“Very close to the airport and brand-spanking new”

Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Shiny and new in all respects, and completely, predictably Marriott-branded. If you've every stayed at a Courtyard, you know exactly what to expect.

Couldn't be closer to the airport.

The food was remarkably good, lots of "typical" Costa Rican dishes, plus pizza and the like. The restaurant staff nicely allowed us to carry our bottle of wine to our room while we were waiting for our food to be delivered.

The desk staff generously allowed me to use their phone---at no charge--to call my airline (and hand around on hold for about 20 minutes, as usual) to figure out a check-in glitch.

One huge caveat: If you need to ask driving directions be very, very sure you get ahold of someone who knows what they're talking about and who is able to provide the CORRECT map. The very nice young woman at the front desk gave me husband erroneous directions to the Dollar Rent a Car office, which turned what should have been a twenty minute round trip into a two-hour, in-the-dark wild ride around Alauela and San Jose. Not fun.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoQ-GMCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Dear guest:
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I would like to apologize for the error of our staff in providing directions to get to the rental car facility. Our Front Desk Leader has made maps with written directions to the closets rental car offices to provide upon arrival to all our guests, and those will be also shared in our pre arrival comunications as well.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed here the night before our early flight out. When I compared prices for similar airport hotels, they were all more or less the same, but the "extra person" charge (the fourth person, in our case) makes it confusing (we encountered this charge in the other two places we stayed, so it must be a costa rican thing). Anyway, this place stacked up as slightly cheaper than Hampton or HE Express. It is very close to the airport. There is construction on three sides, but we did not hear any noise inside the hotel. The folks at the front desk were very nice. The hotel itself looks brand new. It's very modern and high tech and seems quite luxurious. The room, linens, bathroom were immaculate. There's an iPod dock and a flat screen TV. Free wi-fi in the rooms. There is a big workstation area in the lobby where you can use the computers to print your boarding passes (hint: when there are people waiting, it's not the time to put in your camera's memory card and look at your five hundred vacation pictures!!) However, the room only had a one-cup coffee maker with ONE pack of terrible coffee, which seemed incongruously cheap. I had read in other reviews that there are restaurants nearby, but you couldn't get to them without a cab - traffic in this area is nuts and there is no sidewalk to walk anywhere. There is a restaurant in the lobby; the eating area is soulless and generic, but the food, though pricey, is not bad. They start serving breakfast at six, but we left before then so I don't know how it is (I just know there was no coffee available before six!) There is a Wal-Mart right next door where you can get anything you'd get at a WM in the states, including beer, liquor, and deli food. Note that if you pay your departure tax at the hotel, you pay for the convenience - it was five dollars more per person than if we paid it at the airport. The shuttle starts running at 4am and was ready and waiting when we left the hotel at 5:50am.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We decided to use this hotel as our begin and end night of out 11 day Costa Rica trip. It is close to San Jose Airport and makes an easy in and out point to the country.

Both our stays were comfortable. Maybe because I'm platinum elite with Marriott, maybe because the hotel is great. Regardless, we had nice stay and I would return again if visiting San Jose in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We arrived into SJO at 11pm. This hotel is literally a stones throw from the Terminal but you will need to take the free hotel shuttle to get across the freeway.

Hotel is new and very clean. This place is like being in America - beers are $6!!! And the room was $160 a night. We've found that Costa Rica is no longer a cheap destination!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was glad to have chosen this hotel upon arriving in San Jose. I only spent one night as I had a flight on Sansa the next AM. All of the staff, both in reception and the bar are extremely helpful, speak english, and are generally lovely. I was grateful for that being a lone traveler. The hotel itself is very close to the airport. I intended to take the shuttle but it is mass of people outside and didn't see the shuttle so I took a 5 min taxi ride to the hotel for $4. Totally worth it to avoid waiting in a sea of people for the shuttle. Going back to the airport, the shuttle runs every 20 mins and waits at the hotel lobby front. Very convenient. The room was very clean and modern. The shower was a very nice waterfall style one. The pillows were excellent (important!) and generally there was nothing to gripe about EXCEPT the food. Granted, I only had fruit and yogurt for breakfast and chicken soup the night prior. The soup was 99% broth and a few smidges of chicken and veges laying in the bottom. Any can was better than this. Also in my fruit a couple grapes had mold on them which caused me to gracefully spit out the bite I was chewing at the time I saw the mold on the grape. YUCK! I would stay here again but I don't think I would pay $10 for a smidge of yogurt and moldy grapes again! Pack extra snacks!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank marylanddweller
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here on our last night in Costa Rica because of its proximity to the airport (other side of the highway) and the free airport shuttle service. The hotel is relatively new so the quality of the rooms and public areas is very good. The rooms are well appointed, clean and tidy, and quiet, so we got a good nights sleep ahead of an early departure. Check in and check out was fast and easy (even at 4.30am). The only downside we found was because of its location there are not many dining options nearby (some fast food places at Walmart next door) so you really have to eat at the hotel. Unfortunately their 'restaurant' lets the place down.
I would certainly use this hotel again for its location and its standard (but I'd get a taxi to eat out).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GummyShark
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Perfect place to stay near the airport. Clean, comfortable and easy—a no-brainer for a one or two night stay when flying in or out of Costa Rica. Front desk staff spoke English which was helpful when we first arrived and had questions about car rentals, phones, etc...

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank robyn14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Holiday Inn Express San Jose Airport
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
#5 of 27 in Alajuela
Barcelo San Jose
Barcelo San Jose
#12 of 77 in San Jose

Been to Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela? Share your experiences!