The single black spot of our eight day Costa Rican holiday: made so by incompetent and uncaring hoteliers.
To begin with, this property does not show up on GPS, or Google maps. After three hours of fruitless searching, we went to the airport and found the red cabs, and after some discussion, found one to follow to the property. Even he had to stop and ask. There are NO signs - and no parking on the grounds. Check in was further flawed by a manager who was more interested in the yoga bunny-of-the-day. Also, evidently, lighting the paths to rooms would be "unzen", but twisted ankles, are, of course, of no consequence. By the time we got to the food, the trout had sat under a heat lamp too long and was tasteless. The bartender, luckily, was a nice chap. Then we had to tear the manager away from his "friend" to get help with luggage, even though it was still during regular hours. The next morning, our tour guide for a whitewater rafting trip, couldn't find the place either. We couldn't reach them. The hotelier complained bitterly at being disturbed by his call - and by me trying to find the guide. Most innkeepers we encountered in CR (or anywhere) would have been up and trying to help us. Instead, he was barely civil, sarcastic and indignant at being woken. The grounds are lovely by day and do have a view. The cabin was clean and cute, Bring your own flashlights, and DO be convenient for them, and ask NOTHING, especially normal service, of the management.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- World-Class yoga instruction, acres of natural beauty, delicious healthy cuisine and spa services unrivaled in Costa Rica await inside the cloistered walls of this magical retreat. Tropical rain forest, active volcanoes, mountain cloud forests full of rainbows, breathtaking beaches and exhilarating white water rafting beckon the adventurer in you, all within a few hours drive of our eco-chic spa and wellness resort in the world's greenest country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon and Hotwire so you can book your Pura Vida Retreat & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat Hotel Alajuela
- Pura Vida Spa And Yoga Retreat
- Pura Vida Wellness Retreat Spa
- Pura Vida Retreat & Spa Costa Rica/Alajuela