“Wonderful Experience”

and up
Zoo Ave General Admission Ticket
Ranked #2 of 48 things to do in Alajuela
More attraction details
Owner description: While educating the public about local wildlife, this zoo also breeds endangered animals for eventual release to the wild.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Zoo Ave is a sanctuary and the entrance fees help support their effort to re-establish parrots and other species of animals that need help. The zoo is beautiful, and offers a unique opportunity to zip line if you are brave enough. The iguanas moving about freely as well as the peacocks are a nice treat for anyone with a camera. It is evident that they love their animals. Do not miss the little concession stand close to the entrance; the pastries are amazing!

All reviews
"money goes"
"beautiful grounds"
"all sorts"

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We whiled away a sunny afternoon here (around 3 hours) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The zoo/sanctuary is nicely laid out and has an interesting variety of costa rican and other wildlife. One tip would be to take bug spray - by 5pm there were a few hungry bugs who decided we were dinner!

1  Thank JC_Traveller
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Zoo Ave was very nice. We had been warned that it wouldn't take us long to go through the zoo and not to plan a long time for the visit, but ended up spending 4 hours here. First off all the landscaping is incredible. There all sorts of flowers, palm trees, and other plants. The animal habitats are nicely designed. I am really into photography and love nature and animal pictures. Unfortunately, there are cages around most of the animals, so I had to pass on photographing them. There were some parrots at the entrance with no cages that made for some spectacular pictures. One thing we found, and were not expecting was a zip line ride over part of the zoo. It wasn't very expensive (compared to the bigger ones out in the countryside) and they had an option for a smaller child to go in tandem with one of their guides, which was perfect for my 5 year old son. You got to go on three zip lines; consider it a zip line "sampler" to see if you want to try one of the bigger, higher, faster, more expensive ones available in the mountains. The only negative was the peacocks by the snack area were really aggressive and nipped my kid in the leg. He didn't hurt him as much as scare him. We chased the peacock away and he ran to another table and stole a donut off their tray and took it out in the grass to eat it. Overall a very enjoyable afternoon and I got lots of good pictures.

1  Thank Moonpuppy41
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I liked this place very much, my kids (2) and wife (1 :-) enjoyed it so I am a happy camper.

We saw monkeys, birds, iguanas, worms, frogs, snakes (not on a plane), and all sort of plants. We were very happy to know that our entrance fee is used to help the park protect endangered species and save injured animals.

Funny thing, my kid (4 years old next month) saw a TV review of ZooAve about a month and a half ago, he loves nature and had been asking me (at least once a week) to take him there; after our visit today I am grateful he had that proposal.

We had an awesome time.