“Breath of Fresh Air”

Hotel La Rosa de America
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed May 12, 2009

The place was beautiful, the grounds were perfect, the staff was friendly and attentive. We stayed on 2 separate occassions during our trip, both times were equally treated, rooms were clean and service was great. We needed a knife to cut up some mangos (which were delicious) (there are many mango trees in the area) and all we had to do was ask.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank planas54

Reviewed May 9, 2009

We stayed at La Rosa de America after we arrived late on our flight to CR, and the night before our morning departure 6 days later. The hotel was very clean and Robert was a very accomodating host. The hotel is in an out of the way quiet location, and is an easy 10 minute drive to the airport. I was happy with the service received, the rooms were small, but comfortable. The first night, our bathroom shower had a "calderon". It worked well enough. The second night our room had true hot and cold water in a recently upgraded bathroom. The breakfast was light, but good. Fruit, banana bread, cereal, coffee and juice. Breakfast starts at 7:30am. Since our flight left in the AM and we wanted to get to airport early, a to go bag was prepared for us the night before.
The hotel is gated and safe. I even left my beloved dive gear in the back of the rental car overnight ;-) The area around the hotel, to me appeared safe enough to walk to some of the nearby restraunts, although this is highly subjective since it is more of a residential area and not a resort area.
All in all I would say it is a good value for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Buda-Shaggie
Reviewed May 6, 2009

We stayed at Hotel La Rosa de America on our last night in Costa Rica after 10 days in various parts of the country. I did a lot of research on airport hotels and was very pleased with my choice. We didn't want to spend a lot of money, but we wanted something clean, comfortable and with a pool. The hotel exceeded all of these expectations.

The room was clean and comfortable for the 3 of us and the grounds were well manicured having the pride of ownership. They have free internet access with a computer in the reception area. The owners go out of their way to provide tourist information to guests. The pool was cool and inviting with chairs and chaise lounges to enjoy; a great way to relax after a week of traveling. It was also nice to have television after a week without it.

The owners/staff were exceptional (friendly, genuine and helpful with restaurant/tour recommendations.) We bought beer and wine for a very reasonable $3.00 per glass from the hotel while we relaxed poolside (when's the last time you got cold beer or a good glass of wine for that?)

One note....don't be put off by the cab ride from the international airport. We traveled through some fairly run down areas on the way to the hotel (perhaps simply the route our driver took to get the hotel as the return to the airport took a different route.) Once to the hotel it is a safe neighborhood with mini-mart, bar and several restaurants within 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk (again felt safe walking).

We had an early morning departure out of San Jose and had the cook in the hotel kitchen call a cab for us which took only 3 minutes to arrive. The cab ride to the airport took about 15 minutes and we arrived for our flight in plenty of time, perhaps too much time to kill! Highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a friendly, simple, clean hotel experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank coloparkers
Reviewed April 25, 2009

We stayed at Hotel La Rosa de America on our last night of a week long vacation because we had a 6:45 am flight out of SJO. The hotel is close to the airport (10-12 min ride at 4:30am), but far enough away so that we weren't right in the middle of a busy area. Finding the hotel was easy enough - I just followed the directions from their website. (we arrived from the Manuel Antonio area). There were quite a few restaurants very close to the hotel and the hotel provided a book with menus and suggestions, as well as a map, so we were able to choose where we were going to eat and how to get there before we left the hotel. We had a car, so we were able to drive ourselves, but taxis were just a phone call away.
The pool area was nice, as were the hotel grounds - they were beautifully landscaped and spacious. I didn't use it, so I can't comment on the speed, but it appeared there was a computer with internet for public use. There were also spa services available, but unfortunately we didn't have time for this.
Since we had to leave the hotel before breakfast time, Robert packed each of us a nice breakfast the night before and left it on our door - orange juice, a banana, and a good sized piece of banana bread - yum yum! The night before, he drew me a very detailed map to the airport and to our car rental return location - we had NO problems in the morning driving to the airport and I owe it to the extraordinary detail Robert took in making the map for me - thank you! (It's not a complicated drive to the airport... I just appreciate really good directions complete with landmarks and mileage - it certainly makes driving half awake at 4:30 am much easier!!)
This was my first trip to Costa Rica, but certainly not my last. I plan on returning to this hotel during my next trip. Thank you, Robert, for making our last night in Costa Rica a good one! Pura Vida!
Colleen

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank radiantsea
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I had mixed feelings about this hotel, but I give them an "A" for effort!

Service was very attentive and friendly. They really put a lot of effort into pleasing their guests, which was very commendable. Everything was very clean. The grounds were lovely! Nice towels and soaps.

Our room was so tiny, though! I know there's not much that can be done about that; the size is what it is. My husband and I were in a room that could supposedly sleep three. However, we needed the twin bed to put our carry-on luggage on (that's all we brought) because otherwise, there literally would've been no place to put it. We could not comfortably walk past each other in the room at the same time (and we're both thin!). There was no place to sit down except on the bed. I felt really claustrophobic and uncomfortable in there! Plus, I kept bonking my shins on the protruding wooden bed frame (again, hard to avoid doing that since the room was so small).

Also, I wouldn't recommend driving in to this hotel for the first time at night. We had enough trouble finding it during the day (thank goodness for the detailed directions we brought beforehand!). It was a bit farther from the airport than we were expecting. The night before we left Costa Rica, we stayed in Alajuela town which was much more convenient.

The price seemed a bit too high to me considering the room. We paid comparable rates (and less!) at other places in Costa Rica that seemed to provide a better bang for the buck.

This was a nice stop for one-night, but I wouldn't have wanted to stay any longer than that.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dpladyreed
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We stayed for three nights in February . Near to airport so good for arriving and leaving especially if you have some time to kill as it has a pool in a nice garden. Also a good centre for trips in the Central Valley, the bird park and Poas ( waste of time if its cloudy).
Nice breakfast, quiet location, clean rooms and restaurants close by.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taipo
Reviewed April 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights, one at the beginning of our trip and one at the end. It is about a 10 minute drive from the airport so is very convenient. Breakfast was nice, the rooms were large and clean and the owner was fairly helpful in relation to directions, things to do etc.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple