“Nice spot for dinner by the airport” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of C-Vichito y Mas

C-Vichito y Mas
Ranked #6 of 177 Restaurants in Alajuela
Cuisines: Latin, Seafood, International, Spanish, Fusion, Central American, Costa Rican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Nice spot for dinner by the airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

As others have posted this is in a slightly unusual spot and may be difficult to find without assistance. My hotel new exactly where it was however and organised a taxi who dropped me at the door. The round trip cost from the airport hotels is around $20 as an aside.
The restaurant is small and cosy with no more than around 10 tables surrounding an open kitchen. Chef Alvaro (who I had booked with via email) greeted me personally and welcomed me to the restaurant.
All guests are served a Ceviche amuse bouche with dips alongside of passion fruit, guava, blackberry and choc. A really different and delicious presentation of this Costa Rican speciality.
I would agree with another reviewer who said it is not that they don't have a menu, simply that it isn't written down. Your server will talk you through the options - based around pasta, meat or fish which no doubt varies based on what is freshly available.
The lady that was my server was extremely knowledgable and obviously passionate about their offer and made suggestions and proposed alternative ways of combining different elements of the menu.
I ordered a fresh pineapple juice with ginger and peppermint (incredible) with an appetiser of shrimps with garlic in a portobello mushroom and then tuna grilled and then fried with a passion fruit sauce. Both were well cooked and tasty but I have to admit to wishing I'd ordered the fantastic looking fresh pasta. Portions are also pretty generous
The meal was rounded off with a complimentary and a delicious mini desert of white chocolate soup with a blackberry reduction.
A great little spot with a fantastic team and a lovely way to finish off my holiday whilst staying close to the airport for an early flight.

Visited January 2014

Wellington, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Remarkable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We often spend our last Costa Rican evening in San Jose. This finally makes the journey worth the long ride to the airport. Ana, the owner's wife and partner, patiently guided us in as we phoned her because we had trouble finding the location. It adds adventure to the journey. You may consider just taking a taxi if your uncomfortable navigating around the area.
Alvaro and his staff are a treat to behold. They are focused artists who are truly passionate about their profession! We ordered the salmon with passion sauce and corvina with rosemary and olive oil. Both came surrounded with different fresh vegetables. We shared coconut flan and white chocolate soup for dessert. Our dinners were so beautifully plated. We look forward to returning on our next trip.

• Visited January 2014
Calgary, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“nice place but expensive for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

we enjoyed our food in this cozy restaurant. we had a hard time finding the restaurant, in fact we drove by it and didn't notice it, since colors on the sign were faded with the sun and you couldn't read the name of restaurant. the owners are so nice, the only thing is that they explain the menu to you, it is better if they print some menus and give people chance to look at all the options and think about them. in general, the food was good.

pantagenet
“C-vichito: worth staying by airport day before departure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Before I travel for business or pleasure I do my research on Tripadvisor and other review sites for hotels and restaurants reviews. I am a well-informed traveler and foodie. My dinner at C-vichitos y Mas in Alajuela is one of top five culinary experiences that I have felt in my 56 years as a denizen of this planet. Honestly, I need not to exaggerate (look at the other reviews). Alvaro the chef and owner is to Costa Rica what El Buli is to Spain. There is no menu in his restaurant. He just ask you what you feel eating , gives you the rundown of available meats and seafood, asks a few more questions and then he cooks for you. All vegetables are from his farm. Alvaro is a food scholar; he is passionate and committed to his “concept.” I paid $54 for a bottle of (very nice) pinot grigio, and two entrees . My advice to you, goo earlier, before the locals arrive, say 6:30 pm…you will have him all by yourself…..will cook in front of you, and explain the source of the ingredients and the rationale behind it. Before you leave Costa Rica stay by the airport the day before departure and visit him.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank pantagenet
Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Great food hidden in Alajuela!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is an unassuming little restaurant tucked into a neighborhood near PriceSmart in Alajuela. It is a jewel of an eatery. I had the short ribs which were bathed in a tamarind glaze. They were rich and perfectly cooked. They were served on bed of beautifully prepared asian style vegetables. Small, new potatoes adorned the edge of the plate. My husband had homemade fettucine with fresh perfectly cooked and seasoned seafood. The sauce was a crab reduction with tomato and fine herbs. We started the meal with 2 ounce shot glasses filled with a tasty corvina ceviche served with five delicious and surprising dipping sauces. The chef finished off our meal with a shot glass filled with a whiite chocolate soup topped by a red wine ice. Our drink of choice was freshly made lemonade with mint. Total cost for the meal was $50. The portions were generous. Service was impeccable. NOTE: AS OF DEC. 2013 THEY WILL HAVE A NEW NAME - CASA FÚSION RESTAURANTE.

• Visited November 2013