“Amazing, world-class dinner”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Amazing, world-class dinner”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We could not have been more amazed by this restaraunt (which is changing its name). We recommend it very highly for anyone spending time in Alajuela, as it is 15 minutes from the airport and also 15 minutes (or less) from Xandari Resort.
+ We ate early and had the whole place to ourselves, so the personalized attention was special.
+ Despite the lack of a menu, the owner worked with us to create tailored entrees precisely to our liking while making very thoughtful suggestions.
+ The food was incredibly fresh, the meat tasty and the portions of significant size. Our two young children ate far more than they typically do!
+ The place was clean, very professional, yet very simple. We felt like we were in a five-star restaraunt in a major metropolitan city.
+ We were not troubled by the prices; it is not appropriate on a budget, but we certainly made more for other dinners in Costa Rica (ie, Kapi Kapi in Manuel Antonio).

San Francisco
“Food Allergies beware”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My food was good, my boyfriends food was great. BUT, the thing to watch out for is any food allergies. The owner said she knew all about gluten free and other food allergies, but didn't and ended up serving me some 'sorbet' that had milk in it. I had told her I'm allergic to dairy, gluten, and egg and repeatedly asked if the sorbet had any milk and she kept saying no, then after I took a couple bites came out and said she was sorry but it actually did contain milk. She seemed much more knowledgable about gluten-free than dairy-free. She was lovely and the place was lovely but if you have food allergies be careful. For this reason, I give it 3 stars.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank SFeliz
Alajuela, Costa Rica
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not for me”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Dined at C-Vichito y Mas January 11, 2014. Only meats offered were beef or pork ribs. Beef offered grilled or slow cooked. We were told the slow cooked beef would be tender. It was Not tender but tough. We ordered two beers and they got them both wrong. Prices are high. I paid $30 plus dollars for a beer and a steak that I did not like.
If you want a better steak at a better price try Airport Hotel Restaurant or San Martino Resort.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Nice spot for dinner by the airport”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

As others have posted this is in a slightly unusual spot and may be difficult to find without assistance. My hotel new exactly where it was however and organised a taxi who dropped me at the door. The round trip cost from the airport hotels is around $20 as an aside.
The restaurant is small and cosy with no more than around 10 tables surrounding an open kitchen. Chef Alvaro (who I had booked with via email) greeted me personally and welcomed me to the restaurant.
All guests are served a Ceviche amuse bouche with dips alongside of passion fruit, guava, blackberry and choc. A really different and delicious presentation of this Costa Rican speciality.
I would agree with another reviewer who said it is not that they don't have a menu, simply that it isn't written down. Your server will talk you through the options - based around pasta, meat or fish which no doubt varies based on what is freshly available.
The lady that was my server was extremely knowledgable and obviously passionate about their offer and made suggestions and proposed alternative ways of combining different elements of the menu.
I ordered a fresh pineapple juice with ginger and peppermint (incredible) with an appetiser of shrimps with garlic in a portobello mushroom and then tuna grilled and then fried with a passion fruit sauce. Both were well cooked and tasty but I have to admit to wishing I'd ordered the fantastic looking fresh pasta. Portions are also pretty generous
The meal was rounded off with a complimentary and a delicious mini desert of white chocolate soup with a blackberry reduction.
A great little spot with a fantastic team and a lovely way to finish off my holiday whilst staying close to the airport for an early flight.

Visited January 2014
Wellington, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Remarkable!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We often spend our last Costa Rican evening in San Jose. This finally makes the journey worth the long ride to the airport. Ana, the owner's wife and partner, patiently guided us in as we phoned her because we had trouble finding the location. It adds adventure to the journey. You may consider just taking a taxi if your uncomfortable navigating around the area.
Alvaro and his staff are a treat to behold. They are focused artists who are truly passionate about their profession! We ordered the salmon with passion sauce and corvina with rosemary and olive oil. Both came surrounded with different fresh vegetables. We shared coconut flan and white chocolate soup for dessert. Our dinners were so beautifully plated. We look forward to returning on our next trip.