxi fares. Isabelle and the staff know the various bus locations and schedules.

The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. The bathroom is shared, but did not pose a problem at all. Very seldom do you have couples all getting up and going at the same times. (never in our case).

The staff is very helpful. There is a refrigerator with beverages for your purchase, same price you would pay at the store.

They also have a restaurant up the street. Jalapenos. This is a tex-mex restaurant with excellent food. The prices are very reasonable, and the owner, Norman (Isabelle's husband) is quite a hoot.

This is a great value for the money and comfort.

Room Tip: If you like to watch tv in bed, ask for one of the rooms with tv.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank casitacorcovado
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Close to the airport which was the main reason we chose to stay here.
Isabel, the manager, is very friendly and always available to help. Silvia makes an amazing breakfast (very good coffee too). The B&B is located in a residential area which makes it very quiet during night. We stayed here on two different occasions, the first time on the upper floor (3 rooms with one shared bathroom, although we were the only guest there that night) and the second time in the garden room which is more private (not the biggest room but alright for shorter stay).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple